Realistic or Bug??

When the TacAI is forced to draw a path on its own (traffic jam, panic, unpassable terrain) it does an unbelievably bad job which cannot be explained with the current state of affair in the CS field of pathfinding. Not only doesn't it take front armor into account, not only does it move vehicles off the map, not only does it run to occupied foxholes, it also has incredibly byzantine paths in first place with no resemblance to a even the shortest path to solve the problem (not to speak of safety).

It also seems to be it got worse in CMBB, or maybe that only appears that way because the sourrounding game is better.

I am beginning to develop a problem with the TacAI, and that surprises me as I was always amoung those who found the CMBO TacAI to be perfectly fine for the job.

No problem.

This is easily taken care of by reviewing the paths plotted for your units each and every turn. Be vigilent. If something crazy was plotted, change it. It's not hard to do.

I have found that these crazy plots don't happen all that often and really aren't a problem whenever they do pop up.

Play it MasterGoodale. You'll be glad that you did.

Now a more serious problem that I've found with CMBB is that it won't go to the store and get me some beer. Sheesh! You think that after all that money that I spent on CMBB, it would go and get some freakin beer.

AND what gets me is that these guys are on freakin vacation right now with such a glaring problem right in the face. It makes one wonder how customer friendly BTS really is. What's more important to them? Our beer or spending our money? They really should fix or somefink. ;)

[ November 07, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Le Tondu ]

Master Goodale, Don't fret too much about this. Redwolf's GROSSLY overstating the problem of traffic jams and retreating vehicles. The AI may not be as polished as a human at drawing routes, but I've run into unpleasant consequences as a result of bad routing on a very small percentage of turns. If a 30 turn game has 10 vehicles per side that would make at least 600 chances for something to go wrong in movement paths per individual vehicle! A badly drawn vehicle route (with consequences) happens... once every third game? Twice a game? It all depends on if you play infantry-heavy games or armor-heavy games.

[ November 07, 2002, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

[QB]gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . .

I just ordered the game and I'm starting to worry I will be frustrated when I play it the more of these kinds of posts I read.

Don't worry. I think you'll find that most of the "complainers" are all big fans of the game, and that the frustration levels are acutally small, or at least much smaller than the satisfaction derived playing the game. Grognard = grumbler, remember. Critical folks, they want to see the game get even better.

Much of CM is so good that any problems do often stand out fairly sharply. However, for me, at least, a great game with some noticable flaws and/or bugs is still much better than a so-so game with no particully noticable flaws or bugs. (And even _those_ games are pretty hard to find.)

Redolf, just be glad each waypoint doesn't cause a delay! LOL

Anyhow, yes they are byzantine, but I think they are pretty good, and I rarely change them. Plus it gives you a bunch of bonus waypoints to play with, so (gamey tactic) when plotting a long move, be sure to drive through at least one stand of tall pines!

Yes, have to point out that with the nickpicks involved this is still by far the second best wargame ever (like TacOps even better), and the game I would take on the lonley island if I could choose only one.

The comment to review the waypoints doesn't really apply when the vehicle is off the map by the time you get control back smile.gif This is for real, all this happend to me and as I said I wonder why it appears to be worse than for CMBO.