Panthers firing at 3000 meters!

I saw something last night which left me a bit perplexed.

I was playing a scenario on a wide open map. I had ordered a platoon of panthers, made up of regular AI troops, to move to contact over a ridge. As the tanks came to the crest, they spotted two T-34's 3 000 meters away and started firing! :eek: I left them there and all four tanks spent the next turn happily firing off AP shells as fast as they could at these two tanks, getting few hits and causing negligible damage.

I have to admit I was a bit surprised since I was under the impression that the maximum effective range for WWII era tank guns was 1 000 - 1 500 meters. I also would have thought that the TacAi would recognize on its own that the chances of killing a tank at that range are slim to none and that it would cease firing on its own.

So what is going on here, were WWII era tanks that effective ? or is the AI having trouble dealing with an unusual situation (i.e. getting a clear shot at such a great distance!)

From a report of Colonel Decker, commander of Panzerbrigade 10, July 17th 1943:

"...Overall it can be said that the Panther, despite some teething problems and the unreliable engine, is a very good vehicle....Its main gun is outstanding. Until today the regiment destroyed 263 enemy tanks. Russian KW-1 tanks were destroyed up to 3000m and almost all T-34 tanks were destroyed at ranges from 1500-2000m."

[Jentz, Die deutsche Panzertruppe]

[ October 17, 2002, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Even though it is possible to hit targets at long range, I don't believe that firing at AFV's farther than 1,500-2,000 meters is an effective tactic or a judicious use of ammunition.

Beyond 1,500 meters, Panthers and Tigers are practically impervious to frontal shots from Soviet tanks, so there is no compelling reason to fire on them. At 1,500 meters, a Panther/Tiger will basically kill most Russian tanks with 1-2 shots.

Busboy, that quote is one of my favorites about war. General Lee has always been my ideal of what a general should be like.