Clearing Buildings

When units enter a building that may or may not be occupied by enemy forces, will that unit automatically see the enemy. If I have an infantry squad enter on the first floor, will they find troops hiding on the top floor, or do I have to send a squad or half-squad up there to find out?

I'm asking because I have a few buildings to clear in a PBEM and I am not entirely certain how the game works with house-to-house combat. What I've been doing is moving one squad into the building's first floor to clear it, then a second upstairs, just in case. It takes a little more time, and if I don't have to do it, I'll just skip the step and get troops moving faster.

Thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Krinks:

When units enter a building that may or may not be occupied by enemy forces, will that unit automatically see the enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily - seems to depend on experience of enemy unit in building, whether in command radius of stealthy HQ, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If I have an infantry squad enter on the first floor, will they find troops hiding on the top floor, or do I have to send a squad or half-squad up there to find out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best send someone upstairs to check - if the enemy squad upstairs is hiding, you may not see it unless you send someone up there.

If you run through a building you will possibly miss an ememy unit on the top floor unless he fires at you. Running reduces your spotting capabilities considerably.

I don't think it's necessary to go to the top floor to clear out every building. But you do need to have a unit stop inside on the first floor. It will usually take a few seconds to spot a hiding enemy if he does not shoot at your unit. More than likely he will shoot at your unit, even if he was hiding. AT teams are an exception so you may want to clear out the building completely if you're worried about AT teams.

You could set up a self made scenario and test this out. Play Hotseat with full fog of war. Advance some infantry into a big building with an AT team hiding upstairs. Replay the scenario a few times to get an accurate sense of what the odds are in finding the AT team.

Flamethrowers (yeah!), experienced infantry, and Engineers are good infantry means to cleaning a house up.

Watching a successful infantry assault with close combat with opposing infantry is quite satisfying in CMBO... more so if a small elite formation mops up a large inexperienced formation. VERY satisfying with all the close combat sounds!

There's no guarantee you'll find everyone no matter how long you spend in the building. In a recent game I moved a platoon into an objective building (large heavy) and after a turn or two, started getting infantry sound contacts in the street outside. Over the next several turns, I moved two of my squads across the street and into adjacent buildings, but never found the enemy unit. At the end of the game when I viewed the map, there was a full-strength, unhidden enemy battalion HQ in the objective building, so close to my remaining squad that their bases nearly touched. My squad was facing away from the enemy, but was unsuppressed and in command (in fact, the friendly HQ was in the same building with LOS to the enemy as well). Can't remember what experience level my squad was, but even green troops should be able to locate an enemy less than 5 meters away!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greenman:

Krinks ...

You'll never find all my men ...

muhahaha tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, Greenman, but I will find that tank crew that caused oh-so-much suffering of my armour, and shall run them over with my Shermans until they are nothing but a mushy red puddle of ooze... :mad: ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

There's no guarantee you'll find everyone no matter how long you spend in the building. In a recent game I moved a platoon into an objective building (large heavy) and after a turn or two, started getting infantry sound contacts in the street outside. Over the next several turns, I moved two of my squads across the street and into adjacent buildings, but never found the enemy unit. At the end of the game when I viewed the map, there was a full-strength, unhidden enemy battalion HQ in the objective building, so close to my remaining squad that their bases nearly touched. My squad was facing away from the enemy, but was unsuppressed and in command (in fact, the friendly HQ was in the same building with LOS to the enemy as well). Can't remember what experience level my squad was, but even green troops should be able to locate an enemy less than 5 meters away!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if I was one of the six guys in the battalion HQ, and I heard a platoon come charging into the building, I bet I could find a really good hiding place and stay still for quite a long time if necessary!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Well, if I was one of the six guys in the battalion HQ, and I heard a platoon come charging into the building, I bet I could find a really good hiding place and stay still for quite a long time if necessary!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially if you have an experienced unit with stealth bonuses, esp. with +2.