New Nvidia Drivers Official Release

The beta versions of these drivers apparently fixed the FSAA bug that has been in since after the 30.87's came out. I am interested to hear from anyone that can confirm that this was finally (once more) fixed in these official drivers as well.

To test, make sure you have anti-aliasing enabled and launch the game. In earlier drivers (after 30.87) you would have to alt-tab out and back into the the game in order to get the text to appear.

Madmatt

I never did try the beta versions of this driver. I usually just wait for the official release and had heard of the AA fix, so i was looking forward to this release.

Anyways, i just uninstalled my old 53.03 drivers and installed the new 56.64. Im happy to report no problems at all with CMAK, especially the AA problems. Hell yeah, my alt-tabbing days are over, time for a drink. ;)

Edit: Running it on a Geforce FX 5800 Ultra(a.k.a. The Leaf Blower) on WinXP SP1.

[ March 16, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

I tried the 56.64's with a GeForce 3 64Mb on Win2K SP4 with 4X AA and 4X Anisotropic filtering. No problems w/ CMAK v. 1.01. Alt-Tab'ing wasn't needed for any screens I saw (in a quick run-through). I expect that GeForce 4's and FX's will work similarly well, though they were the models that probably suffered the most with the AA bugs.

The 56.55 Betas also worked similarly well on this system.

Some interesting tidbits from the Release Notes:

Antialiasing Problems With Certain Applications:

Antialiasing in the NVIDIA Direct3D driver requires each new frame to be rendered from scratch. This requirement adversely affects applications that render only that portion of the content that has changed since the last frame. A common symptom of this problem is geometric structures that incorrectly disappear and re-appear as the scene shifts.

Though I don't know what specific CM problem to attribute this feature requirement to (especially since we're no longer seeing it in the 2D screens). Though I'm sure Charles had a good idea what was going on with the previous NVidia drivers.

[ March 16, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Just installed it and have played a couple of PBEM rounds with no problems. I cranked up AA and AF both to 8X with no problems. Tanks look great (no jaggedness at all) but everything also looks softer than before (nature of the beast I suppose). Will take some getting used to but I will keep it.

Never had any of the NVidia problems before but then again my card was set up to let the software decide the AA/AF settings so it never had the chance to bugger me up.

Edit - I'm now running an FX5900XT/128MB - a bit faster than my original GeForce 32MB ;)

[ March 16, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Kulin ]

Hey, i just noticed something odd with these new drivers. The smoke/fire now shows through the info/kills box. Im pretty sure this wasn't the case before these drivers. But its not a big deal at all.

To see if this little quirk happens with your pc, just click a unit, click enter to bring up the info/kill screen and then position that screen over some smoke.

Yes - I noticed it too. Not a big deal for me either.

I also get some weird afterglow effect when I click to remove the opening screen (with the tank firing at night) when I start the game. It's in the center of he screen for a second and it's kind of like that burned in effect you get on your retina when a flash goes off in your eyes. (but more psychadelic). That's not a big deal either.

Originally posted by Andrew Kulin:

I also get some weird afterglow effect when I click to remove the opening screen (with the tank firing at night) when I start the game. It's in the center of he screen for a second and it's kind of like that burned in effect you get on your retina when a flash goes off in your eyes. (but more psychadelic). That's not a big deal either.

Yeah i noticed that too, but again no big deal.

Pheasant,

I got them from the www.nvidia.com site, I assume that is where you are going? If you can't get them, drop me a line and will email it to you.

Guys, I got the same goofy screen for a 1/2 second, but again, not a big deal. I also get the white background the ugly color blue occasionally, but is fixed by the ever popular alt tab.

Rune

Update: I switched back to the 53.03 and for sure my FPS went up a lot like, 20-30 more fps than with the newer ones. I think I'll be sticking with the 53.03 set for now.

Remember, a few drivers back we had the performance hit too, but this is not quite as bad as then, but still too much for me.

Well, they definitely fix the alt-tab AA problem but performance in Combat Mission is noticeably down from where it was with the 53.03 drivers.

I used to have no problem with FPS at 4xs - 8 aniso. Now I have to use just 4x - 8 aniso for the same FPS but at that setting the "shimmering" effect is very noticeable... :(

I might go back to the 53.03 and deal with the alt-tabbing, which is less annoying than the very distracting "shimmering" effect. Oh well...so close!

Jordan "AstroCat"

Originally posted by Madmatt:

The beta versions of these drivers apparently fixed the FSAA bug that has been in since after the 30.87's came out. I am interested to hear from anyone that can confirm that this was finally (once more) fixed in these official drivers as well.

To test, make sure you have anti-aliasing enabled and launch the game. In earlier drivers (after 30.87) you would have to alt-tab out and back into the the game in order to get the text to appear.

Madmatt

[ March 17, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: AstroCat ]

I've tried these new drivers-56.64,I got AA at 4x

,AF at 8x,I've tried it on CMBB and it's hit or miss but it seems to freeze on me from 2-3 mins,

to 10-mins,old 53.04's/06's and worked very well with

AA/AF on,I have:

P-111-1.2 gig

MOBO-Asus-TUA-266

Win-98-SE

Gainward GF-4-4400-128mb-goldensample

1-gig-DDR-2100-ram

these 56.64 are ok or maybe the drivers got coorupted who knows?

I've noticed that on my GeForce2 MX 400 the latest driver works well except like many other previous patches the 2D graphics suffer a hit. At least this is noticeable when in map editor, which now takes terribly long to scroll (over a second). IOW for map editing and especially for Mapping Mission exports I have to temporarily go back to 30.82.

Also the driver by default had some new features enabled, which caused glitches and slowdown in Windows. Turning these off helped.

I don't know if these are simply something to do with my old card or common among others. Otherwise I have enjoyed my 56.64.