Assault/Defense Quickbattle Map Pack!

Here are some screenshots:

Mountainpass.jpg

This is on a large map 800 by 1600, simulating an attack through mountain passes. Very close fighting with some areas of long-range. Best suited for a large force (2000-3000 points) Two maps, one each for Allied or Axis defender.

railcrossing.jpg

Next we have a small to medium size teppe map, "Rail crossing." 800 by 1200, suitable for 800-1500 points. Two maps, one each for Allied or Axis defender.

ravine.jpg

Another steppe map, this one based (loosely) on a story I read where a cut-off russian force held out in a ravine for a long time (6 weeks or so) Unique set-up areas, map is 1200 by 1200, for 800-1500 force size. Three maps, one each for Allied or Axis defender, and a bonus ME map since I thought this would be cool for an ME.

riverdefense.jpg

Finally a very simple but beautiful (if I do say so myself!) river crossing through village. Once again 800 by 1200 with force size up to 1500 points. Two maps, one each for Allied or Axis defender.

Hope you like, I will probably send them to the Scenario Zone tomorrow. Or maybe that mod database, I don't know.

[ November 18, 2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Thanks guys! The Mountain Pass map was a real beast to design (you'll notice the short-cuts I had to make for my precious waterfalls, lol) The roads were actually the hard part. That and to make it look mountainous without too many drastic elevation changes which cause the ugly checkerboard tiling affect. I like it alot though. I think I might make that into a QB ME map too. Imagine the fight in those narrow gorges!

I think the Ravine map is my favorite. It was also fairly quick to design (I threw out 2 attempts before I got the look of the dried up riverbed right. I can see many ferocious and unexpected battles fought over that strip of land! I was also surprised to see that the AI will set up in the specified set-up area (though not very well) I can't wait to try this one against a (sub)human opponent.

The Rail Crossing was one I've always wanted to do. There are more than a few stories of battles being fought over the raised railroads in Russia. The only thing I did with this was to curtail the huge steppe-like tracts of LOS by adding a plateau, a farm and some other features. I have neer been a fan of long range slug-fests, so it is hard for me to design maps with that in mind. I think in this map, the longest range you'll be able to face off is 600 - 800 meters, but with some work, an attacker could keep his force hidden from LOS until within maybe 100-150 meters. This was also done to allow either armour/infantry heavy forces.

Finally the river defense map was the first I've designed for CMBB and it is pretty generic. It is also a TOUGH nut to crack for the assaulting units. There are only 3 bridges and one ford (IIRC) but each of them can be safely fired on from the defenders. Luckily, the defender will never have enough units to gaurd them all equally well, heh heh...

I should add that I start with a blank map, all height 7, all grass. I played around with the randomizer thing, thinking I could just heavily modify them, but it wasn't working, so keep in mind that EVERY square foot of terrain was hand placed! The way I started was to make the Allied Attack map. I would save it, delete some of the Axis set-up areas, then add more land to the Allied side and make the Axis Attck. That worked but it took along time to 'individualize' each map. My first two (Rail, River) were done this way. With my third and fourth (ravine, mountain pass) I used the EXACT same map for each. It seems to work out that way. I'm not sure which is better though. Look for these in the future:

Two Hills

Factory

Riverbend Salient

Valley Town

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Finally the river defense map was the first I've designed for CMBB and it is pretty generic.

Oh I wouldn't call it generic, really. If you're looking for praise for this one then that's not a problem- I found it exceedingly rich in many regards. The differing possibilites at *all* stages of the battle, the constantly changing aspects as I advanced, the multitude of differing terrain situations. I'm not sure how to say it, if you hadn't noticed. smile.gif

An excellent map, anyhow, deserving scenarios better than my QB, no doubt. I have no qualms about saying it is at the top of the heap. Good flag placement, too, btw- I like to see an asymmetric flag placement... Cemetery Hill with just it's one big flag drove me crazy last time- no sudden death period gained, although I had advanced every vehicle intact to the foot of that d*mn church...

It is also a TOUGH nut to crack for the assaulting units.
Yes it was a bother. I only played the AI, but still- it did a very good job of holding me back, even though I had crack gaurds and oodles of arty. I got a Draw, and it's basically your fault. smile.gif Seriously, I do have one little problem with the map, or I think I do, or say rather there is one thing which would make it better for QBs, anyhow... It's just a bit too long. Some of the interesting detail is therefore lost for a long time in the beginning, as I'm just advancing and wondering whether opfor is actually there or not. If it were a bit smaller, but had the same "stuff", the same rich and varied detail, it would be perfect. I think.

Well I only had the option for infantry, so that might be part of it.

There are only 3 bridges and one ford (IIRC) but each of them can be safely fired on from the defenders. Luckily, the defender will never have enough units to gaurd them all equally well, heh heh...
Luckily, it was completely frozen and I just walked across it. smile.gif

Eden

I can't wait to try this one against a (sub)human opponent.

Why don't you try playing against someone other than yourself for a change??

Eden, thanks for the comments.

Ah, glad you understood them! Not sure I did. I may take that one into the Ed and crop it.

Just tried the Allied Ravine. Ohmigod! My battleing average (sorry) has *plumetted*!! The other day, I *lost* a QB. I was amazed- before that, I had had a streak so long I was ready to file a bug report.

Now, two of your maps later, I have *two* more non-victories! In a row!!

Great map. Myself, I seem to have a real soft spot for "I'm surrounded" or "He's surrounded" scenarios... If you think about, it completely removes the gaminess of the *edge* of the map.

Eden

Thanks again everyone for your nice comments. I thought I'd bump this one last time since the pictures are showing up again (Ahh, a new day, a new bandwidth limit!)

Also, feel free to post any constructive criticism!

That ravine map isone of my favorites. A guy I'm playing took one look at it an said "looks like I'll be trying to pull a porcupine of of a hole" or somefink. Heh heh.

Also, Eden, about the wasted space in the Riverdefense map - wait till you defend as the allies, then you'll find a use for all that farmland! Also, the Axis efende has a bit of an option to move troops into the church area (or elswhere) before you get there, that's the other reason. Also, I like the caution of not knowing when you'll make contact!

Has anyone tried the mountain pass yet?

PL,

Thanks for not only making these extremely attractive maps, but for also going the extra step of setting them up for assault / defense battles. Very nice job and your effort is appreciated.

[ November 19, 2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Agua ]