Defense Gets Its Due

I recall that one of my observations about CMBO was that it seemed that the defender didn't have enough of an advantage over the attacker. Attacking was easier than it perhaps should have been.

That has been remedied with CMBB! Great job!

In my first (non-demo) foray, I decided to try a fully random Quick Battle against the AI. I ended up with the Axis defending against a Soviet Assault in the Northern Front, in February.

I had a Green baseline with a few regular and conscript troops, (2 understrength companies), a 75mm pillbox, a 75mm AT gun, 4 MGs (2each MG34 and MG42), 1 81mm on-map mortar, two AP minefields, three barbed wire (finally enough to do something) and a trench. No vehicles or FOs.

I was attacked by a large force of veterans with 7 armored cars, and hordes of infantry. The results were not pretty. A lot of the infantry got hung up in the wire and the minefields (which were deviously placed in the only two tiles of cover in front of my MLR). (See image below). Many units had kill numbers in the high teens. I just wish I could find out how many casualties the minefields caused.

CMBB-QB.gif

Final score: 98:2

Now to try attacking next. :(

Talk about high kill rates on the defense, in one large town Quickbattle I had my Russian infantry several buildings back shooting at the Germans as they tried to cross from building to building. I would defend, retreat to the next building, defend, retreat. One Russian squad listed something like 47 infantry killed! I've never seen a single squad do so well before.

Yeah that definitely looks like the northern front in February!
I guess it isn't my day for getting details right. No, it wasn't February. I think it was sometime in summer. I got it confused with this morning's defeat at the hands of my 6-year old son :eek: in Networked CMBO.

Re: Casualities by the minefields. Though tedious, you could figure it out. After the battle, go tally the kills for all the selectable units. Subtract that amount from the Casualities+Kills in the AAR screen. That should be casualities by the minefields.

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Re: Casualities by the minefields. Though tedious, you could figure it out. After the battle, go tally the kills for all the selectable units. Subtract that amount from the Casualities+Kills in the AAR screen. That should be casualities by the minefields.

The results wouldn't distinguish between minefield kills and off-board arty kills, would it? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Liebchen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cameroon:

The results wouldn't distinguish between minefield kills and off-board arty kills, would it? :confused: </font>