Army in WW2 Green Book Series - FYI: New Info!

The GPO is offering all volumes of the European, Mediterranean, and Middle East theaters...all on one CD.

**New Military History Publication for Sale**

1. United States Army and World War II: European, Mediterranean, Middle East

Theaters of Operations (CD-ROM)

From the US Army Center of Military History, this 4 CD-ROM set contains a

collection of works on World War II operations and campaigns in the

European, Mediterranean, and Middle East theaters.

Disc 1

The Supreme Command

Logistical Support of the Armies, Vol. I: May 1941-Sept. 1944

Logistical Support of the Armies, Vol. II: Sept. 1944- May 1945

Cross Channel Attack

Breakout and Pursuit

Disc 2

The Lorraine Campaign

The Siegfried Line Campaign

The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge

Riviera to the Rhine

Disc 3

The Last Offensive

The Persian corridor and Aid to Russia

Northwest Africa: Seizing the Initiative in the West

Disc 4

Sicily and the Surrender of Italy

Salerno to Cassino

Cassino to the Alps

System requirements: Windows: 486 PC; 8M RAM for Windows 95; 16M RAM for NT;

Macintosh: Power Macintosh; System 7.5; 4.5 M RAM. NB1290 S/N

008-029-00376-7

TO ORDER:

Go to: http://bookstore.gpo.gov/

U.S. Price: $23.00

Non-U.S. Price: $32.30

Stock No.008-029-00376-7

[ July 22, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Mike,

It didn't say. I already have the maps so I didn't bother to ask. I am sure maps included in the text will be there but as for the others I don't know.

[ July 02, 2002, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Just ordered mine! Many, Many Thanks...No more going to UC Irvine with another $20 to copy the next absolutely necessary chapters!...By the way...the best maps were stolen years ago...like no one ever heard of a copy machine before!

Cool! Several years ago, I got an offer from a publisher who announced that they were going to do reprints and would give a special price to people subscribing in advance. I signed up, but then a couple months later received a notice that the project had been canceled. Bummer.

Of course there have been other reprints done with only the in-text maps (bummer) with which most of you seem already to be familiar. I'm not sure if this new series was planned to have the complete collection of maps or not, but I was looking forward to it.

Maps sure seem to be getting damned expensive...

Michael

To those ordering: please reply here on the map issue when you get your copies. I'll almost certainly order for the wealth of text information (well worth it), but the general lack of maps in books/other media bugs me (I've read way too many military history books with no maps at all - a familiar experience, I'm sure :( ). I have a pretty good collection of map-only books, but the inclusion of maps covering the specific actions discussed in the text would be great.

So, please post here about whether maps are included on the CD-ROM once you get yours - thanks. And here's another "thank you" to Frenchy for mentioning this! smile.gif

[ July 04, 2002, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: WendellM ]

Originally posted by Agentorange:

Coming from the wilds of Britain I have a question for y'all. Are these the official US war war histories - similiar to those published in Britain by HMSO for the british forces ?

I don't believe I have read any British official histories so I can't compare them directly, but I will describe these volumes and you can get some idea from that. First of all, they are NOT specific to particular units. They tend to be histories of campaigns. I have the one on Normandy; it covers the battle from the beachhead to St. Lo. I also have the one on Torch, which covers US forces from the landings to the last days in Tunisia. I have the volume that covers the Solomons from New Georgia to Bouganville. There are many other volumes in the series. Some cover non-operational issues, such as the Persian Corridor (Lend-Lease to the USSR). The series concentrates on the activities of the US Army and usually only peripherally mentions other services, although the one on Overlord does go into the early British strategy and planning in some depth.

Michael

Thanks Frenchy ... but GRRRRrrrrrr :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I HATE e-commerce sites that are country specific!!!!!

The bloody page won't accept an order unless I enter a two-letter state code. What state code am I supposed to use to indicate I live outside the US? [n/a] doesn't work, neither does [na] or [NZ].

A few more angrys, because I am: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[Edit to note that I was only allowed to use eight 'angrys' ... I wanted to use lots more ...]

[ July 04, 2002, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Agentorange, a full list can be found here.

Regards

JonS

[Edit: adding a few angrys, cos I hit the limit on my first post :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ]

[ July 04, 2002, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Michael,

what annoys me is that its intended to accept orders from overseas - it includes an entry for which country you want them to send it to - but they have made the state 'required', and its 'smart' enough to know which are valid codes and which aren't.

I've seen this kind of simple error in site design too many times. Usually its a requirement to put in a postcode or zipcode, neither of which we use. In that case I normally enter 90210 as its the only one I know off the top of my head ;) Normally it seems to work, but this state code has me stumped.

I don't want my CDs wandering around North America trying to find a town called 'Wellington', when they should be heading for the South Pacific and my mail box.

Sigh

JonS

[Edit: adding a last few angrys :mad: :mad: :mad: Ahh. I feel better now]

[ July 04, 2002, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JonS:

its intended to accept orders from overseas - it includes an entry for which country you want them to send it to

They (rightly) seem happy to charge a higher price for non-US-citizens (after all, non-US folk didn't pay for *whatever* survey in the first place). My apologies as a private US citizen: we can barely keep a cap on governmental mistakes and bull**** on a local level - I apologize to anyone having to deal with such on an international level: good luck!

Oh, and what about maps, please smile.gif .

Wendell

[ July 04, 2002, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: WendellM ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I don't believe I have read any British official histories so I can't compare them directly, but I will describe these volumes and you can get some idea from that. First of all, they are NOT specific to particular units. They tend to be histories of campaigns. I have the one on Normandy; it covers the battle from the beachhead to St. Lo. I also have the one on Torch, which covers US forces from the landings to the last days in Tunisia. I have the volume that covers the Solomons from New Georgia to Bouganville. There are many other volumes in the series. Some cover non-operational issues, such as the Persian Corridor (Lend-Lease to the USSR). The series concentrates on the activities of the US Army and usually only peripherally mentions other services, although the one on Overlord does go into the early British strategy and planning in some depth.

Michael[/QB]

They sound pretty interesting, I'm not to worried if they don't cover other countries - after all they are the histories of the American army :D

how detailed are they?. The official british histories vary but some get down to almost company level detail of actions, whilst others cover the broader sweep of the campaign as it were.

I'm considering forking out to buy these.. would you recommend them to someone trying to get a good detailed set of literature on American military activity in WW2?

Originally posted by Agentorange:

how detailed are they?. The official british histories vary but some get down to almost company level detail of actions, whilst others cover the broader sweep of the campaign as it were.

These can be pretty detailed. If a crucial action was being fought out at the company level, that's where the narrative will go. But mostly, it stays somewhere about the battalion or regiment level in its descriptions.

I'm considering forking out to buy these.. would you recommend them to someone trying to get a good detailed set of literature on American military activity in WW2?
Mostly yes! But choose carefully based upon where your interests lie. Military histories that go into a subject that you are not into can be awesomely tedious. But all the ones I've seen are well above average, both in their research and evaluation and even more in the straightforward clarity of the writing style.

Michael

Agent Orange: These are direct copies of the official US Army History during WW2; known as the Green Books. When the disk arrives, I will let you know if the maps from the atlases are included.

For those ordering from a foreign country, there is a 1-800 number you could call but don't know if it's toll free. They do accept orders outside the US because the have a seperate fee for the CD.

Here's the info to call:

Contact the GPO Order Desk between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., EST at 1-866-512-1800 (Toll-free) or 202-512-1800 (DC Metro area only) to place or

inquire about orders. When placing an order via phone, please refer to processing code 3376. To place an order by regular mail, send payment to

Superintendent of Documents, P.O. Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15050-7954.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I just got the CD's today. A very nice set with ALL MAPS INCLUDED. Actually this is one good bargin from the US Government!

and the whole thing is just $23 ??? That's almost too good to believe.

What is the scan quality of the maps? If I were to print them out on a large format printer would they come out to their normal size and quality? IIRC some of the maps were large fold out type maps.

[ July 10, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Pak40 ]

OK, I just found it online and ordered it.

The web site is horrible for finding something unless you know the exact title.

Here's how to find it easily:

On the main page, click on advanced search. Put this stock number in with the quotes: "008-029-00376-7"

If you dont put the quotes then you will get hundreds of WWII books, which is also interesting to browse through.