What are the best settings for a good QUICK BATTLE against the A.I.?

I'm looking to fill a half out here and there, with a rousing scrap 'gainst the A.I.

Most of these little 300pt dust-ups end up looking the same after a while.

Usually, I just pick random forces, and village/mod/small hills, and have-at-'er. smile.gif

Any recommendations for settings in the Quick Battle generator that would provide an interesting and new challenge?

Thanks,

Gpig

If you want a reasonably small QB against the AI, try a probe, combined arms,you as the attacker, about 7 or 800 points,village or farmland, mod trees and hills, computer pick for both forces, with a plus 1 experience level for the AI, and 125% forces to the AI. I find this is normally enough to make for a challenging battle against the AI.Also make the map large, gives more possibilities to both sides.Everyone will have their own variations, but I have found the above quite good!

If you want a challenging battle play an attack versus AI. Pick the forces for the AI and yourself manually.

I find it very hard to play a 2000 pts attack on a large map with small hills, farmland and moderate tree coverage with the attacker (allies - you) -30% and the defender (axis - AI) having - 1 King Tiger, 1 88mm bunker, 1 75mm bunker, 1 MG wooden bunker, 2 150 mm FO and the rest fill with pzg, HMG and 1 or 2 field/AT guns.

You can pick any force for yourself. Don't give any experience advantage to AI. I hope you'll find it interesting to play.

Personally, I enjoy meeting engagements in which both sides have to maneuver for the advantage. Did one last night with the following settings, 1500 points each, medium sized village map, random weather (rain w/ wet ground...) , combined arms and average experience for both sides, and let the pc pick for the axis while I selected my own force composition. The resulting fight was quite entertaining, pulled off a victory but was quite shocked to see a jagdpanther hull down in the far corner of ther map. I had lost a comet during the fight and couldn't figure out what killed it (spectacular explosion) until reviewing the field of battle after the fact.

Thanks for the swell suggestions, pals.

I tried the idea that Massattack spelled out and it looked pretty entertaining from the get-go. The approach was fun. However, once I started assualting the MAJOR VL enemy Flag towards my right flank (the only Major VL on the map), I discovered that the A.I. had chosen to defend this vital area with just 2 MMG and one HMG. Though overrunning it proved a TAD more difficult than I expected. Despite having two platoons of infantry and previously prepping the area with 105mm arty for 3 minutes, the enemy had placed a small rain cloud of his own (small calibre) artillery over my jumping off point. Thus I did sustain some casualties.

Anyways. the VL fell. But I soon discovered that my computer opponent had placed an entire platoon of defenders at the extreme edge of the map, FAR away from the action. FAR away from any VL. FAR away from ANYTHING important. He spent 4 minutes racing them back to the action. All the while under fire from my forces.

Sometimes, you just cannot have a good battle against the A.I.. It is just too stupid in it's set-up sometimes.

smile.gif

Gpig

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gpig:

Sometimes, you just cannot have a good battle against the A.I.. It is just too stupid in it's set-up sometimes.<hr></blockquote>

Well perhaps you should try the CMScenarioMegaPack.zip. It contains 692 scenarios...I'm sure you could find a "tiny" or "small" one (and choose 'stick to scenario default set-up') that might fit your need for a quick battle w/o it being a QB that allows that AI to stupidly set-up.

I don't know where I downloaded it from, but I have it on my hard drive. Drop me a line if you want me to e-mail it to you.

Cheers,

Kevin

QBs vs the AI (as opposed to scenarios) can be problematic because the terrain seems bland, featureless and unchallenging and the defensive forces (assuming you're attacking the AI) aren't organized in any coherent or effective way.

I've found recently that changing the map setting to make the terrain hillier (I forget the exact name but its the 2nd-to-most-hilly) creates terrain features that can give you more novel attacking problems. Also, while it doesn't necessarily improve the AI's force disposition, there's a chance that you'll blunder into a grouping enemy units that turns out to be very effectively placed for defense and require some quick footwork on your part to counter.

All in all, hillier terrain is something the computer can do automatically that makes the battle a bit less predictable. My feeling about QBs vs. AI is that they're most interesting when you're trying out a specific weapons grouping or tactic--in other words, for experimentation. Otherwise, I prefer the human element that comes with a designed scenario.

For a quick game, I like setting a 500-600 point limit and player pick both sides, a couple platoons of infantry supported by ACs, HTs and light tanks ... nothing over 50mm. Use a small or medium map, not too many trees and its race about and shoot the snot out of each other.

Villages are optional.

• 2 weeks later...

This isnt a QB as such, but a fun way to play.

Make a new scenario about 1280 X 1280 with auto-gen terrain of your liking. Might have to make the map a couple of times to get a decent looking map but that is no drama. Create 3 setup zones for the computer in any shape you like, then add 3 large flags and 6 small flags. Use the small flags as first line defence, then the large flags as main line of resistance - this helps give the computer defence cohesion. Stick the flags across the setup zones so you can see the front going north-south. Next, give the computer who will be playing axis a regular inf Bn and attach some vet armoured Pzg for mobile reserve (maybe have them arrive as turn X re-enforcements). Chuck in some (3-4) ATG's, inf guns (3-4), arty (4) and armour(4-6) of your choice, and dump them into the setup zones evenly.

For your side, purchase 2 (or 3) companies of infantry, 1 regular and 1 veteran, and 2 platoons of armour of your choice (about 6-8 tanks). Add enough apcs to motorise 1 platoon. Add 4 spotters no more than 120mm.

Now you have a nice wide and deep map with a load of flags to attack. Play the scenario as though you only need to capture and hold 1 - one - large flag and hold for 35 turns. This simulates being in the position of a Bn commander and it is your job to open and hold a gap in the German line, which will be exploited by units arriving at games-end.

With those forces you can usually bust in through the outter defence and have a real battle going for a large flag. Holding it becomes very bloody as the computer counter-attacks you with overwhelming numbers.

The numbers might need a bit of tweaking here and there, but overall I find this sort of game more rewarding than the standard qb.

Cheers

SUG

What i've found out recently is that if you set weather in QB to Fog (light fog not thick one) it:

1. Limits the unit identification at range. (keeps you guessing is this M4 Sherman? really an M4 or maybe Jumbo comin at you)

2. Penalizes the gun accuracy (the tank vs. tank engagements becomes more entertaining as tanks usually exchange multiple shots not just one-shot-one-kill action).

3. Makes gun spotting harder (in one QB versus defending AI, one Pak43/41 took out 3 tanks until spotted, something i didn't expected to happen vs. AI, well, i wonder what does it say about me as a CM player ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that does NOT necessarily work is to pick green/conscripts for yourself and crack/elite troops for the enemy. Often the AI just makes them lead suicidal charges. I played a meeting engagement in which the flag was in an empty field. I was stunned as my conscripts sat in a nearby woods and decimated a vastly "superior" elite force that used no tactics except the human wave. I find the AI to be best at defense.

For an extremely challenging QB where you play the AI without your inherent advantage, try playing at Level 1 (except for set up) and Level 2 only when you earn it by placing a unit in a second story.

Use Level 5 but only for precise movement in houses for instance or at the edge of woods. And never scroll with 5.

Try a platoon vs platoon battle first. Maybe

300 pts which will give you some support weapons. Use Infantry. Large or medium map. Village or Rural. Small hills. Medium woods. Good weather.

Realistic setting. A meeting engagement.

Do not let yourself scroll all over the map. Sight only from where your guys are. Tab, 1, then use the arrow keys or mouse to inch ahead until the pixel of your unit disappears. View only from that level. Never zoom unless you have binoculars: HQs.

Never click on an enemy unit. Instead use the LOS tool to scan it. If it doesnt tell you much, so be it. This is the real fog of war.

Most of all use common sense. Simply ask yourself, "could I do this or know about this in real life"? If the answer is no. Then don't do it.

At level 1 every terrain nuance in the game becomes important. Getting to a second story building becomes important. Taking even a small hill gives you advantages. HQs are more important because you can see further with them.

Don't scroll around to scout out terrain. Could you do that in real life? Of course not.

So you want a map view. Ok use 7 or 8 but only to look. Never to plot or click on enemy units. Don't use 3 or 4 because you don't have a scout plane.

Good luck. The AI can beat you up and often win at level 1 play. It is best to start small because it is easy to lose control of your forces when you can't scroll around at level 3 or 4. Only select your own guys by using the + and - keys or point and click if you can see them from where you currently are.

I know, I know. I have described the infantry version of Franko's True Combat Rules. But try it.... you may find yourself surprisingly defeated ... by the AI.

Ground Level Toad

when playing the AI i set the game up as a 700 point battle where the axis attacks and is set as armour. I play allied, usually canadian, as combined arms and then give the germans 25% more forces. I let the experience level of both sides stay at normal. usually you will have one anti tank gun and one tank to deal with the onslaught so the placement of your infantry and mines is crucial. I like Normandy scenarios so i usually pick gentle slopes moderate trees farmland/village in june/july setting. In my case the battle is always a challenge to me at this setting.

Thanks everyone, for your excellent suggestions.

I've tried 'em all. And I've had some real good scrappy-scraps 'gainst the 'puter.

Mostly, he's still a computer. But at least it's now a bit more of a challenge when I fire up a quickie. smile.gif

Thanks,

Gpig

Plus the AI won't even unbutton its tanks, which is why I give it bonus pts to make up for the AFV's it loses due to the vastly decreased 'spotting' abilities of buttoned tanks.

Hmmm...I must train myself on CM's in-game scenario builder, I hear that it helps if you only start the AI out w/ infantry & support teams and some scout vehicles, and then give it arty spotters and tanks later on once you've effectively forced it to establish a screening force.

I find tank fight meetings very enjoyable against AI. Choose 5x75mm Shermans for yourself and 5xPanthers, Hetzers or Tigers for the AI.

When you simply cant kill them frontally, it'll be a whole new game. And Tigers are really tough when you can just barely kill them from flank.

And human wave or not, an assault +200% is not an easy thing to counter. You'll pretty much have to learn to withdraw in time.