Suomi vai englanti? Vain suomalaisille!

First of all, thanks to the BTS ofer localization for Finns.

I think that there should be finnish manual, personaly i can understand writen english good enough to survive with english manual. But what about those who don't, but are interested in war games and WW2, should them have a change to get realy in to the CMBB. i doubt that the manual is getting any smaller from CMBO.

ps. sorry for my bad english

[ June 17, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: kmk24 ]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, thanks a lot for participating in this. Our poll, and another poll made be "pelit", have been very interesting. If there will be a finnish manual, and it looks like there will be ADDITIONAL to the english one, rest assured that it will be done by native Finns, so I think you will be positively surprised about the quality of the translation.

I personally think localizing would gain customers who wouldn't otherwise buy the game.

But there are also those of us who speak english well enough that we'd prefer the english version.

So, I wonder, why couldn't you have both? In-game, I mean. Finnish manual and english pdf on the cd (or vice versa) should keep most people happy.

But seriously, you don't even need to code in anything new. Just include the english language as a patch (a simple diff even) that people can install which overwrites the boxed finnish localized files (or vice versa).

Or even, cd space permitting, just include both versions, complete (CMBO wasnt that big, especially if you exclude the files that dont change (graphics and sounds, etc).

I doubt it would be any real trouble to do this.

So why not just have both? Let the buyer choose.

I can't think of a better solution given the fact that figuring out the customers gained vs customers lost in other cases is pretty much guess-work.

Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

I don't need a localized CMBB; an all English version works for me just fine.

What I am concerned about is will we hear the troops from different countries cry out in the game in their native language ? Will we hear the Finnish Jaegers crying out "RYNNÄKKÖÖN" (charge) , or "AMPUKAA" (open fire), for example ?

I agreee with this. The manual and the game texts should be in English, but I would really like to hear proper Finnish when I play them. I wonder where BTS gets their original Finnish speakers, but I really hope they can find someone. The most important is the proper pronounciation of letter "r", which is especially strong among the officers in the army. smile.gif

Even more important is the Russian:"URAAA!!!" as their human wave rushes towards axis lines. It should be done so that if you watch it from 1st person view from the axis line, you just want to run away from the computer smile.gif

Or maybe you could just tweak some parameters of the Rebel Yell and ship it like that...

Yup, voices are so much more immersive than a manual.

I mean, some of our Frogs in game do sound Posh.

Aw Gosh, them German are coming!

I wouldn't hear the difference in Finnish or Russian but I guess it might easily be something that draw customers to the game far more than an additional booklet...

Well, for me it would be a big plus for the game if it was in Finnish. Atleast manual but also other texts would be nice.

One thing I'd like to point out is that this kind of strategy game is much more difficult to learn than ordinary action game. Thats why I think that a Finnish translation could get more players to the game than just English one. So, old hard core strategy fans in Finland can surely make it with normal English version, but if you want to get new customers, translation could be the answer.

Originally posted by Samppa:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

I don't need a localized CMBB; an all English version works for me just fine.

What I am concerned about is will we hear the troops from different countries cry out in the game in their native language ? Will we hear the Finnish Jaegers crying out "RYNNÄKKÖÖN" (charge) , or "AMPUKAA" (open fire), for example ?

I agreee with this. The manual and the game texts should be in English, but I would really like to hear proper Finnish when I play them. I wonder where BTS gets their original Finnish speakers, but I really hope they can find someone. The most important is the proper pronounciation of letter "r", which is especially strong among the officers in the army. smile.gif

Even more important is the Russian:"URAAA!!!" as their human wave rushes towards axis lines. It should be done so that if you watch it from 1st person view from the axis line, you just want to run away from the computer smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by SpaceHamster:

Me thinks they should yell "PERKELEEE" -imho that feels more realistic(cursing)

And rather "tulta"(munille) than "ampukaa" tongue.gif

Yes, "ampukaa" is just a wussy alternative for "tulta munille, perkele!".

"Saatanan tonttu, mä survon sun suohon" for the ultimate insult to cowards. :D

I'd say it would be worth the extra (but I think not too steep) cost to use soundtracks from Tuntematon Sotilas (either version), Talvisota and other domestic war movies so the game soundtrack would be by actual actors and their voice talents.

Please, PLEASE spare us from the Turkku version a la CC3 Finn mod. It was fun... for a little while.

Originally posted by Moon:

Guys, thanks a lot for participating in this. Our poll, and another poll made be "pelit", have been very interesting.

Does anybody have the name of the poll for that one (assuming it is on the pelit.fi site) ? I looked for it and could not spot it.

If there will be a finnish manual, and it looks like there will be ADDITIONAL to the english one, rest assured that it will be done by native Finns, so I think you will be positively surprised about the quality of the translation.

I am surprised the totally localized full page add for MoH uses the archaic translation for mortar (which I assume is used in the original version). AFAIK a mörssäri is not a kranaatinheitin. smile.gif

Well, at least they did not make it a huhmare. ;)

I'd say it would be worth the extra (but I think not too steep) cost to use soundtracks from Tuntematon Sotilas (either version), Talvisota and other domestic war movies so the game soundtrack would be by actual actors and their voice talents
Easy to do as a mod.

Originally posted by tero:

Please, PLEASE spare us from the Turkku version a la CC3 Finn mod. It was fun... for a little while.

Actually, it was a Rauma version. And yes, I agree it was extremely boring to listen to after a few trials.

M

Originally posted by tero:

"Saatanan tonttu, mä survon sun suohon" for the ultimate insult to cowards. :D .

Ah, hearing that in CMBB would really be a divine gift. And something that would certainly raise attention in local games magazines. *hint* *hint*