The Nordic Championships (Part II)

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Keep me informed on the Torbhen situation. He may just find his way back to the friendly lines.

Fight ON!!

Torbhen called in. He apparently became a farher last week. A plausible excuse I quess but I at least had a 9 month warning period before the big day arrived. :D

I hereby request a continuance on this one. We are at turn 10 and things are just heating up...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Joseph Porta:

Hmmm...

What if CM:BB comes out before we end this tourney ? ;)

THEN we'll see some defections I believe... :D

I don't think it's a problem for the first round of the tournament. However, if CMBB is available for the final (second) round we may have to vote whether we want it to be played with CMBO or CMBB. That shouldn't cause any defections, quite the opposite.

To support this I'm designing the ideas for the final round games on paper, for abstract sides, and implement them and add local flavor with whatever version is chosen at the time. Yes, I think it can be done. :D

I'm definitely against using CMBB on the tournament, though not very optimistic about playing after the first round. smile.gif

The reason is simple: my current hardware (166MHz AMD, 32Mb memory, 12Mb Voodoo 2) barely runs CMBO, even the Economy of Force and Enough is Enough -scenarios are a bit slow to play. Thus, I'm not going to get CMBB before I update my hardware to other than medieval standards... :(

-Lunael

Nabla,

IIRC we are going with the 4 player/three scenario schedule for the playoffs? If so, we have to deal with the fact that each scenario will only be played two times. This won't give us a very reliable median, eh? I know we talked about this earlier, but how did we decide to handle it? I can't remember. :confused:

Treeburst155 out.

IIRC we are going with the 4 player/three scenario schedule for the playoffs? If so, we have to deal with the fact that each scenario will only be played two times. This won't give us a very reliable median, eh? I know we talked about this earlier, but how did we decide to handle it? I can't remember. :confused:

I think we're going to use the nasty competitive version: one point for the player who gets a better CM score than the other guy who's playing the same side. That is, if we have players A-D, and they play a scenario with end results

A 81 - B 19

C 80 - D 20

Then A and D get one point and B and C get zero points. Of course the example illustrates the extreme case when the difference between the scores on the same side is minimal.

This is a very competitive scheme in the sense that it does not suffice to do pretty well. You really have to push it in order to get a better CM score, otherwise you'll end up with zero. I think it's ok in the final round.

[ February 12, 2002, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Nabla ]

I remember now. I like it! Perhaps I will offer the Wild Bill people a chance to do the playoffs like this. One thing though, there's a very good chance we will get a tie, don't you think, with four people whose scores will all fall in the 0-3 range. We might have to have a final one scenario showdown. We would need a balanced scenario for that one, and we know how elusive balance can be.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Juha Keratar:

I'm definitely against using CMBB on the tournament, though not very optimistic about playing after the first round. smile.gif

Quit stalling then and send me the turn. :cool:

How many squads do you have on the map that require coaching ? ;)

Sit rep...

My games with Stefan and Tero are finished. Torbhen and I have settled down to a steady pace of an e-mail a day and are about halfway thru. No word from Lunael since my last e-mail to him on 02/09. Cogust responded to my second request for a game, but has since disappeared again.

I'm hungry for turns, but my cupboard is bare :(

Tere!

Anyone know where Dragon has dissapeared? We were having nice progress in our Devils scenario and I was hoping to meet the original deadline (today) but I haven't heard from him since 5.2. Well I think we will be done before the FINAL deadline if only he would respond to my inquaries.

Anyway who will advance from these first rounds and how will they play in the next round?

-TNT-

Originally posted by Tuomas:

Anyway who will advance from these first rounds and how will they play in the next round?

Winners of each section will continue to the second round. They will play three scenarios, one against each opponent. For the scoring used in the final round see my reply to Treeburst155 above. We haven't yet decided how possible ties (when victories are summed up) are handled.

I remember now. I like it! Perhaps I will offer the Wild Bill people a chance to do the playoffs like this. One thing though, there's a very good chance we will get a tie, don't you think, with four people whose scores will all fall in the 0-3 range.

Here's a suggestion for handling ties. First use the result of the match between the players under consideration as a deciding factor. That is, if players A and B have a tie, then see how the battle in which A and B have played on the same side has ended. The player who has done better wins.

This is still not a foolproof way because we might for example have a tie between three players A-C. The previous rule would not help if A has won B, B has won C and C has won A (in the sense that one has done better when playing on the same side of the same scenario). In such a case I suggest that we sum up the raw point differences of these games. That is, if for example the CM score differences are A-B +2, B-C +10, C-A +4, we get A -2, B +8, C -6, and B is the winner.

[ February 15, 2002, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Nabla ]

A short intermediate thanks to all those who have written and sent AARs so far. Reading them is both very entertaining and educational.

After the tourney is over I will put some of the best AARs available for downloads on the net. If you want to spice up your text a few nice screenshots make a big difference.

If it is possible for you, please use PDF since it is can be read on a computer running any operating system. (If some of the best AARs are not PDF then I will do the conversion myself before I make them available for download.)

[ February 16, 2002, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Nabla ]

Well what about neutral flags? Will you continue to distribute neutral points? Ie.

A 60 - B 30

C 65 - D 35

I could argue that C did better than A if the mission was to take ground and keep it. Well I am not certain about this but what do you think?

-TNT-

I don't think C would have done better than A in that situation. By the same reasoning you could say that D did better than B; but how could that be when D's opponent scored more points than B's opponent? smile.gif In any case, the A/B score would be adjusted to equal 100 points.

Treeburst155 out.

[ February 18, 2002, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]