The difficulties of MODing?

Truthfully, how hard is MODing? I want to know because I want to do a MOD or two, but I am not a graphics guy... I looked a bit at that new site Mods and Modders and it was helpful... I'm just wondering how it all begins and how difficlut it is and is there a lot of pixel by pixel altering and how do apply camo and things...

The best to learn is to just pick one specific Mod you want to do and go for it.

If you are using Photoshop or something similar you should devote most of your time learning how to use the Layers and the Masking tools along with the cloning, airbrush, dodge and burn tools.

The path tool in Photoshop is well worth learning also.

Gyrene

This one IS the right thread.

Is it difficult?

Two answers really: If you wanna do it like AndrewTF, Bergman and the other MOD greats, then yes, it's difficult. You'd need a lot of practice, a more than fair amount of actual skill, an intimate knowledge of the program you're using to MOD, research (if you wanna go the historically correct way) and lots and lots of (spare) time.

If you wanna do it like me, and dabble a bit with Paint, but still come up with the odd satisfactory result that actually looks nice, then no, it isn't (That is, if you stay away from vehicles, which makes things a lot easier IMO).

Let's face it, I've got zip skills, but for a guy with my 'talent' my mods aren't utter crap, and I even use most of them myself (and I'm picky).

Oh, and applicationism goes a long way, in my case. ;)

Anyway, it actually begins with actually choosing what you'd like to MOD, and start doing it, come what my. Expect a lot of 'trial and error' stuff, if you've never done this before.

That's the way it started for me, anyway.

Good luck!

Find a good paint program that you feel (JASC, Picture Publisher or Photoshop) comfortable with and just start playing around changing hues, adding textures using overlay merge modes (to overlay the textures while not losing the detail beneath; learn to use masks to section off areas to work on, et. al. It's not as difficult as it sounds and can be quite fun (till you burn out on it smile.gif )

tigerIItiger2.jpg

[ February 02, 2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Tiger ]