Mines and roadblocks can see?

I'm not completely sure if that is the case or not but the last few battles that I played TCP/IP I could see the opponent's units there where I didn't have LOS but my fortifications (roadblocks and mine) did.

Did anybody else see anyhting like that?

[ November 03, 2002, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Larsen ]

I hesitate to mention this since my evidence is so scanty, but I played one scenario where it seemed that my trenches were giving me ownership of a flag. I didn't have any units close enough to claim the flag, but after I moved my trenches close to it, it changed from neutral to my color. I hope to go back sometime and do a rigorous test on this.

Michael

I've had a similar experience to Michael, but from the other side. Several times playing quick battles against the AI, I've noticed that the AI is holding the flag when I haven't spotted any of his units other then fortifications.

Seemed a little strange, but I wasn't sure if it was a design decision or not, since I can kinda see it both ways...

Ben

(Assuming it looks like fortifications are holding a flag) it would be interesting to know whether they were *really* holding the flag, or whether it just looked to you like they were holding the flag (i.e., the computer made you see the German flag, but if the game ended the flag would really be a "?").

WRT trenches, it could also be the case that your men very briefly saw an enemy unit in the trench, which disappeared by the end of the turn, but which was enough to trigger the flag.

As I understand it, only units that can shoot at least one FP point can hold a VL; this is borne out by my fruitless attempts to hold VLs with gun damaged tanks and no-ammo scout cars :D . So I wouldn't assume that there would be any reason for trenches to affect things, since even if they are treated as friendly units, they have no FP. I suppose mines might be different, though.

You cannot use LOS tool with roadblocks. At least I don't think so. But I'm quite sure that they can spot the enemy units.

I don't know about trenches holding flags. That I never experienced. But all those cases could be connected.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

(Assuming it looks like fortifications are holding a flag) it would be interesting to know whether they were *really* holding the flag, or whether it just looked to you like they were holding the flag (i.e., the computer made you see the German flag, but if the game ended the flag would really be a "?").

In the case that I cited, AIR I still had the flag in question at the end of the game, even though I didn't move any troops closer.

This would be worth giving a closer look sometime though. There is a slim chance that the troops I had in the vicinity were close enough to trigger possession, but what I recall was that I placed the troops and saved the turn (Set Up). When I came back later to work on set up some more, the flag was neutral. I placed the trenches and once more saved the game and quit. When I reopened it, the flag had changed to my color even though, as I said, I had only moved trenches and not troops. I found that striking enough to make an impression on me.

Michael

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

Just tested with roadblocks & trenches, and they can't see squat near as I could tell.

WWB

I've got a funny feeling that what they do is add a "CLEAR" terrain type. I've not tested it though.</font>