Bug? Burning tank takes out KT

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

It may be a British Churchill, but the crew were obviously from Finland ;)

CDIC

Impossible. If they had been true Finns they would have reversed the tank into a safe location and put out the fire. And after plugging the hole made by the 88 with a log they would have come out again fighting like hell.

:D

Originally posted by killmore:

I won anyway but since when Finns joined the British army?

Are you sure your Brits had not joined the Finnish army instead ? smile.gif

BTS I have the turn saved but you will probably not be able to reproduced this situation

Silvio has. Allies 2 - Germans 0 so far. smile.gif

I think (but cannot be sure of course) than CMBO works in intervals when it comes to combat resolution.

If you know the Tacops game, you know that everything within the 1-minute action phase happens in four intervals of 15 seconds. For each of these intervals both sides fire, so even when you knock out your opponent this phase the round is still in the air and may kill you back (exception in Tacops: ATGMs need the firing vehicle until impact, the missle may be canceled when the controll dies).

Several details like the one shown here make me believe that CMBO also has such a phase design, although with much higher resolution.

So, at one point in time, CMBO already computes that both tanks will shoot this "phase". The results of the shots are then computed one after another(*) and if it hits and knocks out changes the display of the target. However, CMBO had already decided that the target tank will fire this "phase", too, and will still execute it.

The resolution is obviously very small since CMBO even takes the effect of slow and fast rounds into account, however it doesn't seem to be truely fluid. Without thinking it through I do not believe you can actually make it non-granulated, at least not for the movement on the battlefield, but maybe for shots.

All speculation, of course. I do not believe this is an actual problem, it is more a graphical glitch. Imagine the tanks shot at the same time. There is no impact on combat that I can see.

(*) It may be possible that the Axis side always gets computed first, hence this effect will always see burning Allied tanks fire.

[ February 17, 2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

(*) It may be possible that the Axis side always gets computed first, hence this effect will always see burning Allied tanks fire.

Tero and redwolf, I must refer you to my post above.

Captain Wacky's M4A1 KO'd *my* Marder III...who then launched a 600m killing shot, "after" being brewed up. So it would seem that redwolf's "phase" assertion is correct, but it applies equally to either side.

That Cigar Smoker tank was actually smoking. :eek: :eek:

However, it was fine camo from the Brit special services troops. It was set up in order to lull the Krauts into ignoring it. Then, it sprung to life and into action and whacks that evil KingTiger. tongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard :cool: :cool:

I'll pass this onto Charles, but I believe this is something which is more in line with what Redwolf stated. However, I think it is a tad bit more complicated than that. IIRC the unit is allowed to fire even though the killing round is in flight. If the round is coming very fast or from a short distance, I think there is a chance that the hit can happen within a very small time (fraction of a second) and the gun will still shoot.

Whatever it is, I think this can be classified as an "unintended event". To be classified as a "bug" there actually has to be an error in the code where, in this case, something was coded to not happen but due to some slip up still can. Either way, in theory it shouldn't happen. In reality, it might not be fixable. Dunno. Fortunately this is a rare thing when you think of how many times you guys have played the game and how many times guns shoot within each of those games.

Steve