The Newbie Tournaments II

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Just giving this a much needed bump from the second page.

<hr></blockquote>

So THAT's what BUMP means! I was too green to ask on the other lists for fear I would incure the great grognard wrath...Hey! THIS is a bump!

bump bump bump

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Toran,

Uh, too much bumping can make you blind. :eek: <hr></blockquote>

It can also either make your nose bleed, your tender parts sore, or your legs tired from exertion, depending on what kind we're talkin' 'bout.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Toran:

So THAT's what BUMP means! I was too green to ask on the other lists for fear I would incure the great grognard wrath...Hey! THIS is a bump!<hr></blockquote>

Ah, screw that grognard wrath stuff. Ask and ye shall receive.

By the way, as for newbie questions....two great threads to check out (ones that are constantly *bumped* ;> are:

Combat Mission forum: ==) FAQ (== How to Take a Screenshot and Other CM Goodness

-> this will answer most newbie questions

Tips & Tactics forum: Anthology of Useful Posts (especially for new players)

-> this is a *Treasuretrove* of info on just about any tactic or unit in the game. Check it out.

Cheers,

Kevin

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Combat Mission forum: ==) FAQ (== How to Take a Screenshot and Other CM Goodness

-> this will answer most newbie questions

Tips & Tactics forum: Anthology of Useful Posts (especially for new players)

-> this is a *Treasuretrove* of info on just about any tactic or unit in the game. Check it out.

<hr></blockquote>

I must have missed the first one! Wow! Great stuff! I've been pouring over the second one for weeks now and is fine fine reading material. Thanks!

:D

voidhawk,

Ask and you shall receive. ;)

In the SuperNewbies bracket, Hobo and El Griz will be playing only "Down in the Valley" for Round 1. They just started and I don't expect them to finish until much closer to the deadline.

In the Newbie Rejects bracket, Vitalis and Bobbaro are at the end of "Blind Man's Bluff" and have been having technical difficulties. Once they have everything under control, it should not require more than a couple file swaps to get it done.

Also in the Newbie Rejects bracket, CombatGeneral and DStone will be playing only "Down in the Valley" for Round 1. They just started started as well.

Also in the Newbie Rejects bracket, Bruce Bowes and Donkey Hotay are at the end of "Blind Man's Bluff" and should be able to finish things quickly.

The guys that are finishing "Blind Man's Bluff" are all well underway in "Mighty Mouse." So, things are moving along at a good pace.

I hope that helps.

Alterna Bowl Round Robin Result

Hobo (as the Nazis) 66

DD_Rob (as the Britts)34

Nazi tactical victory

Hobo is now undefeated at 1-0 and gets promoted to the SuperNewbe tournament. Where is that Fion guy?

AAR to follow.

Regards,

Chris

I am afraid the game was over in Round 1 when I took that southwest corner unless I did something really really stupid. Fortunately I only did a few minor stupid things and was able to hang on. I aam not sure if you caught this, but I actually blew up my own FO with an errant 105MM round. Also trying to sneak around your right flank to silence those pesky vickers was not my brightest maneuver. Fortunately I only lost a couple of men when you flamed that building I attacked housing a couple of your wasted squads. Thats was a pretty brutal move on your part.

All in all it was a tremendous blast. Thanks Ted for putting this on.

Chris

After Action: Medium Rare (Eliminated "Just for Fun Games).

Well, I've been defeated now 3 times (twice in initial round; once in "just for fun" games) and it sorely rankles me. Ted, there must be something wrong with the scenarios...I can't win one ;) .

Now for the after action of Medium Rare: THIS is THE SPOILER....

After slowly advancing His Majesty's forces to a forward hidden position overlooking the main thoroughfare, we came under intense small arms fire from enemy forces arcross the two lane highway.

Suddenly, on our right, a platoon sized element of pioneers attempted an assault. Needless to say, the "Queen's Own" made short work of the german forces, relishing in our victory.

After a short break for tea, His Majesty's forces decided to launch a counterattack, covered by smoke from our 4.2". The plan called for a feint by one platoon on our extreme right flank, to be followed by 2 platoons on the left, supported by all the MGs and Flamethrowers.

The time ticked off slowly as we waited for a good smoke cover to set.......the first 20 rounds being the signal to launch the feint, in hopes of drawing enemy forces to the wrong side of the map.

At this point, everything went wrong.

An error by our young arty spotter resulted in our remaining arty rounds being HE, instead of smoke. As Maj. Widdlesworth looked on in amazement, the planned feint on the right flank went off without a hitch, while the all too soon disipating smoke on our left provided too little cover.

However, al la Gallipoli and a sprinting Mel Gibson notwithstanding, the whistles having been blown, the planned attack by our left flank began.

Through the heroic efforts of His Majesty's forces, a foothold on the far side of the road was established. Alas, casualties were severe and could not withstand repeated german assaults.

The last surviving members surrendered to stop the merciless killing.

Moral of the Story: Don't attack across the road without lot's of smoke.

Signed:

Maj. Widdlesworth

Loser with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters.

Reporting in on the Mighty Mouse Olympics:

Splash (G) Pfc Dunsel (F) Turn 17

Well I guess we were having too much fun or Unt Lumbach ate too many hotdogs cause Pfc Dunsel's AFV rose over a hill exactly where expected and popped Unt Lumbach in the middle of a chuckle or was that a burp I heard.

Anyways Dunsel's 50 cal opened up and Lumbach buttoned up but forgot he had to shoot back or aim for that matter. I guess the mountain air made him a bit giddy.

Presently we're readying for Pfc Dunsel's turn on the downhill - we've got a great view!

DISIN ROSINE:

Pfc Dunsel we feel like this is a reprise - an inevitable is about to happen -- you must come and visit us, you will come and visit us because well... because we have all the hotdogs.

Bring our stopwatches back when you decide your ready will you.

Now that I am not constantly checking e-mail looking for messages from YankeeDog, I am having withdrawal symptoms. I need another CMBO hit, and I need it now!

So, I am wanting to join the losers group with the rest of the alternates/losers. If anyone is up for a game, e-mail me and we will arrange it through SuperTed.