Do you ever wish you could toggle grid-lines on and off?

Its always been a dilemna.. I despise the way they make the map look like a board game, but I love the way they help you discern the terrain at lvl 3 or 4 view.

Do any of you have ideas on this matter? I am almost to the point of installing CMMOS, and thats huge for someone as lazy as I am...

Well I think it would be great myself. I certainly would love to have the ability to toggle the grids off and on and that's with me using a grass that does a pretty good job of showing elevations. It's still difficult to see without grids but I really don't like to have grids all the time so don't use grid mod. So good idea as far as I'm concerned.

with the recent excellent grass (e.g. Gunnergoz's) and snow (e.g. Tom's) mods, you can almost perfectly distinguish the terrain. Come on, you play CM, because it is NO hexagon-grid board game, don't you tongue.gif

I know exactly what you mean... There are times where even the best grass or snow mods do not let you discern the subtle ripples in the ground. Short of getting down to level one and scooting all around the map (which is cheesy), grids are the only convenient way (at level 3 or 4) of noting those bumps and "grassy knolls" that would be quite apparent in RL.

The basic utility of the grid lines is not at all similar to the hexes of yore. They really just serve to lend a sense of the contours.

I added a button to my CMMOS to set gridded terrain, using the gridded grass that used to be available at CMHG (in Matt's Mods? For all I know, it's still there...) Unfortunately, it's not the prettiest looking grass mod out there, but at least it ain't ugly.

By the by, I've found that after a while my eye doesn't even really "see" the grid lines so much as incorporate them into the terrain scheme.

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Its always been a dilemna.. I despise the way they make the map look like a board game, but I love the way they help you discern the terrain at lvl 3 or 4 view.

Do any of you have ideas on this matter? I am almost to the point of installing CMMOS, and thats huge for someone as lazy as I am...

I have 2 folders for graphics. one is with gridded bmp's, the other without.

a simple .bat - file renames the folders to use gridded or not before starting the game. works for me.

I'm old and slightly color-blind. Grids weren't good enough for me. I went so far as to do away with the grass completely. I replaced it with fairly bright colors, a different one for every two elevations. I then put in a thick, black outline around every terrain tile for a 20m x20m grid. I can see the smallest dip and bump from view four while standing across the room without my glasses on. I tried a "normal" terrain mod awhile back. I've become so used to my mod that I actually can't stand the pretty stuff any more. It looks great, but I can't play!!

The first thing I will do is get the "pretties" out of CMBB so I can play the game. I'm very worried about the doodads and wheat that hides 2/3 of the units. Hopefully I will be able to get rid of these things. I want to make war, not look at postcards. :D

A grid that can be toggled? Not good enough for me, but any optional feature is a good thing in general.

Having said that, I do use vehicle, rubble (juju), smoke and fire mods. Oh, and sound mods. I love to hear good sounds.

Treeburst155 out.

[ July 11, 2002, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I love to hear good sounds.
...and I suppose you turn up your speakers so you can hear them across the room while the stero is on loud. ;)

I've been thinking of making a "topographic map" mod for use during the set up phase, or to examine an created map. Any ultra-high-relief versions available for download? Treeburst155?