What is the best 1 volume overview book of the East Front in WWII?

Guest Sgt. Emren

Check out "The German-Russo War 1941-45" by Albert Seaton. It's division level accounts, a bit light on maps but excellent on operational records. Gives interesting figure (casualties, armor, artillery, etc.) as well. Good references for further studies as well.

[ September 16, 2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Emren ]

Originally posted by Crimguy:

I also recommend Barbarossa. Terrific read, IMHO. I also enjoyed a book called Panzer Attacks. Can't remember the author (retired German staff general), but caught the mood of the battles, despite giving the germans too much credit at times.

F. von Mellenthin.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Mellinthin wrote another book besides Panzer Battles?

Whoops, maybe I posted too quickly.

Must have been because I was looking through my bookshelf for something to read and Panzer Battles caught my eye.

Perhaps he means Panzer Leader by Guderian?

True, how about Panzer on the Eastern Front by Gen. Erhard Raus? He was a general, has "panzer" in the title and is about Russia. Actually, I just finished it and it is great! Something like four battles all of unique nature, described and detailed for (I think) staff training.

I bet you're right though that it was Mellinthin, although that was more about combat than the whole sweeping strategy, if I remember correctly.

Clarke blends the entire war into focus with his excellent prose, including maps where necessary. Sometimes he writes at the level of international leaders, but he will often change his perspective and focus on minor events if he deems themimportant.

Great book, can't say enough good about it.

I would highly reccomend Professor John Erickson's two volume set on the Eastern Front;

"The Road to Stalingrad"

and

"The Road to Berlin".

An absolute wealth of information. Some heavy reading to be sure, but your grasp of events on the Eastern Front would be better for it. At least - that was my experience smile.gif

Originally posted by RobVarak:

I recommend "Ostfront" by Charles Winchester. The local grogs have singed me a bit about it, but I think it's a great, light introduction and overview. Puts everything into context nicely and has an exhaustive bibliography that can guide more detailed study.

I agree. This is an Osprey book with pictures and maps that runs 150 pages. It will give you a quick understanding of what happened on the east front. Then you can better appreciate the deeper books as you have time. That's what I'm doing.

Originally posted by Madison:

I would highly recommend a few books by David Glantz, in particular, When Titans Clashed.

John

Thats the one that had 1 page description of progress of Kursk (Zitadelle) battle.

-->Way to brief at times!

-->Not enough maps!

Otherwise quite reasonable book.

[ September 16, 2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: killmore ]

Sgian Dubh, thank's for asking the question I was going to ask. I don't have much in the way of funds to spread around and am looking to probably pick up one, reasonably priced and reasonably intelligent/useful book on the East Front.

I actually figured this would be a big ol' furball of conflicting opinions, but it sounds like "Barbarossa" by Clarke is getting the majority of votes.

I'll likely be forced to purchase it via Amazon since my geographic area is lacking in fine cultural establishments, like good bookstores ;)