Vehicles kill themselves

Did anyone ever have a heavy PSW which managed to kill itself? I´ve seen a gun (American howitzer) shooting at 5m and getting knocked out by that. I heard about a Hummel doing such a thing, but then a Hummel´s front armor is paperthin and its blast is quite high. Although the PSW is not really heavily armored it´s much better than a Hummel and the blast of the 75mm gun is much lower.

My PSW shot at a crew at 15m, but then after the 5th shot it suddenly got knocked out. As there was nothing else near I became suspicious and opened the kill list of the PSW and it actually got its own kill. Just great. The crew even cheered their kill before they bailed out...

[ September 19, 2002, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

Just today I had one of my Panthers knocked out in a very interesting way; almost like knocking itself out.

The Panther was routing some infantry and had taken position wedged between a building and the edge of woods, with no room to spare.

A bazooka (I heard it) immobilized my Panther, but the crew kept firing merrily away.

In the next turn, and about three Panther shots later, the building it was next to caught fire. The Panther was immediately abandoned despite not taking any hits. I didn't hear any shots either.

I'm fairly certain that the immobilized Panther crew abandoned because the building it was next to caught fire. Infantry can't be in a burning building, and vehicles can't be next to them. Not able to move because the tank was immobile, the crew abandoned.

The remaining mystery is why did the building catch fire? It was undamaged and heavy. There were no flamethrowers in the scenario, and the heaviest calibre arty was 80mm mortar. My only clue is that the building caught fire immediately after the Panther fired. Could the building have caught fire because of the Panther's fire, much like buildings sometimes catch fire when a bazooka is fired from within a building. Is that realistic?

Did the Panther shoot at the building? It might have cought fire by that (at least that happens to woods and wheat fields from time to time). Even 2" mortars can start fires, so your 81mm could have done it, but a mortar shell usually brings many brothers with it, so you would have noticed.

Maybe even a muzzle flash is enough to incinerate a house. Does anyone know?

I was playing a game against the German AI and I saw a Nashorn knock itself out. It had LOS to one of my tanks but when it fired it hit the corner of the building it was beside and KO'd itself. I thought it was weird when it didn't fire at me and it took a few viewings of the replay for me to figure out what happened.

Eric

I once lost a Jackson in a similar way. I had given the vehicle a bombardment target about 100m away when some 'schreck-toting infantry showed up in the rear. I plotted an escape route to good cover about 70m downrange but forgot to cancel the target order.

The AI apparently decided that if 70m was a good distance, then 100m must be better and sure enough, the Jackson drove right up to the impact zone and killed itself. It even posted its self-immolation under the "Kills" tab on the info sheet.

I have seen a similar scene too. In ' Far From Over ', against the AI, I had a Tiger II fire its' nuagewhatchacallit gizmo ( close defense weapon ) at a GI squad on its port side. Just about the time the little explosive grenade comes flyin' outta the launcher along comes my Wirblewind rite up beside the Tiger II, Poompf !!!, and the Wirblewind is knocked out. Not exactly killing itself, however it was still very cool. I said to myself, " Ya know, this is one hell of a game..."

I guess those open topped afvs are just so much more vulnerable, if these posts are anything to go by.

Cheers,

Eric Tuggle

To clarify my previous post, the heavy (small) building was 180 degrees behind my Panther. The building was even occupied by a friendly infantry squad, so there was no enemy zook inside.

It was as if the program equated the recoil of the Panther to the kick back from a bazooka for building afire purposes.