London Sneak Preview Part deux reports

That happened yesterday, and a few people attended. Nice afternoon, with a BBQ that was very capably handled by Sean from New Zealand (no surprises there). Folk in attendance were James Crowlez, Simon Elwen, Mike (Flamingknives), Richard Morgan, and Sean the Master of the BBQ.

Feel free to post your comments here. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

CMBB is very pretty - it has lots of little touches that I'm not allowed to tell you about, and the level of detail is fantastic - it really is more apparent when you can rotate the model.

Airpower is a real threat - in one of the battles, Russian airpower farily minced up the Germans armour.

Kiwis cook a mean BBQ

Thanks Andreas for hosting again , and to Sean for a top BBQ . Next time we should dig a hangi pit and do a real kiwi feast !

Again this was a very enjoyable afternoon , I was able to delve into the game a more and now thats going to make the wait even harder .

One thing that I really noticed is the difference between CMBO and CMBB gameplay due to the improvements made . There will be learning curve and some of what ones learned before will no longer apply . Everyone can expect a few surprises . If only the next 8 weeks or so would fly by !.

And so did I :D

Once again Andreas opened up his flat to gang of CM miscreants and treated us to a grand Barbie and several hours of CMBB goodies. That subtle blend (or is it crude mixture?) of barbecued sausages and steak, beer and CMBB is damned hard to beat. A big thankyou to Andreas smile.gif

For my part I wanted to get a closer look at the QB system, since I use it a lot in CMBO and I know there are some other devotees out there.

QB'ers, you will not be disappointed! There are more options, more pulldowns and almost total randomness if you want it. The possible combinations seem almost limitless and this feature alone would guarantee me purchasing CMBB (as if there was any doubt anyway)

We generated a 1000 pt ME and the unit mix (computer picked)was both authentic in make up and also very interesting (and for the Germans quite challenging.)The map was also very well laid out and for a medium map seemed larger than those in CMBO (can't swear to that). We had chosen heavy damage so there was a lot of shell holes especially around the target area (flags)and these caused advancing Russian vehicles some trouble.

In the course of the battle it was interesting experimenting with some of the new commands and observing the very negative effects that being out of C&C can produce. That, together with extreme FoW, goes a long way to deadening 'borg spotting'; relative spotting it 'aint but it goes very much in the right direction. I must admit to being very pleased with that aspect.

As I also was when the AAR screen came up at the end (and that also is improved); actual casualties were quite low. It seems our virtual soldiers are much less keen to die for the mother/fatherland, prefering to keep down out of harms way. Much more realistic IMO.

My first preview was taken up, more or less, with oohs and ahhs over the new graphics and sounds.

A few weeks on, and that affect hasn't diminished; far from it, there were more graphical surprises in store and all I'm allowed (I hope!) to say on that is wait 'til you see a hut get clobbered by a large calibre shell - :D

You are going to love this game - as Simon says ( is that a pun?) eight weeks is a long time to have to wait.

Ha Treeburst!

Caught you - you need sleep buddy - as if you are not overworked already with the Clash of the Titans and RoW II! smile.gif

Thanks for the postings on the sneak preview gentlemen - always good to read this from a land far away and out of the sneak preview range...

Regards,

Charl Theron

Thank you Andreas for arranging the preview. We will try and cook your steak a tad rarer next time :mad:

I'm not allowed to say too much, but if anyone thinks that CMBB is CMBO with T 34's, then they have a very pleasant surprise coming: there are too many new features to mention. I was particularly impressed by the new morale model. Tanks in particular, behave very differently to those in CMBO.

In fact, "Tanks a million"

Richard Morgan.

P.S. I hope that the CMBB team have not dispensed with sleep completely in order to meet the deadline. Look after yourselves guys ;)

Originally posted by James Crowley:

QB'ers, you will not be disappointed! There are more options, more pulldowns and almost total randomness if you want it. The possible combinations seem almost limitless and this feature alone would guarantee me purchasing CMBB (as if there was any doubt anyway)

Groovy ! :D:D:D

Originally posted by James Crowley:

Which brings one thought to my mind: is there an option to save a "presets"? For example, a 700pt Combined Arms Attack/Defend in the fog chosen with one click of a drop down menu?

The CMBB sounds great, but I have to correct you on one issue.

What you had is not barbecue, but grilled meats. Of course, a grill is just as delicious in its own way, and I mean no disprespect, and of course, as a European (barely one step up from Yankee) you are not expected to know the difference.

For future reference however, grilling is done over coals with direct heat. It usually happens quite quickly, with the meats being cooked within several minutes.

Barbecue, often abbreviated BBQ or just 'cue, uses (this is key) indirect heat to slowly break down the meat over hour and hours.

Still, I wish I'd been there.

We generated a 1000 pt ME and the unit mix (computer picked)was both authentic in make up and also very interesting (and for the Germans quite challenging.)
Yes. You'll notice that the German vehicles didn't have any trouble with the terrain. That's because there weren't any! :mad: .1942 german infantry, so no panzerfausts. Stiffed!