Nvidia Graphics Hassle!

Hello All, I recently bought CM (we love it!) but having loaded the game we experienced problems with the text and graphics on the Scenario, Mission Briefing, After Mission Report windows - the text is either see through or totally invisible. I have downloaded the latest version from the nvidia website and think I have installed it correctly but it makes no difference to the text. Am I being really thick? Has anyone experienced similiar hassles and could they help us out!?! We are new to all this computer stuff so treat us gently! Failing that could anyone e-mail all the mission briefings? It is SO frustrating as the game itself runs fine but we don't get to see all the background, objectives etc!! Many thanks.

From what I gather from the short time I've been here, that's been an on-going problem with some Nvidia drivers and CM. I've got the latest Nvidia drivers (Detonator 29.42), but I couldn't tell you if they work with CMBO because I don't have the game. (I'm waiting for CMBB, which comes out in mid-September). So you're not doing anything wrong probably, it's a Nvidia thing.

[ July 21, 2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: StarFleet Captain ]

You need to update your drivers. Chances are you are at the default windows XP drivers (12.40s IIRC) and need a major upgrade. Download the newest drivers from www.nvidia.com and follow their instructions, CM will work perfectly.

Note that switching out to desktop might help to solve your problem in the meantime.

WWB

Thanks All.

We have done the download from www.nvidia.com with the latest version and it has been passed to our machine but CMBO does not seem to be recognising it.

I would agree that it appears to be a nvidia problem, but according to the literature the download clears the problems. No luck so far...

Any other thoughts?

If anyone can send me all the mission briefings I would be eternally grateful!! :Dwhitfieldjim@hotmail.com

Have you installed a version of the drivers that was older than 28.32, but newer than what came on the XP CD ? If so, then you'll want to uninstall these drivers first before installing the latest 29.42's. Hopefully the NVidia drivers are listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (or whatever XP may call that control panel now).

The video drivers definitely fix the problem. The next question for you is, if the above method still doesn't work for you, are you then willing to do a 'clean' install of XP on your computer where you would have to format your hard drive ?

About XP, I considered upgrading to it, but the head tech at my good ol' computer shop said that XP is a real bugger with device drivers. He said that if you load the wrong drivers, it basically trashes the operating system and a reformat and reinstall is almost necessary. So with that I went ahead and stuck with good ol' Win98 SE.

LOL... Boy that shop of yours...

Probably what they're referring to is the change that made XP run drivers in the kernel layer instead of a separate ring. Guess what? Win98 does this too, since it was VERY closely based on Win95 code. NT and Win2K don't do this, and that was the change -- XP is based on Win2K code, but for speed reasons they let drivers run at the same privledge layer as the kernel. That means a bad driver could blue-screen you -- but it's not remotely as bad as what a bad driver could do to Win98.

Furthermore, if anything a driver problem is LESS likely to trash WinXP. First, the code is MUCH newer than Win98 and includes the switch-to-safemode, which is based on the same code in Win2K -- which basically puts you back on the default drivers (Standard VGA, for example).

Second, XP has the new rollback points, which means you can set a rollback point, install a driver, and if it fails roll your entire system back to the previous configuration.

They're probably just trying to unload their OEM copies of Win98, which are no longer available.

Hello!

Right, I downloaded the latest stuff from nvidia and re-installed the game.

Good news - it works almost perfectly, it still blocks or buggers the text if you go back to the briefing page during a mission, but I rectify this by going back to desktop and then back to the game - thanks for the tip!

It still does not spoil a top game though! smile.gif

Perhaps before you reboot, after the uninstall, you can choose new generic drivers. Usually you would select the regular generic VGA driver supplied by Microsoft. After that, reboot, and trying installing the new NVidia drivers.

Good luck.

BeWary

For what its worth ......

I have just upgraded my OS to XPpro.

XP ran fine using its own default drivers for my card (Gforce2MX) but CMBO had problems with displaying text/graphics.

I downloaded/installed the Nvidia 29.42_winxp drivers and it cleared all problems. These drivers

seem to work OK ... at least on my setup.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I would add that this is partilly an OEM/MS issue. They keep putting ancient drivers on computers, and those drivers dont really work.

OEM perhaps, but not MS. Windows XP had very up-to-date drivers when it shipped.

Technically the hardware manufacturers should be submitting driver updates to MS for distribution through Windows Update. Then the great majority of users would be on (or be notified about) the latest drivers all the time...

About updating drivers, in general:

Is it really worth the hassle?

If you have some hardware and OS configuration that's a couple of years old and runs flawless, how much better will it typically perform if one upgrades from a fairly new driver to the very latest?

Take for example the Nvidia TNT2 GPU, how much better is it with the latest drivers compared to drivers one year old, on a Win95 computer?

Isn't it much more likely that using the very latest drivers will cause a drop in performance, because of bugs in the new drivers?

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

I would add that this is partilly an OEM/MS issue. They keep putting ancient drivers on computers, and those drivers dont really work.

OEM perhaps, but not MS. Windows XP had very up-to-date drivers when it shipped.

Technically the hardware manufacturers should be submitting driver updates to MS for distribution through Windows Update. Then the great majority of users would be on (or be notified about) the latest drivers all the time...</font>

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

About updating drivers, in general:

Is it really worth the hassle?

If you have some hardware and OS configuration that's a couple of years old and runs flawless, how much better will it typically perform if one upgrades from a fairly new driver to the very latest?

Take for example the Nvidia TNT2 GPU, how much better is it with the latest drivers compared to drivers one year old, on a Win95 computer?

Isn't it much more likely that using the very latest drivers will cause a drop in performance, because of bugs in the new drivers?

Cheers

Olle

I am in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it school." And your drivers ain't broke. Problem is many new games need newer drivers to function correctly, or really old ones before they started optimizing the hell out of them. So if you stick with the 6.50s, you will do just fine.

WWB

Folks,

It also helps to download the latest Direct X drivers. Currently they are on version 8.1, I think.

I reloaded my OS (win 98SE) and forgot to update Direct X. The sky was black in CMBO, then I realized that my Direct X was out of date.

I've got an NVidia chipset as well and found that after installing Direct X 8.1 I started having problems with my drivers.

Updating to the latest NVidia drivers fixed the problems and CMBO works perfectly.

A tip that worked for me if you're willing to do it...

I reloaded my OS ( Win98SE ), installed all the latest drivers for my hardware including Direct X 8.1. Configured network card, router, etc. so all was working perfectly but no apps or games were installed. I then took a snapshot of my drive using Ghost ( or any other disk clone program ). I called this my "basic configuration". I then installed a few of my favorite games and most used applications. I took a sanpshot of this and called it my "game configuration". Now I can easily go back to either of my known and working "basic" or "game" configuations if my system gets junked up or dirty. It's been working great for me. smile.gif

I too have a brand new Nvida card and am using Win XP. I think I have sucessfully loaded the latest drivers but still have the same graphic problems mentioned above. I can use the game but it is not perfect.

Also, I did a fresh unstall and install of the game. However in loading it placed three files on my desk top. The, saves file, e-mail file and scenairo file. I open the game and the scenairos are not there. However going into win explorer, I found the scenario files and manually moved them to the empty desk top file called scenarios, the scenarios then show up in the game.

I am running other high end games such as IL2 and Medal of Honor with no bugs, but CM seems to be a bit buggy with Win XP.

Wix XP has some issues but seems to be a very good OS.

Last will any Nvida updates be included in the windows updates?

You're having the problems mentioned in the first post ? Is WinXP a fresh non-upgrade install for you or was it an upgrade installed over another version of Windows ? Have you installed any NVidia drivers in WinXP that are older than 28.32 ? If you've installed some older drivers and then installed the latest ones over those, you may still experience the problem listed in the first post. Some registry setting or .DLL seems to be remaining behind and that seems to lead to a continuation of the problem that should have been solved with the latest drivers.

I suggest uninstalling any NVidia drivers you have; possibly installing your video card as a 'SVGA' card (rather than a GeForce) and then installing the latest drivers (several reboots will probably be needed in this process).

I upgraded to XP from Me and while the game runs, the graphics have never quite gotten back to where they belong. I have tried upgrading drivers but it has not improved.

I moved recently and managed to misplace the CMBO CD so now I cannot play or try to get the graphics problem fixed.

In anticipation of finding that little piece of white paper with the golden CD in it.... lil help?

COH

I have been in computer repair and custom building for about 12 years now, and evryone in this forum has a great idea for repairng graphic problems. The first step is start with the easy fixes and work your way down. I have used TNT2 cards and geforce cards, vodoo cards you name it, the biggest prob with these cards are driver issues, start with installing latest drivers first, then go into your desktop settings advance and enable your specific graphic cards setting.{filtering and the like}. Then check your monitors setting and resolution {800by600, etc.at 60hrz 75hrz etc.}also make sure you have latest chipset drivers for your mainboard, you can go to the manufacturers site to get these. I also need to let people know that when you install these drivers make sure to go back and get the latest directx drivers {and reinstall} due to the fact that when you install graphic and mainboard drivers you need to reinstall directx {for windows 98 and ME you should really do this}. Then go find the directx folder{right click on start tab, explore under my computer C, then program files} click on this folder and open up settings then make sure direct 3d is enabled and run the tests. I hope this helps and remeber take it one step at a time and rule out the easiest probs first