The Newbie Tournaments II

Announcing the Combat Mission Newbie Tournaments!

“One will win all; the rest will lose one.”

This is where the Newbies come to play!

There are four Sub-Tournaments: The SuperNewbie Knock-Out Tournament, where players with no prior multiplayer experience duke it out; The Garden Variety (GV) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with limited prior multiplayer experience have a go at it; The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with "issues" scratch and claw at each other; and The Alterna Bowl, where alternates do whatever it is they do. ;)

The participants for The SuperNewbie Knock-Out Tournament are:

Lord Dragon

Humus B. Chittenbee

Witko

Pfc. Dunsel

Zitadelle

El Griz

Toran29

DL

Vader’s Jester

Austin Bowie

YankeeDog

Dave H

Dan Buttar

SPLASH

Dize

Hobo

DD_Rob (alternate)

Dinga (alternate)

R.C. (alternate)

Bruce Robert (alternate)

The participants for The Garden Variety (GV) Newbie Knock-Out Tournament are:

vadr

Chad ‘Harrison’

Leta

Ligur

Hawk

Walker

Stormhouse

Von Viniga

Jim Liang

Chasd

Commander

Rucrazee

Dfgardner

White4

Major Catastrophe

Erik Alkema

Darknight_Canuck (alternate)

Bad Monkey! (alternate)

Armdchair (alternate)

Thewood (alternate)

The participants for The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament are:

Flammenwerfer

Bobbaro

mortar

Bruce Bowes

CombatGeneral

Asler

Silvio Manuel

voidhawk

Bog

icedog42

Sir Uber General

RedBastard

Donkey Hotay

Newlife

Vitalis

DStone

Andrewgy (alternate)

f1shlips (alternate)

Hoopenfaust 101 (alternate)

Sgt Colon (alternate)

If anybody is interested in following the progress of the tournaments, vadr has set up some online tournament brackets. To see what's happening, go here.

Enjoy!

Good luck to all!

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the match-ups for Round 2:

SuperNewbies

Hobo (33) vs. Witko (67)

Dave H vs. SPLASH

YankeeDog vs. DL

Vader's Jester vs. Austin Bowie

Alternates-

R.C. (73) vs. Dinga (82)

DD_Rob (27) vs. Bruce Robert (18)

GV Newbies

Eric Alkema (27) vs. Stormhouse (43)

Jim Liang vs. Ligur

White4 vs. Leta

Hawk (86) vs. Walker (14)

Alternates-

Darknight_Canuck (41) vs. Armdchair (41)

Bad Monkey! (36) vs. Thewood (30)

Newbie Rejects

Icedog42 vs. Mortar

Bobbaro (18) vs. Voidhawk (82)

DStone vs. Silvio Manuel

Newlife vs. Donkey Hotay

Alternates-

Hoopenfaust 101 (33+36=69) vs. Andrewgy (58+51=109)

Sgt Colon (34+25=59) vs. F1shlips (18+65=83)

Loser Pile tongue.gif

Lord Dragon

Commander vs. RedBastard

Rucrazee

Sir Uber General

RedBastard vs. Dfgardner

Humus B. Chittenbee vs. Toran29

Chasd

ASLer

Von Viniga

Zitadelle vs. Dan Buttar

Pfc. Dunsel vs. Bruce Bowes

Flammenwerfer

Major Catastrophe

Vadr

CombatGeneral

Dize

Haohmaru

Bog vs. Dfgardner

Scenarios Available for Exhibition Play

Rabbit's Foot

Blood & Steel (VERY LARGE!)

Medium Rare

A Bridge Too Close

For the Players, the deadline for the first leg of Round 2 (Give and Take) is 1200 hours (GMT -6:00) on February 16. Round 2 (Nothing Fancy and A Bridge Too Close) officially ends at 12:00 pm (GMT -6:00) around March 8. If it's done sooner, that's a good thing. ;)

Good luck!

Note: Player scores in bold indicate the final tally for the round. If the score is not bold then it includes only the first of two scores.

Note: Alternate scores that include only one number (eg. 56) indicate that Alternate's score from Round 1. If two numbers are included (eg. 56+41=97), that Alternate's scores from Round 1 and Round 2 have been tallied.

[ February 10, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

The Alterna Bowl has officially begun!

There will be two sections: the Competition; and the Exhibition.

Part 1-The Competition

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the Newbie Tournaments. In particular, I have been mulling over the question of what the whole purpose of the tournament is. Among other things, I came to the conclusion that we are trying to match inexperienced players in order to have fun and gain experience.

I believe that is generally what is taking place. However, there is one group that is being left out. I am referring to the tournament Alternates. They, like the Players, signed up to play CM with other Newbies and, by God, that's exactly what they will do!

I have decided to make a secondary competition for the Alternates. This will keep all of you who "did not make the cut" involved with the process, so that you are ready to jump into the fray if it is needed.

The scenarios I am designing for the Alternates will be different from the ones being used in the actual tournament (but they will provide just as many challenges). For each round, each Alternate will play one scenario against another Alternate from the same bracket. The opponents will be rotated for the first three rounds and an aggregate score will be tallied for each Alternate. The Alternates with the highest aggregate score from each bracket and a Wildcard (the highest-scoring Alternate that did not lead a bracket) will advance to the semi-finals!

The time limits for completing the scenarios will be similar to that of the formal tournament. There will be six weeks alotted for each round. Since the first three rounds will involve each Alternate playing only one scenario, there should be no problem completing it in six weeks. The final round will be divided into two three-week legs. The first leg will be the semi-finals and the second leg will be the championship.

If an Alternate is needed to fill a spot in the tournament, the option to do so will be given in the order in which the Alternates are listed in the brackets. If this happens, that Alternate will be eliminated from the Alterna Bowl. If an alternate Alternate cannot be found, a back-up system will be implemented for determining the winner of that bracket.

Part 2-The Exhibition

Now, just in case you thought there was a limit to my dedication to this tournament, I'm here to tell you there is not! As Players and Alternates are eliminated from the tournament, they will be thrown onto the Loser Pile and given the chance to get involved in the Alternate Bowl. Of course, they will not be eligible to win the coveted Alterna Cup, but they will be allowed to play the scenarios. This will be on a "for fun" basis and no scores will be recorded. There will be no deadlines enforced for completing the scenarios, but I ask that you attempt to keep things going at a decent clip.

There will be five scenarios used in the Alterna Bowl (one each for Rounds 1-3 and two for Round 4). Players will be allowed to play only the scenario(s) currently or previously used by the Alternates.

How do I get an opponent, you ask? Well, that's simple. When you are eliminated from the tournament, just post a message in the official tournament thread (i.e. here) and let people know you are looking to play. Once you have found an opponent for a particular scenario, please edit your post to let others know.

See the first page of this thread for the match-ups and the Loser Pile.

Good luck!

Okay, here is more information than you need:

Average age-32.58

Age Range-12 to 72

Countries/States Represented-

Australia

Canada

England

Finland

Germany

Netherlands

Norway

Scotland

Spain

Switzerland

United States-Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusets, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Washington.

That's all I have to say about that. smile.gif

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

quote redface.gif riginally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Oh? Is there any extra 'championship round' match to be had for the winner of the Newbie Reject tournament? That might be tough for a 3-player deal, perhaps the Alterna Bowl winner could be the 4th to even it out...random matchup b/w the 4 winners? Whaddya think SuperTed? (not to overburden you with the thought of *another* tourney).

SM,

Did you say...another...tournament? <http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/eek.gif>

It's worth considering...

Just and idea, Ted...perhaps the winners of the SuperNewbies, GardenVariety Newbies, Newbie Rejects, and Newbie Alterna-Bowl could square off...like a Final Four of newbiedom. draw names out of a hat to determine which sub-champs play each other....just fer kicks and learning.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

quote redface.gif riginally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Oh? Is there any extra 'championship round' match to be had for the winner of the Newbie Reject tournament? That might be tough for a 3-player deal, perhaps the Alterna Bowl winner could be the 4th to even it out...random matchup b/w the 4 winners? Whaddya think SuperTed? (not to overburden you with the thought of *another* tourney).

**SuperTEd previously said:**

SM,

Did you say...another...tournament? <http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/eek.gif>

It's worth considering...

Just and idea, Ted...perhaps the winners of the SuperNewbies, GardenVariety Newbies, Newbie Rejects, and Newbie Alterna-Bowl could square off...like a Final Four of newbiedom. draw names out of a hat to determine which sub-champs play each other....just fer kicks and learning.

I know you wouldn't mind subjecting us Newbies to more of your fun and nasty scenarios! I like these maps that have no Victory Flags.

<hr></blockquote>

Originally posted by SuperTed:

[QB]Announcing the Combat Mission Newbie Tournaments!

...The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with "issues" scratch and claw at each other; ...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mortar:

Originally posted by SuperTed:

[QB]Announcing the Combat Mission Newbie Tournaments!

...The Newbie Rejects (NR) Knock-Out Tournament, where players with "issues" scratch and claw at each other; ...

AAR Report, Blind Man's Bluff, Splash vs Pfc. Dunsel

Things started well for me in the first few moves, one of Splash's platoons stumbled over one of my spotters, who managed to take out 3 of the enemy before escaping. At about the same time, one of my squads overan one of Splash's spotters and eliminated him, while suffering only one casualty.

But with each of those encounters, we had both gotten a general idea of direction and concentrations of the other. And this is also where I made a mistake that would prove to be unrecoverable in the span of the battle. My spotter showed his men to be massing, maybe even all of his platoons, in a relatively small area of the woods. My response was to prepare to surround and contain his mass, forcing him to engage one of my groups, thereby allowing my other groups to respond by attacking on his flanks ("grab him by the nose, and kick him in the ...").

What I didn't expect was how well Splash would be able to take advantage of two things, the sheer mass of his group, and a very fluid approach to each encounter. But a better description would be that Splash was downright mercurial. Like trying to grab the proverbial blob of quicksilver (don't try this at home kids, mercury causes cancer), each time I drew out and engaged Splash's forces, and got my flanking groups into position, his forces moved to somewhere else just far away enough to be lost in the fog and to elude my efforts at flanking him, frustrating my efforts to engage his main body of troops with anything more than a single platoon at any time.

So basically, two such encounters left 2 of my axis platoons fully eliminated, although at a very high cost to Splash. But I felt thoroughly out-manuvered, like I was constantly arriving 'late for the party'. And indeed, I was consistently a bit too late to do any real damage, it seemed.

In the final tally however, I lost almost 74% of my troops, and Splash lost almost 73%, but alas, the game's point system doesn't really directly reflect that particular aspect of the battle, and given purchase costs, the state of things when CM ended the game, exit points, and the mystics of CM's internal calculations, the game software declared a 'minor' Allied victory for Splash of 59 points to 41. Ouch. That 18 point spread doesn't seem so minor, and is still somewhat confusing to me.

On the other hand, I thought all along that Splash was the overall winner in this enagement, for he was consistently unpredictable, forcing me to adapt and follow, and his swift, massive attacks were devastating.

It was a fun party Splash, and I'm glad it was just a game.

Well done, Splash. And thank you, Super Ted.

Over & Out,

Pfc. Dunsel

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pfc. Dunsel:

AAR Report, Blind Man's Bluff, Splash vs Pfc. Dunsel

Well done, Splash. And thank you, Super Ted.

Over & Out,

Pfc. Dunsel<hr></blockquote>

Well that was really nice (sniff) and I would like to fill out an AAR that does justice to the terror Pfc Dunsel filled me with - however what appears to be missing so far are REPORTS FROM THE FRONT LINES.

Where are those intrepid reporters? Front line photographers? Confessionals from the grunt? Obsessional Generals?

THIS IS WORLD WAR II, BOYS! Command headquarters wants reports, soldier!

Anybody who wants to second this motion, please do. tongue.gif

Without giving anything away, here is Ted and my current battlefield situation:

He is advancing with armored cars and M8's towards an obivious strongpoint of mine (barb wire, road blocks, ect). Or is it a strong point? ;)

He has laid down support area fire with his two M8s and demolished a building in the small village I am holding. One of my units has been eliminated (I won't reveal what it is, as his men have probably not I.D.'d it yet).

We are still very earily in the game. :cool:

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Walker:

...Is this a record or is this a record?

Chris Walker<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that MUST be a record.

It sounds like you guys are having a "conscientious objectors" tournament.

Happy Holidays,

Pfc. Dunsel

After a no-contact Blind Man's Bluff scenario Chad and I are now into MightyMouse turn 9 with no hostile activity recorded. That makes 29 turns without a shot fired! Is this a record or is this a record?

Chris,

Did I forget to give you guys ammo? :eek:

Wow! Christmas flashback!!!

This is my first Christmas with CM and I just finished a turn with my opponant Wiko (who is likely to kick my butt in this one - you guys in the second round watch out!) in the Mighty Mouse scenerio and I realized that one of the best-all-time-gifts I ever got for Christmas (and no, it wasn't the Red Ryder) was the deluxe set of plastic army men that came with the thin plastic map and plastic barbed wire and a few half-tracks and tanks...man, I played with that set for years! My mom was fishing army guys out of the wash-machine and the vacuum cleaner bag... I'd find a stash buried in the back yard years later.

I must have been 6 or 7...30 years ago...Thanks BTS! You've brought back a great memory from the oh so distant past. Merry Christmas, fellow wargamers!

That makes 29 turns without a shot fired! Is this a record or is this a record?

Holy cows! We were slugging it out by round 4 with both Puma's and Greyhound's afire!

After a no-contact Blind Man's Bluff scenario Chad and I are now into MightyMouse turn 9 with no hostile activity recorded. That makes 29 turns without a shot fired! Is this a record or is this a record?

Sounds murky -- I think we need to hear from Chad -- mebbe his story will shed some light on the situation. Should be an interesting report!