Any differences between CDV and US versions apart from the obvious?

This is just something that popped up to mind when reading some of the reviews for the CD scenarios on Scenario Depot.

For example, someone wrote that they got essentially a free ride racing their tanks to the flag in The Iron Roadblock and got a total victory, but I remember trying that the first time and losing every tank before they got halfway through.

Same for Balkovzky Surprise, where I lost all the tanks that had a decent chance of denting T-34's within the first two turns two times in a row (and then gave up that scenario). It's like these people are playing a different game. Either I have extremely bad luck, or some unknown quality of suckage, which only affects me, even when I try the same tactics as someone who's won that scenrio easily.

[ October 31, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

There is a bug when a German CDV owner starts a PBEM with a US gamer. But that doesn't influence combat mechanism.

Ah yes, and the CDV version has the safedisk copy protection which of course is a substancial technical difference. Reports of failure had been low so far, though (doh!).

I'm jinxed. And probably also so far managed to hit every unbalanced scenario in the game.

So far the game has ran despite Safedisk, unlike two other games, which stopped working when I bought an LG DVD-ROM... fingers crossed.

[ October 31, 2002, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

I remember back when the original CMBO demo first came out BFC took some pride in stating that if you play the same game twice totally different outcomes can occur. You, I guess, are living proof of that. One man's cake-walk is another man's deathride!

I hear the CDV and U.S. games do have very VERY minor differences (tweaks that made it one one disk but not the other) but the upcoming 1.01 patch will totally iron every thing out.

Originally posted by Joques:

Just curious: I have read reports about using satchel charges (presumably in the US version) where you use area fire and are asked "Use explosives?" In my version, explosives are used automatically, it's impossible not to use them.

Use the area fire command with pioneer troops at less than 30m distance and the "use explosive" text will appear with the target information.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Use the area fire command with pioneer troops at less than 30m distance and the "use explosive" text will appear with the target information.

Yes, but there seems to be no way to avoid using the explosives. I just thought I'd read that there would be.