German Tigers in Russian service

There has been some discussion about which tanks were used by the other side in Russia; just found this in the GD Panzer Regiment history - in October 1943, a railway car with 10 Tigers fell into enemy hands, and two days later an ammunition dump with 220 tons of munitions belonging to GD also fell into Russian hands intact.

This is not to suggest the munitions dump had 8.8cm ammunition (the reference doesn't say) or that the Russians used the Tigers, but it is one of those interesting things you run into in histories and wish you could find out more.

It's an enticing proposition, thinking that two full platoons (troops) of Tigers may have been pressed into service...anyone think that is likely? (I refer you to p. 156 of Panzer Soldiers for God, Honor, Fatherland)

I think it more likely they shipped them off to the labs to study, take apart, test, shoot guns at, etc. Any edge in ammo or new designs against hundreds of the critters on the other side would have to outweigh the value of so few on your own.

Originally posted by JasonC:

I think it more likely they shipped them off to the labs to study, take apart, test, shoot guns at, etc. Any edge in ammo or new designs against hundreds of the critters on the other side would have to outweigh the value of so few on your own.

I'd have to agree with that. I wonder if rexford would know where the Soviet test models came from, or if such things were ever given pedigrees?

i remember reading about french resistance capturing 3 tigers and using em against the germans around caen just after d-day...as far as i remember they were knocked out without any kills..also german troops capturing t-34s near stalingrad,they sent out snatch squads to try and capture russian engineers so they could work em properly...

I imagine JasonC is correct but can't you just imagine how badly some of the Russian officers wanted to use those tanks in maybe a sneak attack against the unknown Germans? I bet it had been suggested at least. They sure could have played hell for awhile.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the engines on the Tiger were bad enough that the Russians would basically use em 'til they broke down and then abandon them. Unlike captured Pz III that they either had enough parts for or they were reliable enough to bother repairing. Can't remember where I read this though....(Achtung Panzer website? wwiivehicles.com?)

Robohn

Well, I was going to refer you all to the excellent site Red Steel, but the site has somehow disappeared, taking with it an amazing collection of photos of captured German armor, up through King Tigers, in Russian service. Anyone know what happened to that wonderful site?

Regards,

John Kettler

i remember reading about french resistance capturing 3 tigers and using em against the germans around caen just after d-day...
I remember hearing that there was the 2nd Company (founded in 1939) as a part of the 9th Infantry Division of the Dutch Royal Army. One of their most successful missions was in 1942; they stole a German King Tiger tank and blew a German defense line to bits and pieces. One way believe they got their name the “Tiger” Company

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Well, I was going to refer you all to the excellent site Red Steel, but the site has somehow disappeared, taking with it an amazing collection of photos of captured German armor, up through King Tigers, in Russian service. Anyone know what happened to that wonderful site?

Regards,

John Kettler

Appears to be up and working again. Try this URL.

While I have not specifically heard of Tigers being utilised by the Red Army, I have read IIRC in one of Zaloga's books, of them pressing into service Panthers quite happily, along with Panzer IIIs and IVs.

Brian,

Thanks for the link, but all the graphics show as broken. Have E-mailed the sitemaster for help.

Troops,

At most, you'd get two Tiger Is on a special flatcar. This is based on photos I've seen. My memory may be spotty; the number may be only one, but there is no way to get ten Tigers on one car, if nothing else, because the car couldn't take a curve.

Regards,

John Kettler

Aye..one Tiger to a specially strenghtned car would be correct. The date was 18th October 1943 near a place called PJATISCHAKI.

The 10 "new" Tiger I tanks had or were to be issued to the Panzer Lehr Division.

This happened on the day when a Tiger "C33" repulsed a massive attack of 40 Soviet tanks...ko 17 in the process. It TC Rample was later awarder the Knights Cross.

Tigers in Combat II

Regards

Måkjager

Havent heard about KTs being used in soviet service, but as a result of the first encounter with King Tigers (namely 501st heavy panzer batallion at Sandomir bridgehead, 13 Aug 1944) 6th guards tank corps captured three KTs in good working condition.

One (#502, currently on display in Kubinka) was found abandoned in Oglenduv complete with full ammo loadout and technical manuals.

Two KTs were promptly sent to Kubinka for testing.

Originally posted by DSS Barbarossa:

I remember hearing that there was the 2nd Company (founded in 1939) as a part of the 9th Infantry Division of the Dutch Royal Army. One of their most successful missions was in 1942; they stole a German King Tiger tank and blew a German defense line to bits and pieces. One way believe they got their name the “Tiger” Company

A King Tiger in 1942? I highly doubt that...

[ June 23, 2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]