Wild Bill's Rumblings of War [Part IV], aka RoW

Holien:

Get a free account at fotki.com for the photo, or send it to me and I will put it up and post it here.

Regarding the battle, we got a score of 56-30 with one small flag neutral. If my model of scoring is correct, that means that 100 points was worth 14 victory percentage points, or in other words the total battle losses plus flags were ~714 points, of which I ended with 400 (100 for the flag and 300 in damage to you), and you ended with 214 in damage to me. (And 100 were neutral of course.)

If you had neutralized the second flag without taking any additional losses, the score would have been 42-30. So set your mind at rest; not rushing the flag did not affect the tournament score result. Of course you still should have, because I am a gamey bastard and I play to win the game, not WWII. (salt w/ smileys to taste)

Now if you have been able to take one flag entirely and neutralize the other (with no additional losses), you would have won. But I don't think that would have happened.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Holien:

;) :confused: smile.gif

H

Hi Mark, good to see you're back on the horse but it appears I may be backing the wrong nag! smile.gif You can be assured that Wreck absolutely plays to win and enjoys thoroughly and painstakingly analysing his battles to ensure his chances of victory are maximised. At least that was my impression when I played him.... to my detriment. :(

Regards

Jim R.

Hey Jim,

Thxs for the belated advice. Wreck was fun and it was a shame that we did not have a more meaty game to lock horns with.

Mind you I might have been better on this game as it was easier to be a close loss rather than a walk over.

There was not a lot of units and not a lot of choice in what we could do. I could have shaved a few more men off him and that is what I failed to do.

The game had a nice feel to it and in a fun match over an evening I would strongly recommend it if played blind by both sides. However once played I think IMO it would not offer much fun in replay.

Spring is on the way here in the UK, I guess you guys are getting out of Summer and into Autumn in Adelaide?

My other games are good for the size and options to do stuff and both are in the balance and could go either way. Waiting on turns from both so send away chaps...

Cheers

H

Update before bed and demons to be exercised. Just had a good phone call with Redecker and talked through the game. Nice to hear the voice of such a good chap. smile.gif

Can't announce the result but I am glad it is over. It ended in a flag rush at the last turn and was pretty pathetic by the gaming standards. No offence meant to redecker, it was just the way the game was supposed to be. :(

After not rushing the flag with Wreck I did it here and feel pretty crap about it. :rolleyes:

I will finish the game with Warren when he gets back and continues the rounds.

Redecker, Wreck and Warren a great opponents tis a pity that my heart is not in these games.

The amount of arty and other issues just saddens me. When we signed up for these games we had to write discussion papers on certain issues and I have just crossd the boundaries on all these issues.

Night

H

As Holien said, the game is over and the results sent off to Treeburst. I'd have to agree with some of his musings as to the gameyness of this particular scenario, and the amount of arty was fearsome to behold.

More discussion to follow after Wreck and Warren have finished their struggle for the hill.

Ah well, scenario design just isn't my cup 'o tea, especially for the non-gamey historical type. I'll be sure to make arrangements for scenarios well in advance next time. Players should keep in mind however that never before seen historical scenarios of acceptable size don't grow on trees. Asking a designer to create a scenario or three for us is asking quite a lot from them. Ya know what I mean? smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

Hi TB,

I know it well and while I know it and the issues you have it still does not stop me from saying how I feel.

My musings here are not meant as an attack at anyone especially not you. I can see that you might be tad tender about what I am saying but I need to exercise my concerns, if only for my mental health.

smile.gif

I will now put a plug in it and wait until the games have finished before I say too much more.

I thought I knew who would win this tourney before the finals.

I had a clearer idea when getting to the finals and after our game last night I now know for sure.

;)

It will be the right result and that is fair. We will have all been rewarded in our own ways; even those who have lost will have won something.

H

Wreck and I completed our game last night; results have been sent off to Treeburst.

I'm done! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this extra time in my life!

I hereby retreat to the sidelines from where I can taunt the finalists still playing. tongue.gif

Tis 9.20pm here and Warren is still bating an Odd turn or two.

Once again my poor Yanks need tin helmets to keep the hot metal bits out of their brains.

I have been having more musings and want legal redress. I claim a racial bias against me, in that I did not get any Brits or Canadians to play with. You Yanks do know the Brits won the war don't you? ;)

So out of three games I demand a replay with a game with some Brits in it!!!

tongue.gif

H

(For those not used to British humour all the above should be taken with two pounds of Miss Mgins finest Salt).

P.s. What does "Homeboy" mean. I do hope it is not anything dodgy. Could someone explain it to me in private please. ;)

[ April 14, 2002, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Question: with the ultra-competitive Nabla scoring system in the finals, will AARs have any impact on the final score? I'm leaning towards providing brief summaries of the action, unless there's some chance that a wonderful AAR will actually change the tourney outcome.

Many thanks to Holien and Wreck, with whom I exchanged a half-dozen turns apiece on Saturday before finishing the scenarios in two TCP/IP sessions for a daylong CM-athon. I can now take the wife and kids on vacation without any tourney thoughts nagging at the back of my consciousness. smile.gif

Special kudos to Holien, who actually phoned (from the UK to California) when the game was over so we could talk in person and compare notes. If/when I make it over there, we'll have to hook up for a pint.

Note to self: Suggest TCP with opponents more often once we're 2/3 of the way through, as enough units are dead by that point that it becomes manageable. ;)

There will be no AAR points for the finals, but I'm sure Wild Bill and Bill Hardenberger would appreciate feedback on their scenarios. As for "Flag Rush Hill", I've already received all the feedback I want. I'm going to do the community a favor and stay away from scenario design. :D

Treeburst155 out.

TB,

The scenario is a fine one in its own class.

I hope you are not serious about staying away from design as there is a spot for those types of games.

Just don't ever use them again when I am around to moan and bitch and whine like a whinging Pom.

As I said before we had cream cakes in the first part and then fruit cake in the finals. I just love dem creammy cakes over fruity ones...

tongue.gif

Redeker likewise. I am sure that we can find a suitable pub to drink in and discuss X Y and Z. Just bring some ear muffs to deaden my moans...

And now on that note over to JK if he has his Mac out?

;)

H

JK's Mac is broken. It has been for a couple weeks now. He's trying to get it fixed before CMBB comes out so he can launch massive, historically accurate Katyusha rocket barrages.

So, how are we doing on these games? I believe Mr. Redeker is finished at this point. No hurry, just curious.

Treeburst155 out.

I Just have the game with Warren and when he gets away from taunting people with his views on other threads we may just finish our game.

I am considering sending the next fews turns with some wierd file naming convention as he likes that.

We have done about 22 turns of the 40. I am within sight of the final push but I have a feeling that life will not be easy especially as those 120mm Morts start TB'ing all over me...

:eek:

H

My game of Flag Rush Hill is now in turn 17, IIRC. I have Warren practically cornered and I am starting to twist down the screws. But I am trying to be very cautious when doing this, because his PzIV/70s are all alive and very dangerous. He also has two vanilla MkIVs left, including one lucky mofo that just got penetrated by a 76mm in the lower hull with no effect. I have lost most of my Hellcats.

The flag rush, when it happens, should be very interesting.

BTW I think this is a great scenario, although I think the Germans probably have an edge. It definitely tests one's tanking abilities.

Well I have to disagree with Wreck on this one.

Flag Rush Hill sure doesn't feel like it favours the Axis.

The Allies have 1/3 more infantry in their squads and all those Vet Hellcats are murder on Reg Axis crews.

A Vet Hellcat is really dangerous in the right hands and Wreck knows what he is doing.

Add it all up and I feel like I am holding the short stick on this one.

Well Capt you are not using your artillery the same as was used on me.

That or Wreck is making less mistakes than me.

;)

The Allies to win this one really have to get in close or get some lucky shots on those big cats.

H

[ April 19, 2002, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Hi TB it is slightly in favour of the Germans. You have to really do a number with what you get as the Allies.

The Allies can certainly win, but have to have their armour handled in a different manner.

After giving the scenario more thought I can see how I would have improved my preformance and it would have involved me using a similar approach to that in Dompaire.

The sheer amount of flags on the hill top does create a flag rush situation and I will explain more when they have finished their game.

H