Knocked out at a distance?

Originally posted by Panzer Ace:

I just had a Tiger KO'd by a 75mm sherman at a distance of 1650m??? I can see if it was a firefly but man :mad: anyone else experience this sort of thing?? It was a frontal shot too

I had 3 Panzer IVH tanks KO'd with frontal hits by Stuart Mark Vs (?) at ranges of ~1000m in the CMBO battle "Meyer's Decision 1." I think the Stuarts had veteran crews...perhaps that makes them good shots? I thought this was due to my bad luck (which I never seem to lack in CMBO smile.gif ).

Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Ace:

I just had a Tiger KO'd by a 75mm sherman at a distance of 1650m??? I can see if it was a firefly but man :mad: anyone else experience this sort of thing?? It was a frontal shot too

I had 3 Panzer IVH tanks KO'd with frontal hits by Stuart Mark Vs (?) at ranges of ~1000m in the CMBO battle "Meyer's Decision 1." I think the Stuarts had veteran crews...perhaps that makes them good shots? I thought this was due to my bad luck (which I never seem to lack in CMBO smile.gif ).</font>

Originally posted by Panzer Ace:

I just had a Tiger KO'd by a 75mm sherman at a distance of 1650m??? I can see if it was a firefly but man anyone else experience this sort of thing?? It was a frontal shot too
Was it by any chance a weakpoint penetration? It seems to me that each and every armoured vehicle in CM has a weak point at any possible target area. There is a certain chance that this spot is hit and then anything seems to go through and is most fatal for the victim.

A friend of mine had a Jagdtiger killed by a Stuart´s peashooter due to a side superstructure weakpoint penetration at 1350m. In one of my games a squad fired their Panzerfaust at a Hellcat´s rear turret and got a weakpoint penetration - just as if there was anything else than weakpoints on a Hellcat... :rolleyes:

[ December 13, 2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

There's always at least a 1% chance of weak spot penetration, more if the vehicle has a shot trap.

The point here is, however, that the Firefly does not need anything fancy to kill a Tiger. It fires and deal, finito. People should really read the armor spec or the kill chance display.

Absolutely correct Mr.Brightblade :D

I would not have an issue with this if infact the culprit was a Firefly, but it was just a measley old cheaply produced 75mm version, no weak point penetration, I guess one of my tank crew let go with a stickhangranite by accident :mad:

Absolutely correct Mr.Brightblade :D

I would not have an issue with this if infact the culprit was a Firefly, but it was just a measley old cheaply produced 75mm version, no weak point penetration, I guess one of my tank crew let go with a stickhangranite by accident :mad:

Maybe my English is not as bad as I thought :D

Of what nationality was that Sherman? If it was American, it might have been one of the Sherman 76 family. With much luck, a normal AP round of the 76mm gun will penetrate the Tigers front armor at that distance, but you need really much luck. A tungsten round fired by a Sherman 76 will easily penetrate a Tigers front armor.

If it was only a vanilla Sherman, British or American, your explanation seems to be one of only very few possible :D

[ December 14, 2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

if it was a regular old sherman, than fate was just against your Tiger. If it was an upgunned sherman, it would still be rare at that distance, unless it fired a tungsten round. If it was a firefly, than It would be very possible. If one checks the armour penetrating stats of the Tigers 88mm vs the Fireflys 17 pounder in the game, the Fireflys gun actually has a better AP performance. smile.gif