Green Series on CD - Update!

FYI - to those who ordered or are thinking of ordering the CDs...the following is response from CMH:

"Yes, the seven multi-disc CDs will contain all of the 79 "Green Books" (the titles in the United States Army in World War II series). They will also contain, on Set 3, the 40 commemorative campaign and topical pamphlets CMH did for the 50th Anniversary. Set 2 has now gone to GPO for mastering and production--we should see it in September.

John Elsberg

Editor in Chief, CMH"

Originally posted by redwolf:

What was the last word on the maps? Do they includ all maps and is the resolution sufficient to read lace names etc?

I don't know if it is all the maps from the original, but there are quite a few. For example, the Lorraine volume has 50 odd maps. The maps are all color PDF files, and with zoom all names are readable (however, some scans are better than others).

Originally posted by redwolf:

What was the last word on the maps? Do they includ all maps and is the resolution sufficient to read lace names etc?

I've been pleased with the few maps that I've seen so far. Resolution is high enough to zoom in a couple of times and read detailed text and symbols. They are in PDF format, IIRC.

Redwolf, it appears to me that all the maps are there. As Marlow says, some scans are better than others. I reproduced one with my printer on plain paper and without any enhancements, and though it fell short of the original in terms of sharpness, it was in all respects quite usable. I plan to try again at some future time to see if I can't improve the image quality (by going to better paper and instructing my printer to use best quality).

Somewhat surprisingly, some of the text I inspected was of poorer quality. It would seem that they used a hand-held scanner and were none too steady as they swept the page. Unattractive, but still readable.

Somewhat disappointing that they didn't do a better job, but at the price I don't claim a right to complain.

Michael

Oooerrr...I missed hte original post on this - this looks like good stuff - where/who/what can I get more info from???

Great - thanks. boy there's a wealth of information available - I need to win Lotto!! :D

Does anyone know if there's a similar Brit Govt publishing site available??

I can see my lunch time being taken up with web searches for the next few days!! :D

I've been able to print a few of the maps and I have been able to get a good quality output. Readable text and good detail.

All maps, including those in the in separate booklets, are included.

79 volumes, at an average price of 30 bucks is a good chunck of change if you bought each book individually. Geeting these on a set of 7 CDs for 23 bucks a pop is an absolute steal!