Anatomy of War: By Liam and Enemies

I have noticed the dozens of questions posted every week and the dozens of questions I have had and how rare it is to find answers and to get past the learning curb for a lot of you. If anyone would like I am going to post through an AAR and put some basic and indepth strategy in it to help a few players through, plus some Screenies... Think I shall include 2 PBEM Games I am playing. One vs Terif, the Master of Strategic Command Period. Plus another vs Zeke Tucker a very jubilant young Commander who can be good but has been away.

My Axis Opener:

We all weigh up the basics here for the Axis. To start with is timeline, Axis have one. Poland is a tough cookie if you strip forces to attack Denmark and Benelux and move into position for an early Conquest of France.

Primary goal in Poland if you're operating West to Kill Benelux/Denmark is to open a hole and the South is the Easiest place so far that I've seen to do this... Try to get at least 2 or 3 units adjacent to Warsaw as soon as possible before the weather gets bad and keep the rest of the Polish units cut off... kill the The Capitol and protect your flanks do not get isolated or lose Konisberg!!! Very Vital!!!

breakpolandmd0.png

Great Blunders Part I:

The Allies and The Axeman

You will never hold France as Axis unless you demoralize your Foe, most mistakes with Axis revolve around attempting to take early Naval Dominance in the wrong places and or attempting to do half arse job of a conquest...

This is something I'm extremely guilty of, I have been repeatedly beaten by Terif by attempting to Dominate his Navy with my Air or attempting to engage his fleet in unfavorable terms... and even more by a poorly planned invasion of a Neutral.

Rules are you shouldn't engage an enemy fleet unless the Terms are extremely favorable for you. Especially against a very skilled player, it may be a trap. Secondly Air Fleets in SC2 are way too expensive for the Axis to waste on firing away at Ships unless the goal is a longterm one...rarely is... Lastly, Neutrals must be carefully thought out and you must invade with the utmost secrecy and if not, the most firepower.. Though Axis are on a timeline you are going give the Allies plenty of time to react and plan their manuevers so doing what you have to do as quickly and as unexpectedly as possible without pattern AND with FORCE is the best way... I have lost 20 games to Terif in SC2 just because I didn't come with all my guns blazing!!! He's a player who'll not permit a weak move...be decisive

Here is a turn of Zeke's I'm playing, he has chosen a Slow Path into France and he failed to take Denmark on turn 2, I used this opportunity to kill his Fleet and take his Resources out in the North, this engagement has cost him his TimeLine, large portions of the Kriegsmarine, and I think that you'll see the end of the game as the UK now will own Denmark and Norway... and the entirety of Scandavia, lets see if Zeke is innovative enough to hit me where I am weak!

Im assuming Zeke declared war on denmark.The reason i ask is i declared war on denmark as the brits and U.S.readiness dropped right down to zero.It also greatly upset sweden,norway,swiss,finland.Im wondering if its a good idea to cause that?Did i just get unlucky?

No Zeke went after Denmark and attempted too many things at once, to block Norway also from the British Fleet...

This was opportunistic for me, Norway option was lost, I didn't want to send my guys home I look at the biggest payoff. Really I didn't intend to successfully stop Denmark, but I cost him up until Clear weather over Denmark and his entire fleet. 1 Corps landed above the German corps in Denmark, another under him, locking his fleet and his corps off supply, both had come out to greet me... In bad weather the Luftwaffe was grounded so there was no escape...

DOWing Denmark would be worth it if you 110% could kill the German Fleet... IMO

Denmark is a thorn for the Axis. They want it but can easily be duped into losing focus by attacking too early.

You MUST take Denmark in 1 turn and 1 turn only any delay can have serious consequenses on your fleet.

It gives the French Navy something to do. This is a bad thing the French Navy should just disappear when Paris is captured not actually have any value in the war.

I dont always but normally wait until Paris falls then I take both Denmark and Norway. This allows me control of the straights and enough air to keep those naughty British at bay or if they do try and prevent the landing in Norway it means they suffer real naval casualties.

I very rarely commit the Axis fleet prior to France being gone. I bring back the Atlantic Sub and keep the other subs pinned up until France falls. The can then screen my Norway landings and be available to convoy hunting duties.

Never forget though the British are a strange lot and many time scrafice good British troops by an early invasion of the German coast. You must keep at least a corp in that area to prevent there obtrusive behavior.

Benelux is to me a much better target early in my opinion. It should still be taken decisively but a failure is not as bad as Denmark.

Jim

This is a good tutorial for the amateurs, but veterans know the crux of SC is what you do after the fall of France and before Barbarossa.

This is a very crucial time for the Axis and IMO, Barbarossa must kick off early for Axis success against a veteran Allied opponent.

French surrender is not paramount as long as it occurs before the end of summer 1940.

What is important is preplanning for post France goals and this must occur before Fall Gelb, the proper leverage and positioning is a must.

Do not allow your strategy to be derailed by foolish British tricks. Stay focused, there can be much flexibility for the Axis, even in conjunction with Barbarossa.

Axis Key: effective early prosecution of Barbarossa.

Ah Seamonkey, as you argued so well on the Matrix games forum, the beauty of SC2 is the huge number of strategic directions. effective early prosecution of Barbarossa isn't the only way forward. I;ve won against good and experience Human players by focusing the Axis forces on knocking out the UK, if you do it hard and fast before the USA can intervene you can afford a gentle almost non effetive 41 USSR invasion because in 42 the whole Nazi war machine can head east.

that's why I love the game.but anyway back to Liam's tutorial. early 1939 /1940 decision can have dire consequences prior to Barby especailly if the Axis try going to sea while the french are about, or make the wrong expensive decisions with Spain or spend too much money upgrading / operating units that would be fine walking or will only be doing garrison duty or taking on North african tirbesman with sharpened mangoes

Axis should be buying lots of units in the early game though , corps, planes, tanks, whatever you pick you should be really spending a lot of cash on buying units. worry about the upgrades later, they don't need Tigers ,jets or IW3 against the brits, French or minors early. but manpower enables you to do a lot while you still remain supreme in the early game (39 to 42) at least so you can concentrate massive firepower at key points.

For me I always find the Med is just as key as Barby and offers more variety from game to game.

Originally posted by targul:

This is a bad thing the French Navy should just disappear when Paris is captured not actually have any value in the war.

I don't have a problem with the above thought, but what about the tactic of using the French Navy as a suicide force early in the game. May not be historical, but it can at least take out some Axis strength and/or at least find where they may be hiding/headed before France does fall.

Yes there's no reason for the allies to husband the French fleet - it should be used to the max for anything useful - scouting, sub-hunting, shore bombardment.

Thanks Minty and I of course agree with your assessment of many paths to glory, but ;) ......you knew that was coming...right?

I'll counter that a knowledgeable Allied opponent can stop a Sealion most of the time. I'll grant you that the UK must concentrate on that task and can't really afford outside transgressions like Norway and the Med.

After the threat of Sealion has passed.....watchout. If the Axis tips his hand too soon the UK can be a tough diversion and the Axis can't afford that preBarby. He must keep up the auspices of a massive neutral expansion that is imminent, making the UK react to his plans and not the reverse.

Anyway....there are probably other measures to an Axis victory and that's what we're here to discuss in the crucial time period, post France...pre USSR.

To me this is the challenge of today's SC2 Fall Weiss campaign, not to discount the other pitfalls that develop after Barbarossa, but never the less ....the Key: early posturing.

Heck, let's let the forum decide...plenty of good players here. I'll decree to their conclusion.

Well guys?

I tried blashys move of trying to take denmark,low countries in one turn and got burned by mud on 2 of the 5 att.I got it the other three times but against an allied player who suspects this you could be stopped.I did the hotseat aginst myself and was able to stop the germans.Part of the success depended on where the two belgium corps started at.I have played quite a few games and never found it mattered a great deal if france fell in early july or not.I think the key to france is to avoid excessive losses.

The reason you got burned is because you made the mistake of trying to do so when you are in "mud".

You should do it in clear weather, then it ALWAYS succeeds on the first turn with no amphibious or Paratroopers needed.

As for taking France, I think all experienced Axis players can take it without loosing one unit. It is actually not that hard.

Yep! Agree Blashy, pretty simple, as for Denmark, a couple of AF attacks and move in with a motorized corps.

Benelux, an army or armor after an AF or before, maybe another army, adios LC.

Collect plunder and bump readiness for next turn Fall Gelb. France in 3 or 4, maybe 5 if they got IW1 and the UK makes a big mistake and helps.

Latest start for Gelb, june 4, 40, its over by august.

Now what? tongue.gif

Blashy i operated the necessary troops to get benulux and denmark on my first turn.My next turn to attack i got mud.I should have waited and would probably have gotten clear weather the next turn but you never know.If you get clear weather turn two, those two countries are pretty much done.

What's the consequence for Axis of ignoring Denmark until after France falls? If you aren't going to get Norway anyway, and Allies can't declare war on Denmark without killing US readiness, seems like it would be safe to just leave it alone. That would allow you to save your AF attacks and hit LC/France with extra AF?

With out control of the Denmark straights your navy might just sink sooner then latter. Add to that the bump in Moral and that now you have to fight through Denmark go get to Norway (if you want it) and you have a recipe for the axis time table getting several pushed back.