Looks Very Disapointing

Sombra

Remember that you can go without engineers, skip HQ assignments, let jets use the old auto intercept rules, these are options built into the game.

Also remember that upgrading units due to tech increases isn't something you do every turn, it might only be done 1 out of 10 turns.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, 2D vs Iso (it's not really 3D).

I've had a lot of the same thoughts that have already been posted. When it comes to strategy games I prefer 2D. It just makes it easier to grasp the spatial relationships. Iso does inherently distort distances to the eye. Did anybody even use the Iso option in TOAW?

But then there was Civ 2, which was Iso, and that was a classic. Guess I'll have to wait for the demo to make my mind up (but a toggle would be ideal, people like options).

Hex vs Square.

Probably a bigger change. For instance, with a hex system you only need six units to surround one, with a square it'll take nine. And moving on the diagonal always seems a little strange to me in a square based system. Those envelopements are going to be a little tougher to pull off, that's for sure.

But that's Hubert's job to balance that one out. ;)

How about we think of them as diamonds instead of tiles. That way diagonal moves will be easier. :cool:

Heck, I'd play the game if we had circles, or triangles, or connect the dots. We are talking about Hubert here, its still WWII, and its still very similar to SC. And look at that editor.

An Awed KDG:

And look at that editor.

Yep, she's a beauty, ain't she? :cool:

Reminds me of the time back in the day when I first laid shades on that '65 GTO sittin' in that there sales lot with pennants flapping all over the flip-flop place.

Had that Goat-nose low down munching gears & bolts off the tarmac, raked up real steel cool nasty! she was.

And when you would run yer hand on along that wood grain inset in the dash, yep, you may just as well have been sliding along slow through 10,000 year old Redwoods out in Gods' Country, Californ-I-A!

Yep, that 19 & 65 model show-boat Goat was a rip roaring Beauty, no stray Cat could say nay or floy-floy jake, or otherwise...

Just that like that new SC2 Editor we got whining on down the Pike, nose jutted out and down, oh, justa skootch... and eating up! those blurred white-lines on 'at Glory Road... :cool:

Originally posted by KDG:

How about we think of them as diamonds instead of tiles. That way diagonal moves will be easier. :cool:

Heck, I'd play the game if we had circles, or triangles, or connect the dots. We are talking about Hubert here, its still WWII, and its still very similar to SC. And look at that editor.

Doesn't help me, I'm a draftsman. I know in my bones it's an iso square.

And if Hubert gives us circles I suppose you'd just want me to deal with ellipses. ;)

To be honest I dont think many people are going to look at this games graphics and think wow look at that I will buy this.

The only people who will buy this game are wargamers. The type your talking about are looking at the latest RTS and thinking wow not ISO graphics which are very dated by todays standard.

I can see peoples point if it affects gameplay but not just because it doesnt look like a wargame. Also from what I can gather SC wasnt some grognard complicated strategy game. It was easy to get into and was designed at getting people into wargames which cant be a bad thing.

And if this game does entice more people into our hobby then it can only be a good thing. The more people to buy the more likely further games will be made.

It looks pretty 'fair' to me. I think your expectations are a bit lofty. I like what I see and I hope Hubert designs exactly what I'm imagining. It'll be the most popular Hex Strategic Wargame in History of PC