It just means that the harsh winter has set in Russia, historically a big reason why Russia is such a tough country to invade. In SC2 this is represented by reduced attack abilities, and is usually a good time to reinforce your troops and upgrade units.

It's a Campaign Event described in Appendix A. of the manual.

Soviet Winter - A supply event. There will be a 75% chance per winter turn after December 21, 1941 that Axis occupied resources will suffer a 3-5 point resource strength reduction.
Hope that helps. smile.gif

I agree; I think losing points from storm damage is too severe. Perhaps losing morale or operational points would be more realistic? It really hurts to be shipping units over from the States only to lose 10% or more to weather. Atlantic storms made it harder to sail, I don't think you ever saw 10% of the ships in a task force or convoy sink to weather. Storms did slow down shipping to the point where they were only making a few knots headway.

In the situation i mentioned...it was dealing with the Russian Winter...where as Napoleone lost most of his men to the Cold Winter, the German's as well in WW2 lost a lot of men due to freezing!.

Infact, German Tank's and Artillery Pieces would not function when it got too-cold!.

The Russian's on the other hand were well aquainted with the detrimental effects of severe cold and had developed the necessary 'cold resistant' lubricant's to keep their machinery running throughout the winter season.

Sorry, Retributar, not trying to hijack your link but working in a related issue. Your point is valid; invaders of Russia suffered severely from being unprepared for winter. I think the game has the weather effects reversed: we should see naval units in storms lose morale, action points or the like, whilst Non-Finnish axis units should actually take randomized hit points as well as loss of morale and supply. From what I've read, the Germans lost 100,000 men in their first winter to over-exposure and frostbite, more men from weather effects than actual combat losses. As it currently stands, the winter in the game hardly deters them at all; merely holds them back a bit. Not quite as serious as having men dying at their posts and having to abandon equipment because it is frozen and won't start or operate. I wonder if it is possible to model this in the game?

Originally posted by Panzerkiel:

I agree; I think losing points from storm damage is too severe. Perhaps losing morale or operational points would be more realistic? It really hurts to be shipping units over from the States only to lose 10% or more to weather. Atlantic storms made it harder to sail, I don't think you ever saw 10% of the ships in a task force or convoy sink to weather. Storms did slow down shipping to the point where they were only making a few knots headway.

Keep in mind that strength point losses for ships don't always represent hulls lost. Damage to a ship will remove it from use for weeks or months - some of the Pearl Horbor survivors weren't back in the line for almost 3 years. So storm damage represents general wear and tear as well as the occasional outright sinking from bad weather.

Not quite the same thing, really. Comparing Pearl Harbor damages from a heavy air raid is one thing, damaged ships from weather is something else entirely. However the game abstracts ships, it still amount to 10% of a unit being killed, in that you have to spend MPP's to rebuild it. It's the same 10% you might lose in a surface combat. 10% from a 10-strength unit is severe, but that's my opinion.

Originally posted by Panzerkiel:

Sorry, Retributar, not trying to hijack your link but working in a related issue. Your point is valid; invaders of Russia suffered severely from being unprepared for winter. I think the game has the weather effects reversed: we should see naval units in storms lose morale, action points or the like, whilst Non-Finnish axis units should actually take randomized hit points as well as loss of morale and supply. From what I've read, the Germans lost 100,000 men in their first winter to over-exposure and frostbite, more men from weather effects than actual combat losses. As it currently stands, the winter in the game hardly deters them at all; merely holds them back a bit. Not quite as serious as having men dying at their posts and having to abandon equipment because it is frozen and won't start or operate. I wonder if it is possible to model this in the game?

Nice idea. Perhaps if supply is low and the units are in the area of rusian winter, they could take random hits like ships?

That is exactly what I am proposing. Units that are not in cities, but out in the open and lower on supplies should take strength point hits. The Germans lost a lot of men and equipment to weather that first winter. It could have been a much bigger tragedy for them, but Stalin's ineptitude helped prevent the worst for the beleagured Germans. Russian spearheads were overextended and the Germans eventually cut them off and annihilated them, negating the Soviet gains over the winter. The Germans took advantage of the lull in fighting that came about as the spring thaw began to refit their units for the new summer offensive to come.

One idea I was suggested quite a while ago was to include a script that worked similar to the Supply script but caused unit strength point losses instead.

I'm still thinking this would be a good idea but I just never had the chance to get back to it... although, perhaps with the game finally being released I just might get the chance ;)

Panzerkiel, Sombra -

Sounds like a very good idea. It might also go some way towards reducing what seems to be a common German advantage in highly-teched tanks and armies rampaging round the eastern front.