Question to Modders: Are the stock .bmps too good to mod?

It seems every mod available so far is some variant of "muddy vs. muddier". Not complaining a bit, but I've yet to see a mod that really improves the appearance of the stock models very much. I was just wondering if the level of detail was so high with the stock models that the modders are finding that any improvement they can provide is minimal compared to the effort involved? Can the stock models be brought to even higher resolution (or would it make much of a difference)? Are modders concerned with too heavy a drain on our puters? As these questions themselves will probably demonstrate, I know absolutely NOTHING about modding, but just curious about the paucity of anything other than "dirty" mods being offered.

Lack of "original" new afv MODs may be due to the current work load the lads have..ie...still working on stuff for BFC.

Question...would your puter be able to handle a 7MB Tiger Mod??? That what the original Tiger mod i made for CMBO weighed in at before i reduced the dimensions and res.

As for improving the look...with the wide range of talent and personal tastes( Mod Makers ) it will be possible to make CMBBB look different to the stock textures. Kwazy was the final QC on the finished articles( AFAIK ) and aimed for a complementing overall look which is a good thing when u are trying to sell a product.

regards

Måkjager

Originally posted by Måkjager:

Question...would your puter be able to handle a 7MB Tiger Mod??? That what the original Tiger mod i made for CMBO weighed in at before i reduced the dimensions and res.

I honestly don't know, as I don't know how size of the file relates to the resources available, though I have a 128mb graphics card and two gigabytes of RDRAM.

TBC - That's what I was wondering. The stock graphics really do look oustanding, and it may not be worth the modders' time to attempt improvements beyond insignas, "dirtying", and such.

Originally posted by Agua:

TBC - That's what I was wondering. The stock graphics really do look oustanding, and it may not be worth the modders' time to attempt improvements beyond insignas, "dirtying", and such.[/QB]

Hey I'm not saying it's impossible,it's just difficult to know where to begin :D

I've got a from-scratch mod in the works, myself. All I'll say is its very small, very Italian, and goes with the model in the upcoming patch. ;)

From-scratch (not based on stock art) mods are tough to do, especially tough to do BETTER than the CMBB originals. Hell, it's easy to do worse ones!

Tom'S Combat Mission has shown some interest in posting my mystery mod when it's done.

The stock models are great, but you shouldn't underestimate the effect of a patch of rust and some mud (and maybe a flag discreetly draped over the engine deck). I find that it just gives much more 'feel' then the original 'we wash them before going into battle' look ;)

And let's not forget the CMMOS/Schweinestall/Pig Pen-project :D

[ October 30, 2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Speaking as a mod slut who got all the great ones for CMBO, I believe the stock units in CMBB will be greatly improved by modders. BTS needs to balance system requirements for all supported computer specs. Modders can go all the way to make details for those who have high end machines.

So I look forward to the mods we all hope to see. It made CMBO a WHOLE different game to me because visuals and sounds greatly improve the immersion level and game enjoyment.

Hey, I paid for all this computer stuff. I may as well get the full enjoyment from it when modders bless us with improved graphics and sound.

I think stock CMBB looks great. I think a lot of the mod fever with CMBO came from the modders thinking they could do a better job because the original textures were not quite up to snuff. I honestly believe that's not the case now. However, there are some talented modders out there, and if it's possible to make a better mod, I have a feeling someone will do it.

I must admit I thought I would not mod this as much as CMBO. I must admit the overall impressions are streets ahead. That said, as I look more closely there are things I am drawing up a mod waiting list for (and they doubtless will vary on the basis of personal taste).

I am looking forward to Tanks' trees for instance. With CMBO I did download mods a bit piecemeal and found the game looked a bit like a patchwork quilt but at the end (when I'd got what I wanted) it was spectacular. On the basis that I hope, as time progresses, the selection packs will start to come out I'll probably wait for them with particular interest in DD, Tiger, Kump, Gunslinger, Magua, Fernando and Molek mods. There are others I have in CMBO and cannot do credit to their hard work and effort enough for making the game brilliant (not to mention BTS efforts of course).

One at a time I suppose I might be less enthused this time but the 'packs' I will definitely get.