"Friendly Fire Isn't"

While playing a night-time scenario I was able to sneak up behind three pillboxes with all three squads of a Brit Platoon: with the Platoon HQ unit in command range.

As the three squads attacked and knocked out the three pilboxes in succession, each Axis crew started to run away.

In each case the Brit Platoon HQ started shooting at the the Axis crew but instead killed every one of his own men in all three squads. :eek: :mad:

Thanx M. Dorosh I am clarifying the scenario was at night

[ May 24, 2002, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

...In each case the Brit Platoon HQ started shooting at the the Axis crew but instead killed every one of his own men in all three squads...

I’m sorry, but…

Never sow this and I'm pretty sure it isn't possible... There is no FF for infantry small weapons in CM.

Look for other possible causes for the fact…

Originally posted by Tanaka:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jeffsmith:

...In each case the Brit Platoon HQ started shooting at the the Axis crew but instead killed every one of his own men in all three squads...

I’m sorry, but…

Never sow this and I'm pretty sure it isn't possible... There is no FF for infantry small weapons in CM.

Look for other possible causes for the fact…</font>

This cropped up with me last night with some US troops sticking grenades into pillboxes. As soon as the crew appeared, I instantly lost 3 or 4 men for no apparent reason, even when they were the only friendly unit with LOS.

Friendly fire does happen at night, you have to keep cancelling target orders to stop your troops killing each other.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Friendly fire does happen at night, you have to keep cancelling target orders to stop your troops killing each other.

Hello,

Very true. For instance, never use area fire at night hoping it will stop once your men get close, because it won't.

I haven't checked if green troops are more susceptible to shoot at friendlies than regulars or veterans. I would guess so, since they have a higher tendency to open fire at anything that moves. Anybody knows?

Sig

I recently did a pbem where my Brits were green and my opponents troops were Volksgeezers. We played in fog, at night in the woods. I think by game's end we had both lost as many troops to friendly fire as we did to enemy fire. It was kind of funny, really.

Originally posted by Sig:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

Hello,

Very true. For instance, never use area fire at night hoping it will stop once your men get close, because it won't.

I haven't checked if green troops are more susceptible to shoot at friendlies than regulars or veterans. I would guess so, since they have a higher tendency to open fire at anything that moves. Anybody knows?

Sig</font>

Hmm I thought FF was regular even when its lighter then night.

Yesterday I was defending and had a SS platoon cleverly hiding in two woods with a clear path between, ideal for advancing armor (well no, but a path past the woods anyway). True enough, a scout car (T8) trundled towards the opening and drove between the woods peacefully. My platoon eagerly opened fire from 10 meters and one squad sprayed bullets and shot a faust... Missing from 7 meters making the faust explode in the middle of the opposing squad. 4 dead. The squad shooting the faust took 1 casualty too. From where? Was this only the faust? Did the T8 spray MG fire at some point? Didn't notice it shooting at all! It only drove onwards for 150 more meters like nothing at all happened before getting shot by a 75mm RCL.

I would have sent the whole platoon to the Ostfront but most died in the following attack and I only got to send the platoon HQ to Poland where they are fighting partisans with Dirlewanger.

Also in confused melees with other units firing from a bit farther and grenades flying all over the squads in "the middle of it" tend to take surprisingly large casualties. Maybe its just the blast radius of all those grenades.

Oh why not, here's my two cents as well...

I've never seen FF during clear conditions but definitely it happens in the fog or at night. I haven't fallen prey to my own troops decimating themselves (yet! though they have shot at each other some). On the other hand, the FF has kept a couple of my squads alive as some german units caught them in the open.... but then decided to fire at their nearby compatriots instead ;)

And to answer Ligur's question, yeah that was just the faust. HE weapons will cause friendly casualities just as readily as against the enemy.

Originally posted by Ligur:

I only got to send the platoon HQ to Poland where they are fighting partisans with Dirlewanger.

That's prettty extreme, considering Dirlewanger's reputation...

Hi Jeff,

I have been playtesting the Commando's scenario (night battle) a lot over the last 5 months and i have observed many FF kills from small arms as well as grenades and satchel charges/gammon bombs.

I have found that if a platoon stands in between the enemy unit and the firing unit FF casualties will occur - if you can arrange your infantry line abreast they will not cause FF casualties (Or the chance is much less).

Some of you need to bear in mind that this is different from friendly units targetting friendly units, FF casualties can happen without any target line, it seems bullets can go astray which makes night battles all the more difficult and challenging.

When rushing or assaulting an enemy position or foxhole your platoon can throw grenades...and when they arrive at the enemy position the grenades can land and kill your own men LOL. The blast from Satchel charges and gammon bombs can also cause FF casualties.

Regards

CDIC

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

There is at night...

Who fights at night? Only bats I think... Aren't we supposed to be a sleep ? :D

PS- Shhiii...don't tell no one, I didn't see the "night" word on his post tongue.gif