Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is there a way to make the game run perfectly on a p3 600mhz?

You can at least:

1) remove/decrease trees, Shift-T

2) decrease number of men shown in squad.. can't remember what combination it was but it is in hotkeys screen.

Then things that might have some effect, perhaps someone who knows could tell what their real effect is.

3) reduce horizont drawing distance

4) get low-res grass mod from http://www.cmmods.com

If battle has fog or smoke you can turn them off, or to use simplier drawing methods. Which at least on some cards seem to have huge effect. Again don't remember keys used, but hotkeys screen helps.

I think Viper770 is 32Mb TNT2 card, at least it is not better than that.

Which of course is propably better than mine 16Mb SuperSavege IXc that I have in my work laptop (this years top model).

But even such little memore on card I haven't noticed any slowness, except when went to level 5 view in "Danube Blues" urban scenario.

Actually, in my experience, a TNT2 with 32mb is worse than a TNT2 with 16mb, reason being downsampling. The TNT cards really need the help, and alot more happens with 16mb VRAM. The TNTs with 64mb are a horror.

In any case, GeForce4 4200s are pretty cheap these days, and it is christmas time . . .

WWB

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

GEFORCE2!?!

Pssst, hey kid. Get yerseff a graphics card that'll carry the load. A Geforce4 is what ya need. I run one on a PIII 733mhz Coppermine, and got no complaints at all.

If it's a GeForce4 MX it's not much better than a GTS, but OK. It it's a Ti its waaaay costlier and 600MHz proc is too slow to take full advantage of it.

I saw a GeForce3 Ti 500 for $99.00 US in the hardware section of ZDNet.com not too long ago. Let me tell you a Geforce 3 is more than enough card for your CM needs and $99.00 is one hell of a price, way better then the $350.00 I paid last year when it was the big boy on the block.

Hell, your pc is a DREAM machine compared to my aging 300mhz G3 mac! I've been thinking of upgrading my own weeny graphics card lately, but otherwise I've got no complainst at all about running the game. Check the game's minimum/optimum specs on the Battlefront main site.

[ December 03, 2002, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Zimbu The Monkey:

Here are the complete specs:

P3 600 running Windows XP

256 mb ram

Viper 770 vid card

I've tried the demo and the game only runs perfectly in the tutorial mission. Is it possible to decrease the graphical detail and whatnot to make it run smoothly?

Buy a new Athlon XP1800+-based machine with 512 MB RAM, a killer video card, and stack this new machine on top of your old box containing the P3 600.

Converting terrain and building mods smaller will have great effect.

They will look fine even if every bmp is 50% smaller. Decreasing bmps color depth will help too. Smaller the filesize faster you CMBB runs. You can squeeze quite much without sacrificing much of visual quality.