rough sea / bad weather damages

I admit that the idea of these damages at sea is quite nice, but i can't believe that they really happened so often in WW2.

And on the other hand subs should NEVER :mad: get any damages from bad weather, because these little friends got a little feature: they can simply DIVE :rolleyes: when it gets uncomfortable, don't they?

You ever been out on a boat where you can no longer see land? It's sort of tough to order parts from Federal Express & get them delivered. "Crap Happens". The majority of machinery doesn't work as well in the cold.

Ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle? Ships go where the waves take them...to the bottom sometimes. How about that Exxon Mobil Valdez ship? Great Captain? Edmonds Fitzgerald? How about the S.S. Minow? Posiden Adventure? Paul's journeys? The Russian Subs that get lost every year?

Better yet, how about that ship full of blaphemers who said,"Not ever God can sink this ship"?

-Legend

Sorry, but subs still dive if they don't feel like fighting the waves.

it is a different story when the russians refuse to put some money into their navy.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle? Ships go where the waves take them...to the bottom sometimes. How about that Exxon Mobil Valdez ship? Great Captain? Edmonds Fitzgerald? How about the S.S. Minow? Posiden Adventure? Paul's journeys..."?

Pah! Ever heard of the flying dutchman? so many centuries at sea, and still seen here and there.

;)

The subs lost many men to weather. In addition, with limited batteries and storms lasting many days, is was impractical to stay submerged for any length of time.

There are 53 UBoats MIA - Some undoubtedly to weather related accidents.

A couple of incidents from http://uboat.net/

"An incredibly sad event befell U-106 on this date. When the replacement watch opened the tower hatch in rough seas they found out that the entire previous tower watch of 4 men had been washed overboard. [Oberleutnant zur See Werner Grüneberg, Fähnrich zur See Herbert von Bruchhausen, Oberbootsmannmaat Karl Heemann, Matrose Ewald Brühl]"

"The first man lost from a U-boat in 1943 was during a storm when one man was washed overboard while saving the I WO. Also the commander was wounded and so the boat was brought back to base with the IWO in command on 16 Jan. "

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

You ever been out on a boat where you can no longer see land? It's sort of tough to order parts from Federal Express & get them delivered. "Crap Happens". The majority of machinery doesn't work as well in the cold.

Ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle? Ships go where the waves take them...to the bottom sometimes. How about that Exxon Mobil Valdez ship? Great Captain? Edmonds Fitzgerald? How about the S.S. Minow? Posiden Adventure? Paul's journeys? The Russian Subs that get lost every year?

Better yet, how about that ship full of blaphemers who said,"Not ever God can sink this ship"?

-Legend

You've obviously never been at sea JJvR.

Guest Mike
Originally posted by Blashy:

You've obviously never been at sea JJvR.

Not quite - he's almost always all at sea! smile.gif

@Blashy --- I'm the one defending your game design of ship losses! Get a clue! Do you understand that? The posters were dissing the damage done, and I'm defending it! Repeat, I'm defending the game. Repeat, I'm defending the game. So you don't like that?

Blashy, try to read for understanding, control your emotions for your worship of the Legend.

Listen Clones, I've spent 3 nights in the middle of Lake Michigan...and I sure didn't mock the power of God's water.

Bottom line, you send ships into the Ocean, Sea, Lake, River, whatever...stuff sinks by God. It ain't MotherNature, it ain't luck, it ain't whatever, it's God...just the way it is.

The Russians lose a modern submarine every 6 months. Titantic blasphemed, they sank. Idiot got drunk on Exxom Valdez, they got stuck. Get the idea?

Tony, I'm defending Hubert's design, it's great!

[ May 02, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

"With shakedown completed by the end of January, Soley departed Bermuda only to encounter a fierce Atlantic storm that seemed to last forever. The ship was assigned to patrol the Atlantic Coast on a "Secret Mission" which later proved to be in support of President Roosevelt's ocean crossing enroute to the Big Three Conference in Yalta. The storm would take it's toll on Soley in the form of loosened rivets, damage in the fantail area due to a depth charge broken loose, caved in bulkheads, and cracked seams. Many of the "old salts" who only recently were green recruits found it more comfortable sleeping in main deck passageways wrapped in their life jackets rather than chancing a trek below decks to their bunks. "

The North Atlantic is not a very fun place in the winter. Unless you really need to be there, get the heck out of the storm tiles.

I guess fighting U-boats would qualify under "really needing to be there." This leads to my next question: Are U-boats hindered by stormy weather in the game? If not, they should be. Although sailors hate being in stormy seas, it was a blessing in disguise, as it hindered the ability of the U-boats to hunt and operate against convoys. I said hindered, not made it impossible.

From the war logs,

"U 46 will be ready for operations within the next few days. She is to operate on the west coast of Portugal. At present this is the best area for U-boats operating against merchant shipping, as conditions in the winter are better."

Do what they did. Run south to the better weather.

Or stay and pay the price. A 1 point hit isn't to bad when you consider what the weather's doing to all those Allied ships out hunting you.

Ah, decisions, decisions…

The percentages might be wrong, but order should be right.
To be sure, just check the Manual. smile.gif

Subs SHOULD take less damage,

Due to all the reasons thus far elaborated.

Larger surface ships SHOULD be vulnerable

To storm damage.

Which can also be subsumed under category

Of "general wear & tear"

As also already mentioned herein.

One idea being:

Subs can last a little longer

Out there in the larger, yet

Not "actually-accurately-sized" Atlantic.

As Lars has said,

Find the clear weather zones as necessary. ;)

Stuff is getting thrashed in the sea all the time. Submarine, surface ship, whatever...when God calls the hit, you're dead, regardless of your Bunta or Yankee uniform. 250,000 got waxed last year, New Oreleans bye-bye, name it. Despite popular belief, man isn't calling the shots.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060503/ap_on_re_au_an/tonga_earthquake

A magnitude 8.0 earthquake struck early Thursday near the South Pacific nation of Tonga, prompting tsunami warnings for as far away as Fiji and New Zealand. The warning was lifted after a tsunami of less than 2 feet was recorded.

There were no reports of a tsunami or damage from the quake. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu lifted its tsunami warning for all areas within several hours. It said there was no data indicating that the earthquake generated a giant wave

For those saying U-boats could just duck the weather watch a German made move called Das Boat. Excellent movie about life aboard a U-Boat, part of the story covers a week long storm they had to endure and it certainly was tough.

Also the U.S. Navy fleet under Nimitz, I think it was Nimitz later in the war road out 2 typhoons months apart, almost all the ships were damaged and a few even sunk. If I remember my history right Nimitz even had to face a board of enquiry for all the damage the storms caused.

"The percentages might be wrong, but order should be right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be sure, just check the Manual. "

Hard to look in the manual while at the office ;) Well, at least without even further misusing my employers ressources... ;)

But the numbers were right... ;)

CharonJr

New Orleans? Well, that was one town in need of a flush.
Well, Panzerkiel,

You do seem to know a few things

About WW-2,

Borrowed history and the like,

But this comment is crudely myopic.

My son is down there now

With volunteer group,

Spending his own money

Trying to help clean up the mess

Left when the US Government

Dismantled FEMA over the last 6 years,

For stupid political reasons.