Withdraw Behaviour Tested

A typical Regular German squad, in command (no leadership bonuses), will behave as follows if given a 50 meter withdraw order toward the rear, through cover, with no enemy in sight, and not taking fire.

It WILL immediately hit the dirt. It WILL immediately become at least Shaken, but will be in a Panic state the VAST majority of the time.

Nevertheless, in no more than six seconds, it will respond to the withdraw order by turning and running for the rear.

At the beginning of the next orders phase there is about a 40% chance it will be Pinned, and a 40% chance it will be OK. The other 20% of the time it will be Shaken, Cautious, or Alerted.

Imagine what would happen if this squad were taking fire. It might go into suicide sneak mode.

Treeburst155 out.

[ November 04, 2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I have found that troops given a Withdraw order do usually follow it, though they tend to ALSO become Panicked (much as Treeburst found). I kind of like this mix - you can get them out, but you may not be able to get them to do anything else for a good long while.

It's particularly nice for vehicle crews in Operations. Other than that, I rarely use Withdraw (though for what it's worth, I rarely used it in CMBO either).

Originally posted by xerxes:

Disagree, run is extremely useful.

Well, in my experience, running under fire will garner you a high casualty rate.

If you're just talking about hurrying somewhere that troops are needed but with a covered approach, then certainly it could be useful. Tiring, but useful.

You see, that doesn't make sense. I can understand that withdrawn troops aren't going to be in good morale after running away but to have them panic or break makes no sense.

If me and my comrades are getting suppressed by enemy fire and things are looking bleak, having my superior tell me to withdraw would be music to my ears. Why would I suddenly go into a panic or break?

Furthermore, if I'm withdrawing my soldiers to fight again another day, it doesn't make sense that they would then break from that command. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the command? If I just wanted them to break, I'd leave them there to take more fire.

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

If me and my comrades are getting suppressed by enemy fire and things are looking bleak, having my superior tell me to withdraw would be music to my ears. Why would I suddenly go into a panic or break?

You may be misinterpreting what that state is intended to model, at least in this case. I don't think that "panicked" means that the troops are in a state of hysteria so much as that due to the hastiness of the order and their execution of it, they are presently in a disorganized condition and it will take a minute or two to get them straightened out and functioning as a unit again. Which would seem quite reasonable to me.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

You may be misinterpreting what that state is intended to model, at least in this case. I don't think that "panicked" means that the troops are in a state of hysteria so much as that due to the hastiness of the order and their execution of it, they are presently in a disorganized condition and it will take a minute or two to get them straightened out and functioning as a unit again. Which would seem quite reasonable to me.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Treeburst, is there some point you're after making, or do sudden observances just burst out of you randomly, Da Vinci like, as you piss around with the works in a random manner?

Best to cap that tube of glue and open a window.

Originally posted by Maxx:

Best to cap that tube of glue and open a window.

Bah! He's had so much fun spending several hundred man-hours proving the AI doesn't cheat that he's gone mad, and started testing random things for no apparent reason at all, and with no conclusions drawn from it.

Anyone can toss out an observance like a lump of meat and then stand back to see if it'll be swarmed by jackals.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Is this your idea of playfulness, Seanachai? Or are you just being a jerk?

Always with the negative waves, Deadmarsh!

I could, of course, answer that being a jerk is my idea of playfulness.

But mainly, I'm just trying to sort out where you're coming from these days. You seem so uptight, so bitter. So unwilling to actually learn.

It's so unlike you. I worry about you, lad.

Michael</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tabpub:

As heard at "Frozen Chosun"..."Hell, no, we're not retreating!! We're just attacking in a different direction!"

Name the Marine General for a Kewpie doll.

"Chesty" Puller.

Should I send you instructions on where to send my doll?

Michael</font>

Is this your idea of playfulness, Seanachai? Or are you just being a jerk?

Always with the negative waves, Deadmarsh!

I could, of course, answer that being a jerk is my idea of playfulness.

But mainly, I'm just trying to sort out where you're coming from these days. You seem so uptight, so bitter. So unwilling to actually learn.

It's so unlike you. I worry about you, lad.</font>

Originally posted by Gyrene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tabpub:

As heard at "Frozen Chosun"..."Hell, no, we're not retreating!! We're just attacking in a different direction!"

Name the Marine General for a Kewpie doll.

"Chesty" Puller.

Should I send you instructions on where to send my doll?

Michael</font>