Any luck with Anti-Tank Rifles?

I haven't knocked any tanks out yet, but I had one tank at close range and every shot hit him. After each hit he would move a little forward, get hit again and move a little in reverse, and so on. It was funny to watch. One use for ATRs when playing against the German controlled AI is to button up the tanks for the rest of the game. It is a bit gamey, though!

Nah - I can't think of a decent line except for "What's a gun of your calibre doing in a joint like this?", and they just slap me and walk out! :(

Can anyone suggest a better line??

AT rifles are very useful for a few reasons:

1) Keeping tanks buttoned. Lots of little pings from nearly unspottable units helps.

2) Work very well against a human. Little way to tell if that "Front Turret Hit--Shell Broke Up" was an ATR or a 45mm ATG from a bad angle. So people tend to back off. The AI is not so sensitive.

WWB

I have but not a single one. I have to group them where 3-4 of the Soviet 45 MM hammer at a tank at around 200-250 m, then I get kills. What others have called pakfront (German) is the ONLY way I have been able to get kills with the AT guns (and not just causing the crew to brown their drawers and bailing).

What I find amusing is to group the infantry tank killers (molotovs and grenade bundles(?)) together then pick on 1-2 close (20-30 m) tanks. Killed 2 last go round in Citadel a Soviets.

[ September 04, 2002, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: pathfinder ]

Originally posted by CombatGeneral

So, have you guys killed any baddos with the rifle? I have penetrated their armor, but no kills. However, after four AT rifles peppered away at a tank for three turns, it went into panic and fled. That was really cool.
No luck with rifles and little luck with 47mm AT guns in Demo but I do love the "Panic" state on armored units.

I killed two Pz III's shooting them repeatedly from the sides and rear at ranges less than 100 meters. I didn't think the ATR could do it but they were the only ones I had left. Much to my surprise the ATRs caused the crew to abandon after multiple penetrations.

I got one! I got one! I got one!

After killing all but one PzIV and losing all my 45mm ATGs in the process, the lone survivor kept slowly advancing, I slowly moved the ATRs 'round behind, using one to keep him buttoned and confused. After a few turns they were all in position and started plunking away at the ass end of the panzer. I tell you, 5 ATRs plinking away at the soft spots will get you a few penetrations and after about three turns, the crew abandoned!!!

I've played the scenario countless times already, thats the only time it happened.

I watched a movie on Saturday on IFC called "Ballad of a Soldier". It was a Russian movie about a 19 year old private that knocks out 2 German tanks with an AT rifle. His action stopped the attack, instead of a medal he wants to go home to say goodbye to his mother....pretty standard Russian movie plot from there.

It was pretty good.

I think, for the date (43) its effektive for its class..

I hade also a courious situation on the kursk map, my last at-gun destroyed a Pz III and after this round, i decided to target the last Pz III 650 meters away in the other direction. What can i say, i was really astoned, he hade a hit percentage from 97%...if we count the Pz with a lower profile as standard and the gun crew wasnt elite...so for what i need better crews or optics??

BTS gave ATR penetration of 35mm at 100 meters.

All the sources I have seen seem to say 35mm at 300 meters. At 100 meters it has to be more!

So I believe ATR are underpowered in CMBB!

But due to skirts ATRs would not be much better in Citadel scenario anyway. But maybe you could get frontal penetration of PzIII turret from time to time...

I just KOed a MK IV this morning surprisingly from 180m. Firing directly behind the tank from the left hill on center of the map. It took about 3 turns and each turn registered a rear penetration until finally the tank was abandoned.

As for the 45mm AT's I have had good luck from mass fire at close range (under 120m front shot ) but nearly all kills are due to rear or side shots. Usually by the end of the turn 4 out of 5 AT's are dead but I'll have gotten 6 to 7 tanks killed as well or immobilized.

I haven't knocked any tanks out yet, but I had one tank at close range and every shot hit him. After each hit he would move a little forward, get hit again and move a little in reverse, and so on. It was funny to watch. One use for ATRs when playing against the German controlled AI is to button up the tanks for the rest of the game. It is a bit gamey, though!
Hehe, one of the first things i did was to see if this gamey trick still existed, and after i buttoned up several tanks with the ATRs i was pleasantly suprised they unbuttoned themselves :D

I cried out of joy :(

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I have seen the Soviet tanks unbutton, but not the German tanks. Maybe it is because I keep up the fire and don't give them a chance. It would be great if they do unbutton though.

They do. If they are not under fire and not in a shaken or panic state.