Commandos raid at Vaagso, Norway

Dear sirs,

After 6 months of playtesting with some of CM's top players this scenario is now posted at the Scenario Depot .

To wet your appetite here is the General Briefing;

Commando Raid in Norway V 2.0 (11th May 2002)

Weather: Clear, Dark, Damp.

Time: 04.30am

Date: December 27th 1941

Map: Large

Author: Terence McLaughlan (Capitalistdoginchina)

E-mail: terry@public.sta.net.cn

Historical Information;

After the fall of France in 1940 Britain was primarily on the defensive. Offensive action was hardly possible at all, public morale was at a low ebb and good news from the war was few and far between. The home front was busy preparing for the possible German invasion across the English Channel (Operation Sealion). It was under these circumstances that Churchill and his advisors determined upon the active raiding policy that led to the formation of the Commandos to strike back at the Germans, no matter how small the raids.

The first Commando raid took place less than 3 weeks after the first units had been formed. On the night of June 23rd/24th Major (Later Brigadier) Ronnie Todd and 120 officers and men of No. 11 Independant Company put to sea in 4 RAF crash boats to decend on the French Coast near Boulogne. The legendary Commandos were about to make history.

In July 1940, Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes, the hero of the Zeebrugge raid (1918) was made Chief of Combined Operations. However, He was to be continually frustrated during his 15 month reign, and with 4,000 picked volunteers mostly undergoing only training exercises he resigned with only a few minor raids accomplished. Lord Louis Mountbatten, who succeded Keyes on October 10th 1941, brought in immense energy, imagination and determination to the task at hand. As a cousin of the King, and the personal selection of the Prime minister, he planned a very different type of raid within 2 months of his appointment - The Raid on Vaagso, Norway.

Despite hostility and scepticism in Whitehall, the strategic value of the highly successful Commando raids in the "Lofotens" and at "Vaagso" was out of all proportion to the actual damage done: the German High Command was forced to employ valuable troops on mere garrison duties, away from the decisive battles in Russia, the Balkans and North Africa.

About this scenario;

The Germans were obtaining valuable supplies of Cod and Herring Oil from Norwegian Factories, the oil was made into Glycerine for explosives and vitamins "A" and "D" for the German Army, while large quantities of frozen and fresh fish and prawns were being exported to Germany. The destruction of Fish Oil Factories, a target chosen by the British Ministry of Economic Warfare, was the major objective of the expedition to Vaagso.

This scenario depicts the British Commando raid that took place at Vaagso, Norway on December 27th 1941. The Raid was led by Rear Admiral H.M. Burrough and Brigadier J.C. Haydon and consisted of 51 Officers and 525 men (From no. 2, 3, 4 and 6 Commando units) accompanied by two detachments of Royal Engineers for the demolitions. The Naval forces included the 6 inch Cruiser "Kenya" and the Destroyers "Chiddingfold, Offa, Onslow and Oribi" from the 17th Destroyer flotilla.

The tactical objectives were the destruction of the German Garrisson, the demolition of the Fish Oil Factories, Cannery Factories and to silence the Maaloy Island Battery consisting of 4 x 75mm Belgian made guns.

In the early hours of the morning on December 27th as the Commandos launched their landing craft the Cruiser "Kenya" opened fire with Star Shells to illuminate the target, 30 seconds later she began the bombardment of the Maaloy Island Battery, a few minutes later the Destroyers joined in. The Germans were completely surprised. It is at this point that this scenario begins............

Important notes:

The commandos have been allocated the task of initial medium size, fast lightning raids (Details in allied briefing) and sabotage missions prior to the arrival of the main airborne force. Their clandestine objectives, once completed will pave the way for the main British attack.

Most German units are in a state of weariness or exhaustion to simulate sleepiness and a slow reaction time to the alarm at 04.30am.

Both sides will have several objectives. Both sides will have multiple choices to make during the battle as to where to deploy forces. Both sides will be reinforced several times throughout.

Designed specifically, and only for Play By E-Mail (PBEM). This scenario does not work against the AI as either side, so don't try.

Hope you all enjoy it. Available for download here Scenario Depot

CDIC

[ June 15, 2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Captitalistdoginchina ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played Capitalistdoginchina's scenario, and I must say, it is one of the most enjoyable I've played in a long time. The timing of his reinforcent pool, the design of the map and the research involved all manage to come together in splendid fashion to create a superb example of why we love CM. Cheers to this gentleman and his hard work. It's senarios like this that keep CM alive on so many hard drives.

I playtested an earlier version of Terry's wonderful battle and without giving anything away, it is superlative. It may have been the best

fight I've ever had in CM and I've had plenty. Both players are tasked with difficult decisions.. the fighting is.. ahem, well it was intense...the new map/briefings etc are even better than the original. It is a must-play.

Terry has emerged as one of the masters of CMBO battle design. Ten out of ten.

Fun fact, right now i am sitting in Florö, thats just 10 minutes south of Maalöy... smile.gif

I will have to check out this mission, for sure... smile.gif

Another fun fact: That raid could just as easily struck florö, which had many similar targets...

Hi There "Release"

Do you have a digital camera? If you do maybe you could drop me some pictures if you see any old WW2 relics or landmarks, that would be extremely interesting for me. Especially the Haagen Hotel, Ulvesund Hotel and the original fish oil factories.

Don't worry if you have no time, your Vacation is more important smile.gif

Cheers

CDIC

I do in deed have a digital camera, but i am afraid it will be hard to find any traces of the raid...

I will however see if i can find any pics for you, but it may take some time, vacation and all..

Keep watching this space! smile.gif

Originally posted by SpazManOught:

How small was this raid?

was it this small?

see that full stop? thats the same size as your brain that is.

Not too sure what you are refering too, or who's brain you think is a wee bit small - but the raid itself was the largest Commando Raid of the War at that time.

Here are some details;

51 officers and 525 men (approx 1 battalion in CM terms) took part in this raid, in addition this was the first combined raid which utilized elements from the RAF, Royal Navy and the Army.

Summary of Action

Allied Forces: Air- Bomber Command and Coastal Command; Sea - Cruiser H.M.S. Kenya, Landing Ships H.M.S. Leopold and Prince Charles, Submarine H.M.S. Tuna plus four destroyers; Land - No 3 Commando, two troops of No 2 Commando, a medical detachment from No. 4 Commando and demolition experts from No. 6 Commando, a Royal Norwegian Army Detachment.

Axis Forces: Air - Luftwaffe Heinkels, ME 109s and JU 88s. Land - 150 men from 181 Division, 50 troops on leave in the area,

Outcome (positive) - successful destruction of coastal defences, oil and fish factories, radio transmitters, stores, a lighthouse, a power station, 9 merchant ships totalling 15,000 tons and four Heinkels. 30,000 additional German troops deployed to the Norwegian sector taken from other fronts but notably the Atlantic Wall. 150 Germans killed, 98 captured and 71 Norwegians took passage to the UK.

Outcome (negative) - 17 Commandos and 2 R.N. personnel killed. Two Beaufighters and a Blenheim (Hampden?) shot down.

I would say it was a little bigger than the dot you mentioned :rolleyes:

CDIC

PS. Any takers for Windstarz? He still needs an opponent.

[ July 03, 2002, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Captitalistdoginchina ]

CDIC,

I also have to commend you on this scenario. I'm in the middle of a PBEM with it right now. I'm playing the German side and feel like I'm getting my butt kicked, but it's fascinating and I'm still having a lot of fun! Oh yeah, my friend also claims to be having fun too. Now whether that's due to his liking the battle or liking the fact that he's been pushing right over my forces on almost every front ... I don't know. smile.gif

Thank for putting this together!

• 2 weeks later...

CDIC,

The Map Rocks...

I think the raid was in an edition of a magazine showing pictures of the battle site the and now.

I shall see if I can dig it out once I get my house unpacked after decorating.

I have yet to start this game as I need to focus on the tourney which you escaped from, damn you...

;)

BTW if you designed any of those tourney games let it be either the game with those damn mountains or the defence of the German town on the side of the hill. Both maps rocked and the game balance was quite good.

Anyway just thought I would say hello and let you know your work is liked.

Now if you can e-mail me any tips on the game as an Allied attacker that would be great...

:D

H