Is it TRUE?????

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Moon posted a list of countries that are covered by the CDV agreement a while ago in another thread. Most (all?) Western European countries are in it. BFC is not allowed to sell direct to these countries as it would violate its distribution agreement with CVD.

Moon, for the record is Canada a West European country? What about Quebec? Can sale of CMBB be forbidden to New Jersey altogether?

Suppose I am on Perejil.

Marocco claims it belongs to them, but it is Spanish occupied. Will CDV claim exclusive rights for it? Did you write to the Spanis and Marocco gouvernment that they have to clean their mess up before normal bussiness policies may apply?

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Moon posted a list of countries that are covered by the CDV agreement a while ago in another thread. Most (all?) Western European countries are in it. BFC is not allowed to sell direct to these countries as it would violate its distribution agreement with CVD.

Moon, for the record is Canada a West European country? What about Quebec? Can sale of CMBB be forbidden to New Jersey altogether?</font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Moon, for the record is Canada a West European country? What about Quebec?

Well, maybe not Canada itself ... but the two tiny islands St. Pierre and Miquelon just off the Canadian coast are French départements d'outre-mèr. Which means, the poor Froggies there will share the fate of their far-away countrymen and buy Ze Originnell CDV Kombat Mission :D

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

It seems to me that it should always be mentioned in these threads that this only applies to the Windoze version. Civilized folks will still be able (required) to get their Mac version online (right?). Speaking of which, how will BXX handle advertising this? I stumbled across the Demo on a MacAddict CD (oh, generous Fates) & hanging around this dive is what finally got me really using the 'net for something more than MapQuest. I wouldn't have found it otherwise. I don't think I've seen much mention of Macness in reviews & such, & we don't get many choices period, much less The Best (& no CMMOS, now there's your real downside to being an Apple man).

I'm just lookin' out for my uninitiated Brothers.

Strt

I avoid Mac's like a serf avoids the plague.

But good post. I love hearing how people found CM...

:D

I'm surprised no one has asked which version of CMBB will be sold to those living on Native American Indian Reservations. And what about German nationals working in the German embassies in various parts of the world. What version will they get? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by redwolf:

Suppose I am on Perejil.

Marocco claims it belongs to them, but it is Spanish occupied. Will CDV claim exclusive rights for it? Did you write to the Spanis and Marocco gouvernment that they have to clean their mess up before normal bussiness policies may apply?

:D:D As I´m spanish I have the option of go to Perejil and buy the game from there as it has been occuped by Morocco I will get the american version! (well it has been recapped smile.gif ) :D

When bitching about the safedisk copy protection on the CDV release I forgot one thing:

What kind of Windows will you run in 10 years? (yeah, none if you are clever, point taken).

What would you say if CMBB was technically very well capable of running in whatever Win32 emulation Windows 2010 has. But the only thing keeping it from running is the copy protection.

Compatiblity is not only good for current equipment.

When bitching about the safedisk copy protection on the CDV release I forgot one thing:

What kind of Windows will you run in 10 years? (yeah, none if you are clever, point taken).

What would you say if CMBB was technically very well capable of running in whatever Win32 emulation Windows 2010 has. But the only thing keeping it from running is the copy protection.

Compatiblity is not only good for current equipment.

What a stupid question. I will run Combat Mission 5 on Windows-2012pro. I will have the latest Geforce-15 Ultra, 128 Terabyte RAM and a 100 Gigaherz AMD K-WOOMM Masterblaster CPU. The machine must be cooled with liquid Helium and has a build-in Fusionplant that delivers the necessary 1.21 Gigawatt of power :cool: .

[ July 23, 2002, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Aww, is that the same safedisk stuff that was on Warrior Kings?

For many systems, not mine ofcourse, there has been nothing but problems with it. They've had to come up with workarounds and all manner of fixes.

And sometimes there never is a fix.

I purchased a game last year that add this abomination on it. I swear it damaged my CD-ROM drive. If not damaged, it sure started doing funny things after installing this game. Everytime I inserted a disk it would whirr and spin-up for a seamingly longer period of time. Sometimes it wouldn't recognize a disk.

The fix for those who couldn't read the game's disk was a firmware upgrade to their CD-ROM drive. Unfortunately for some, there was no firmware upgrade. Even more unfortunate were those who could not take the game back.

I think at that point it's class-action lawsuit time against the game manufacturer and SafeDisk for failing to deliver a workable product, damage to machines and breaking the basic EULA that is supposed to give the user the ability to create a backup so they don't have to spend another $10 or so if their CD is scratched.

SafeDisk is the worst. I think there is other disk locking software out there that performs better but I'm not sure. Hopefully if BTS goes this route in the future, they will use something that is more compatible.

Keith

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Even more unfortunate were those who could not take the game back.

Worth mentioning that German game shops do not allow you to bring the game back, which is exactly the market in question here.

Also worth mentioning that it is no CD-ROM drive manufracturer's fault. This copy protection uses undocumented and unsupported features not in the CD standard. Most CD-ROM manufracturers do offer compatibility to safedisk, since customers would otherwise bitch at the CD-ROM, not knowing the facts. But in a lawsuit the drive manufracturer would win anytime.

[ July 23, 2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by Scipio:

What a stupid question. I will run Combat Mission 5 on Windows-2012pro. I will have the latest Geforce-15 Ultra, 128 Terabyte RAM and a 100 Gigaherz AMD K-WOOMM Masterblaster CPU. The machine must be cooled with liquid Helium and has a build-in Fusionplant that delivers the necessary 1.21 Gigawatt of power :cool: .

If you consider CMBB to be any random disposable game, fine. I don't.

To give a real-world example to illustrate what safedisk does.

Imagine you buy a new Ford car and you tow it by hooking up to the rear mirrors. The rear mirrors break. Big surprise.

But major towing truck manufracturers offer only a hook for rear mirrors anymore. So customers bitch at Ford until Ford makes rear mirrors strong enough to tow the car. Ford also gets all the blame, since they now admitted it was their fault in first place and they suddenly, "for no good reason", made their cars ugly, and raised their prices.

[ July 23, 2002, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Worth mentioning that German game shops do not allow you to bring the game back, which is exactly the market in question here.

Some game shops in the US are the same way. Some do allow returns, though.

Also worth mentioning that it is no CD-ROM drive manufracturer's fault. This copy protection uses undocumented and unsupported features not in the CD standard. Most CD-ROM manufracturers do offer compatibility to safedisk, since customers would otherwise bitch at the CD-ROM, not knowing the facts. But in a lawsuit the drive manufracturer would win anytime.

I wasn't saying it would be the drive manufacturer's fault. They are stuck in the middle, much like the end user. I was just stating that sometimes the user is stuck with no firmware upgrades for the CD-ROM drive as prescribed by the game publisher/SafeDisk to resolve the problem.

It would be the game publisher and SafeDisk that should be the target.