Henschel Flips Out, Kicks Panzergruppe in Head!

(real minor spoilers for "Wittman in the East" scenario follow...)

My Henschel tank buster flipped out on me and took out THREE tanks, including Wittman's, two half-tracks, then started strafing my troops. This is in Wittman in the East. I mean, I stopped the movie when it displayed the target line and the name of the plane, to make sure.

Is this thing a CAPTURED Henschel attacking me from the soviet side, because otherwise I am going to BEAT THE HELL out of this pilot. Where's that option, BTS?! Where's the "beat pilot" scenario? :D

After seeing many posts on the subject, I have to conclude that with respect to the friendly skies, I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

The forum will be pleased.

Without exception, friendly air has done one and only one thing for me every single time I've had it- it has bombed the nuts out of enemy armor...

...that I had already destroyed. Call me lucky.

Eden

this is primarily a land game and the majority of the vet players are also army/marine and the side of an issue is usually supported.

The air forces are rather "thin on the ground" around here, ie alternative views.

However the Close air seems to be about as effective as it was in the real world, dangerous to both sides.

My Henschel tank buster flipped out on me and took out THREE tanks, including Wittman's, two half-tracks, then started strafing my troops. This is in Wittman in the East. I mean, I stopped the movie when it displayed the target line and the name of the plane, to make sure.
I've not had such an extreme 'Friendly fire' incident, but I've often had the experience that the Henschel, tends to take out your own units according to Sod's law, ie the most valuable. Last night my Sturmmörser was taken out. Most annoying, especially as the nearest Soviet units were 800m away! :mad:

In CMBO, I found it seemed to always happen, when I was sneaking up on a German tank. I'd get in position, then along comes the USAAF, misses the tank and totals my boys. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

Same exact thing happened to me, Terrapin (although at least Wittman didn't get fragged). When it happened, I just nodded my head and thought, "Yep. That figures."

Well, maybe I'll give the game some historical realism props for having Wittman get taken out by an aircraft shot. :D

Which begs the question, were pilots so nearsighted that they couldn't tell the difference between a Tiger and a T-34 out in the open? Isn't that a little "Mr. Magoo-ish"?

Now, I can understand it if the tanks, troops, what have you, are partially hidden in trees and such, but right out in the open, like in the scenario "Wittman in the East", just makes me wonder.

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

Without exception, friendly air has done one and only one thing for me every single time I've had it- it has bombed the nuts out of enemy armor...

...that I had already destroyed. Call me lucky.

Sorry folks, but I have been invited to your club. Last game I was forced to buy four planes, which once, twice, three times fired on my troops, on a map with Open tree coverage, Clear skies, Mid-day, Gentle rolling slopes...

ButWaitTheresMore- this was an ASSAULT! The enemy's position is known!!! We're the guys Attacking, yeah?!? My troops were 200m away from the VL id est the enemy positions...?!?

Um... has anyone from BTS commented on "looking at" this issue? I've got just one Mr Magoo incident myself, to borrow the other poster's lingo, but it is pretty tough to swallow, and from what I've read of y'all... could there be a NeedForTweak in 02...? Or just don't buy planes? smile.gif

Eden

This begs the question, were Air attacks conducted against an enemy WHILE that unit was in contact w/ friendly forces? I know almost nothing about the Eastern Front and not much about the Western Front but even in that theater, I can’t remember reading of an account where a friendly plane helped dispatch an enemy that was firing on a friendly ground unit. I just assumed that most, if not all, tactical air attacks, took place behind the front lines or prepped a position before an assault, but weren’t involved when the bullets flew. Even gun film seems to show tanks being blown to bits while driving in a column down a road, not attacking or defending a piece of real estate.

Personally, I think its next to impossible to differentiate between a green/brown metal box driven by a Russian from a green/brown metal box driven by a German from 1000 feet while flying at 200 mph. That’s why they didn’t try, and concentrated on the metal boxes in an area where they KNEW they were all bad guys. Am I totally wrong? If so, where and when did planes fight side by side with infantry?

[ December 17, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Dmeek ]

My tanks and half-tracks were in close assault on enemy trenches. The troops the Henschel strafed were in a trench (by themselves).

Yeah, the scenario is believable, but the number of gutted units due to it is annoying. 2xPZIVD, 1 Tiger, 2 half-tracks immobilized, one squad near tears.

[ December 17, 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]