How's everyone feeling about hull-down?

A proper 200+ page manual is just 2 weeks away, thank God... I mean Matt. CMBO and CMBB are just about the most intuitive games I've ever learned how to play. Still, it's the finer points of commands like 'seek-hull-down', 'cover arc', and 'follow vehicle' that will make the maunal a valuable addition to my permanent bathroom reading collection. :rolleyes:

Guys, the hull-down command is - on purpose - not supposed to be a magic über-command that gives your tank near instant hull-down positions willy nilly. Read one of the previous posts (on page 1) about how it's done in real life (paraphrasing: commander gives driver command to move to a spot where he *thinks* the tank will be hull-down to). Finding a hull-down position, except in rare circumstances where you happen to find a 4 by 4 meter hole in the ground, is by no means something you do just like that in a combat situation.

So the hull-down command in the game is supposed to make the player's life a little easier - look at the map, estimate if there's a hull-down position on the way, and issue the command. In some cases, HUNT works better (when you're cresting a hill), in others HULL-DOWN is best (when you have to travel for 30 seconds or more to a possible hull-down point). Like many other things in CM, there is no one answer to what is better. But one thing HULL DOWN is not - and never was intended to be - the replacement of a human player's mark one eyeball.

BTW, an important thing to not (and gosh I hope I didn't forget this in the manual...), the tank is NOT using HUNT to move while using the HULL DOWN command. It's using move. The reasoning is quite simple - when the TC orders the driver to move into hull-down, this is usually top priority. Or how would you like when a threat pops up 10 meters before you reached a hull down position, and your tank stops to engage the enemy? It's SOP to move to hull-down first (and fast), and then worry about targets. This DOES mean that your HULL DOWN seeking tank IS vulnerable to the enemy if you misjudge the terrain, and it keeps on travelling towards the enemy. It will try to fire on the move, but since the chance for that is usually around 1-2%, it's risky... however, you can always change the command after 60 seconds (max), so just book this under "TC misjudged terrain, stuff happens"... smile.gif

Moon!!

Thank you so much!

What a Great Explanation!

I think that is PERFECT!

Hull-Down is not a replacement for Hunt and SHOULD not be a replacement.

The logic and implentation are exceptional! The reasoning is sound and in the end I think the new h Hull-Down command is really just the "lazy man's" Hunt command.

I'll stick with Hunt most of the time thanks very much, BUT its a cool new feature none the less, Great work on the code there Charles!

I can't wait to get my hands on the "FULL colour" manual (that must have COST a bundle!).

Thanks again Moon! smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Moon:

Guys, the hull-down command is - on purpose - not supposed to be a magic über-command ...

In my humble opinion, the hull-down order DOES über-magic on the Zitadelle map!!! A very useful command indeed!

Regards,

Thomm

Re: The subject line.

It must be perfect since it is more or less exactly what I and Mark IV dreamed up in a thread a very long time ago. My eyes misted over a bit actually when I read the description in the Readme.

Note: I do not in any way, shape or form want to take credit for the implementation of this command as I have no clue of whether we were the first to suggest it nor if anyone on the team even read those posts. Still, it is something to feel good about.

Yes, this post contained no valid info and was just a way to say "Look how great I used to be".

Thank you.

One technique I've discovered as a replacement for Hull Down, If you KNOW the enemy's on the other side of the crest and you're out of line-of-sight you can try the new comand "Move to Contact". The tank will move forward til it sees an enemy unit- hopefully spotting it just as it moves forward from turret-down to hull-down.