Tank Companies - Medium vs Light

Not sure if this topic belongs here but I'm working on designing a scenario so I guess it's as good a place as any...

I have some information that tells me that 1943-44 Armor Battalions were made up of a HQ company, a service company, several medium tank companies and a light tank company.

What the difference between a medium tank company and a light tank company? Is it the type of tanks, number of tank platoons, or both or something more?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, I would imagine that a medium tank company was made up of medium tanks and a light tanks for a light tank company ;)

Now, the real question would probably be what tanks would be filling those roles at that particular time. I can't answer that question though smile.gif

Thanks Cameroon smile.gif

After re-reading my post I realized that part was probably obvious...duh :rolleyes:

A tank platoon consists of what? 3-4 tanks? Is this true for both medium and light tank platoons? How many platoons make up a medium tank company or a light tank company?

If anyone has any more information about the composition of medium vs light tank companies that would be great. Or even a good resource to point me to...

Tank platoons are generally 3 for Russians and 4 for Germans for most part of the war.

Mixing tanks at company level is extremly rare. An example are the early Tiger companies in the heavy tank detachments which had Pz IIIs mixed in, but not for long. Usually tanks are mixed at regiment level first.

Soviet medium tank coy was 10 T34s (1 Coy HQ, 3x 3 T34 platoons).

Light tank companies had similiar organizations but consisted of T60s or T70s. Also note that my source (Zaloga) does not list them in the 43/44 OOBs.

WWB

I can dig up dozends of different example of tank platoon sizes and/or what the lowest level of mixing of different class tanks was.

Generally, platoons are 4 tanks, but the more sophistcated the force is the larger becomes the tendency to use 5. This is for combat tanks, mediums and heavies, and applies e.g. to late-war SS formations. For light tanks there is also a tendency to go to 5, but for different reasons, they don't want to fight so they don't have to raise unit robustness by numbers, but they want more eyes, and they have scouts dismounting the vehicles , sometimes using the light tank more like an APC.

The mixing level generally raised as the war progressed, for example Barbarosse regiments were 2 mediums, 1 light battalion, but later your would mix one level higher or kick the light ones out of regiments altogether.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Mixing tanks at company level is extremly rare. An example are the early Tiger companies in the heavy tank detachments which had Pz IIIs mixed in, but not for long. Usually tanks are mixed at regiment level first.

This statement has been stuck in my craw for several days now. Been to lazy to respond until now. So, here's part one...

Battalion made up of 2 leichte and 1 mittlere Panzerkompanie

Stabskompanie einer Panzer-Abteilung - K.St.N.1150(sd)

-Nachrichtenzug: 3x PzBefWg

-leichter Panzerzug: 5x PzKwII*

Staffel einer Panzer-Abteilung - K.St.N.1178(sd)†: 1x PzKwIV, 3x PzKwIII, 2x PzKwII

leichte Panzerkompanie - K.St.N.1171(sd)

-Kompanie Trupp: 2x PzKwIII

le. Zug: 5x PzKwII*

1. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

2. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

3. Zug: 5x PzKwIII

mittlere Panzerkompanie - K.St.N.1175(sd)**

-Kompanie Trupp: 2x PzKwIV

le. Zug: 5x PzKwII*

1. Zug: 4x PzKwIV

2. Zug: 4x PzKwIV

3. Zug: 4x PzKwIV

* - Due to shortages of PzKwIIs, PzKwIs were used in some cases.

** - Due to shortages of PzKwIVs, the mittlere Panzerkompanie was almost always 2 platoon of 4 tanks each.

† - reserve tank detachment.

In Czech tank armed divisions, replace the PzKwIIIs with PzKw38(t)s or PzKw35(t)s

Changes 1,11,41

Stabskompanie einer Panzer-Abteilung - K.St.N.1150(sd)

-leichter Panzerzug: 5x PzKwII

-Pionier Zug: 3x PzKwII "Ladungstäger" (SdKfz121 w/demolition equipment)

Shortages of PzKwIV still limit the mittlere Panzerkompanie to only 2 Zuge

Changes 14,10,42

SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 authorized 3 mittlere Panzerkompanien rather than 2 leichte and 1 mittlere

Changes 25,1,43

the Panzer-Abteilung is now authorized 4 mittlere Panzerkompanien**

Stabskompanie einer Panzer-Abteilung - K.St.N.1150b(sd)

-Aufklärungs Zug: 5x PzKwIV

Panzer-Flamm-Zug - K.St.N.1190(sd)*: 7x Flammpz

mittlere Panzerkompanie - K.St.N.1175a(sd)**

-Kompanie Trupp: 2x PzKwIV

1. Zug: 5x PzKwIV

2. Zug: 5x PzKwIV

3. Zug: 5x PzKwIV

4. Zug: 5x PzKwIV

* - Only 100 Panzerflammwagen were produced and issued to the following regiments: 28 to Pz.Rgt.'Großdeutschland', 15 to Pz.Rgt. 11, 14 to Pz.Rgt. 1, 14 to Pz.Rgt. 24, 14 to Pz.Rgt. 26, 7 to Pz.Rgt. 14, 7 to Pz.Rgt. 16, 1 to Panzer-Schule Wunsdorf.

** - More pipe dream than reality. Below is II/11.PzRgt. as of 17,4,43

Stabskompanie II/11

-le.Pz.Zug: 7x PzKwII

-Nachr.Zug: 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzBefWg

-Flamm Zug: 7x FlammPz

-Flamm Zug: 7x FlammPz

5. Kompanie

-Kp.-Trupp: 1x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzIV(lg)

-1.Zug: 4x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 1x PzKwIV(lg)

-2.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

-3.Zug: 2x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

6. Kompanie

-1.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

-2.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 1x PzKwIV(lg)

-3.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

7. Kompanie

-1.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 1x PzKwIV(lg)

-2.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 1x PzKwIV(lg)

-3.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

8. Kompanie

-1.Zug: 4x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 1x PzKwIV(lg)

-2.Zug: 3x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

-3.Zug: 2x PzKwIII(lg), 1x PzKwIII(7,5), 2x PzKwIV(lg)

I'll save the rest for another day... I'm tired of typing

[ November 12, 2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]