Stephen Ambrose dies...

V

It is very sad with Mr. Ambrose's passing. :(

Being from New Orleans, in the mid 80s, I had the good fortune to have taken a non credit course at the University Of New Orleans. The course was on the history of WWII.

Mr. Ambrose was energetic, informed, and a wonderful teacher. Taking that course was a pleasure.

However, he did present a very few microscopic errors, like saying that the battleship Yamato had 16 inch guns. Indeed, only a grog such as myself would know of such minutea. It did not detract from pleasure and usefulness of the course.

Mr. Ambrose's USA/Anglo-phile slant on WWII was certainly present, but does not detract from the man's greatness. Certainly, none of us are perfect.

May his soul be blessed. May his family be consoled. A wonderful and great man has passed.

With Sadness,

Richard :(

[ October 13, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

Originally posted by PiggDogg:

It is very sad with Mr. Ambrose's passing. :(

Being from New Orleans, in the mid 80s, I had taken a non credit course at the University Of New Orleans. The course was on the history of WWII.

Mr. Ambrose was energetic, informed, and a wonderful teacher. Taking that course was a pleasure.

However, he did present a very few microscopic errors, like saying that the battleship Yamato had 16 inch guns. Indeed, only a grog such as myself would know of such minutea. It did not detract from pleasure and usefulness of the course.

Mr. Ambrose's USA/Anglo-phile slant on WWII was certainly present, but does not detract from the man's greatness. Certainly, none of us are perfect.

May his soul be blessed. May his family be consoled. A wonderful and great man has passed.

With Sadness,

Richard :(

Like PiggDogg I live in the New Orleans area and although I never had a chance to take a class with Ambrose I very much enjoyed the taped lectures from his UNO WWII history class which were shown on the local cable TV as well as a number of his books. While did not necessarily agree with all his conclusions and agree that his writing was not above criticism, I enjoyed his books. I always felt that some of the vehemence directed at him recently reflected his sin (at least in the view of some academics) of writing popular history.

It is certainly a loss. I'm sorry he never got the chance to write his book on the pacific war. May he rest in peace.

Ambrose was a popular historian that made WWII interesting to non-grogs. He did his job well. The D-Day Museum and his living history projects are superb ongoing efforts.

I've read some of his books and look forward to reading more. I'll miss him, but I'm glad he left so many good things going that we can still enjoy. Thank you, Mr. Ambrose.

From Stephen Ambrose Bio, "Teaching and writing are one to me -- in each case I am telling a story. As I sit at my computer, or stand at the podium, I think of myself as sitting around the campfire after a day on the trail, telling stories that I hope will have the members of the audience, or the readers, leaning forward just a bit, wanting to know what happens next..."

He was a great storyteller, and I think that is how he should be remembered. Not to devalue his work as a historian, but he truly shined as a sort of modern-day equivalent of the tribal folklorist, bringing to life our ancestors and reminding us of why they are so important to our lives today.

Personally, his books D-Day and Citizen Soldiers sparked my interest in serious Second World War history. I'd always been fascinated with the equipment and famous battles, but these books really got me started reading at a more "academic" level. Now, having read alot (well, not really that much, but enough) I disagree with many of his historical conclusions, but I'll never forget the passion for the subject his books sparked in me.

For what it's worth, my two favorites among his books have been "Band of Brothers" and "Pegasus Bridge," small unit histories where his interviewing and story-telling skills came into full play. He was probably less reliable when dealing in grog-level detail or in large- scale generalizations, but, as has been said, he reached a wide audience and was a frequently compelling writer. Since Winston Churchill, has any writer on WWII been so widely read?

[ October 13, 2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

His books instantly got me interested in WWII ground combat. Pegasus Bridge, Band of Brothers, Citizen Soldiers, D-Day...Before that, I was mainly air war...

Sure, he had his opinions, but we all have ours too. If people didn't write of their opinions, much of the reading would be cut and dry. Sure, some of us disagree with his conclusions, etc.

However, the work that he has done to spark an interest in younger generations is invaluable. The D-Day museum, his writings, etc, helped bring the battles and the soldiers to life. May he rest in peace.

I will miss Professor Ambrose.

:(

I am not a grog, just a casual student of military history. Ambrose's "D-Day" got me back into reading about Normandy and is the book I lend out when people are looking to get the 'feel' of the fight w/o getting into a serious history tome.

I travel a lot for work, and his books made excellent airplane reading--just right in size and scope for both ends of a round trip. And better yet, what other military history reads can you can pick up at a WH Smith?? (not counting Clive Cussler...!)

'Band of Brothers' was exceedingly well done on HBO, and will be released on DVD November 5th. I will certainly own a copy (Merry Christmas to myself! :D )

I visited the D-Day museum just last Thursday, and the emphasis on veteran's verbalized memoirs is priceless. I understand that Stephen Ambrose arranged the recording of thousand's of veteran's memories--and that is legacy worth leaving.

RIP Professor; you left us too soon.