Wargamer.com needs our help - victim of hacking

Go figure. Probably using FrontPage Extensions. While the scumbags couldn't have picked a more innocuous victim, this is a gentle reminder to be wary of Microsoft products in terms of security- at least be mindful of their known vulnerabilities.

I'm not saying the grass is necessarily greener in the linux world, but issues are generally patched up pretty quick there, and there aren't as many people trying to destroy non-MS servers.

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

Seriously but in my dictionary, hackers are different from crackers/lamers in some ways.

Oh, NM.

True, but quite often the difference is simply that between an assassin and a serial killer...

What one does for power, money, or art, the other does because he's sick and dependent.

The result, however, is quite often the same.

Originally posted by GJK:

This group from Brazil is reaping some pretty serious havoc on a number of sites. Do a google search on brazil hackers. We just had a security alert about them yesterday up at work.

I did the google search

the key words

"Brazilian Hackers" got me the best hits

Those guys have been VERY BUSY

there is a culture in that country of kids new to computer technology that LOVE to deface web sites AND there are lots of them. It would seem that there are not just a few hackers in Brazil but an entire sub culture of users trying to hack/crack and deface web sites so they can gain enough experience recognition and presitige to be become network security analsysts and make ALOT of money. One kid they quoted was 23 yrs old and claimed to be living on top of the world now because he used to be a GOOD hacker/cracker but now gets paid to consult on how to prevent web sites from being compromised.

So now plenty of young folks in Brazil figure this is a good career option.

Any comments from anyone in Brazil????

-tom w