Telekinetics? Aliens? What's happening in CMBO???

I'm playing the scenario Commandos Strike in Norway as a PBEM. Strange things started to happen from the very beginning. First at around turn 3 one of my teams disappeared. It was there when I watched the "film", but after I received the turn from my opponent and it was my turn to plot the orders again, it had disappeared. So it couldn't have been killed in action.

Next, around turn 10 or so one of my mortars disappears! I'm like WTF, what's happening now!? But the strangest thing is, that in the next turn when I watch the "film" my opponent had sent me, I see some movement on the other side of the map (which is quite large, BTW) and yes, that's my mortar crew there all alone!

I haven't found the missing team, yet :(

So what's causing this? Any ideas? :confused:

Originally posted by JigVictor07:

Next, around turn 10 or so one of my mortars disappears! I'm like WTF, what's happening now!? But the strangest thing is, that in the next turn when I watch the "film" my opponent had sent me, I see some movement on the other side of the map (which is quite large, BTW) and yes, that's my mortar crew there all alone!

thats so gamey! you did that just so you could KO one of his mortars with your mortar!

good thing CMBB is coming out soon so all these gamey players wont be able to be so gamey!

Originally posted by JigVictor07:

I'm playing the scenario Commandos Strike in Norway as a PBEM. Strange things started to happen from the very beginning. First at around turn 3 one of my teams disappeared. It was there when I watched the "film", but after I received the turn from my opponent and it was my turn to plot the orders again, it had disappeared. So it couldn't have been killed in action.

Wild guess, but perhaps your team recombined into a squad and your mortar team surrendered?

Nah, nah, now Jig is right. I seen this meself. A few months back. I was playing a QB, and had a platoon in a two story building on a ridge. I carefully snuck a schrek up to the second story and as I eased him over to the edge of the building he just up and dissappeared. Poof! Gone, no body, no shootin, nothing. I watched and rewatched the film. There it was, the guy is sneaking and in the next frame he is gone. Beamed up to that big Mission in the sky. So ole Jig ain't telling no yarn, I done seen this meself.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cyberjuju. You must have offended the gods of the internet who have expressed their wrath by snatching away your recon team. But they are merciful, as shown by their return of your mortar. Let this be a sign. I suggest that to placate them you rub yourself with chicken blood and run naked down the main street of your town shouting, "George Bush is Colonel Sanders!" at the top of your voice to everyone you meet. If you follow this advice, I guarantee that you will have no further problems with disappearing troops.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I suggest that to placate them you rub yourself with chicken blood and run naked down the main street of your town shouting, "George Bush is Colonel Sanders!" at the top of your voice to everyone you meet. If you follow this advice, I guarantee that you will have no further problems with disappearing troops.

:D

Michael

I'm sure if I followed that advice here in Finland, disappearing troops would surely not be my biggest problem :D

I think I need to add that they were not anywhere near the border, so they could not have run off the map smile.gif And besides, there was no action between the turns they disappeared.

I'd like to see an answer from the game developers also, if they knew what's causing this phenomenon.

nah happened to me too once, had a US vet rifle 45 squad sneaking along some woods on the right flank when their platoon leader decided it wouldnt be a bad idea to just up and dissapear.

happened turn 2, so for the rest of the games the usual command delays were a pain... :(

I think you're all facing the mightiest weapon of computerized wargaming... The Bug! The whole Eastern Front can collapse into a single infamous bluescreen in a matter of milliseconds or turn your decisive victory to a random ASCII-mumbojumbo. If the Bug is that powerfull, it is possible, even likely, that it can mess around

with unit coordinates... Strange enough, I haven't experienced any problems with the game, no disappearing units or shady crashes.

Still it is good to remember, there are no flawless code...

There's some funny stuff going on. Had a 50mm mortar increasing its bore to 81mm between to battles in an op. Right now I am severlely pissed because I have a Cromwell 7 meters behind a Tiger but it gives me 0% hit and no Kill chance for some reason and instead wants to shoot smoke in front of the Tiger ...

apex

I wrote a C64 game in BASIC some 15 years ago... I called it Computer Ambush (great title, wasn't it ?), inspired by the VG boardgame. All nazi soldiers you killed were set to coordinate 0,0 (outside the map window) and deactivated, but it had this nasty Bug where somehow they sometimes managed to activate themselves again, walk back onto the map in the upper left corner and mess up my pixel troops. Concerning the program, they were officially dead (0 hit points) and there was no way of killing them again. To me it was pure horror - my old C64 created fanatical zombie nazis, all by itself.

Imagine what a modern gigahertz PC with an advanced software could do...