Point Based Naval Build Limits

I would like to see build limits for Naval fleets based on a point total, instead of fixed limits for each ship type.

This would give players greater flexibility to wage or respond to a battle for the Atlantic.

Example:

Naval Construction Points: 20

Battleship = 2 points

Crusier = 2 points,

Sub = 2 point

Thus I can build 10 subs (20 points) OR

5 battleships and 5 cruisers (20 points) OR

10 cruisers (20 points) OR

3 Battleships, 4 Cruisers and 3 subs (20 points).

[ January 19, 2007, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

At setup? Or player choice at some point? Would this be historical? You could play like a "buy your stuff mod". Buy all your units secretly as Allies. Submit your buys to a neutral mod-maker. Then the axis opponent does the same...buy crap & submit to the mod-maker. Then you play!

Agreed, it would give players a lot more flexibility.

Example:

Germany has 30 points for Armies, Corps and Armor

Armor costs 3 points

Army costs 2 points

Corps costs 1 point

Build 15 Armies OR

Build 10 Armor OR

Build 30 Corps OR

Build 10 Corps and 10 Armies OR

Build 20 Corps and 5 Armies OR

Build 5 Armor and 5 Army and 5 Corps

I like very much the idea of point build limits.

I would have a point build limit for all infantry units: Infantry Corps, Infantry Army, Engineers, Paratroops, and HQs. And a separate point build limit for all highly industrialized units: Armor, Air Fleet, Air Bomber, Subs, Cruisers, Battleships, and Aircraft Carriers.

Umm, given the build times on ships, I'm not sure that’s a good idea. All the build decisions for capital ships were made pre-war. It was very much a come as you are affair for those.

What I'd rather see is the ability to build the cruisers, subs, and carriers during the game with the mpp cost scaled to strength total. All the BB's were laid down beforehand, so skip them.

i.e. - I can build a 5 point cruiser for X mpps delivered in time Y (scaled to strength), instead of going for the whole fleet thing.

Think this would lead to more ship building. As is, other than subs, nobody bothers.