CODEMASTERS ANNONCE NEW WWII STRATERGY!!!......

Hi,

I was just wizzing through the codemasters site, mainly looking for stuff on TOCA Race Driver :D , and saw the news about a new game. It is being released in winter. It looks like combat mission BB has already got a rival!

Here is a screenie:

vortal_pic_42742.jpg :eek:

Looks good!

Cheers,

JACKIE CHAN :D

When you say 'rival' - are we thinking of the same definition? Look at that wall to the right of the barn!

There's also a tractor in it, which doesn't exactly remind me of northern france 1944 - and nor does the slope on the roof of the barn.

Wierd.

Also, wrong place for this sort of thing. And please don't post subject titles in capitals, it looks daft.

Hi,

This is only in very early development. I mean about a couple of weeks in, so expect all of them to be fixed. The main reason is said 'rival' was because, look at the graphics engine, smooth, soft textures being churned out. AND....at least it has a D-Day theme.

shotbg5.jpg

For more, go here:

WWII HOME PAGE

Cheers,

JACKIE CAHN :D

If you read the "Press Release" section in that page you can find:

" Codemasters has secured the worldwide publishing rights to The Bitmap Brothers' new real-time action strategy game development project entitled World War II: D-Day to Berlin*. "

1) It's a RTS game, not a "WEGO" like CM. really, It's a rival for "GI Combat".

2) "D-Day to Berlin" ... This name remembers me something ... mmmmm ... :rolleyes:

It uses a updated Z: Steel Soldiers engine. Hopefully that means it will keep the great AI and maybe some of the Bitmaps humour. Not what I would call a rival as it is RT, but maybe good for when you want a quick blast. Thers a screen shot in the new PC Zone (UK), a farm with some TDs, Elephant? used on the eastern front 88mm and based on the Tigers rival, think thats right. Anyway looks realy good. If it plays as well as Z:SS it will be on my to buy list.

Originally posted by Jackie Chan:

Hi,

This is only in very early development. I mean about a couple of weeks in, so expect all of them to be fixed. The main reason is said 'rival' was because, look at the graphics engine, smooth, soft textures being churned out. AND....at least it has a D-Day theme.

Sorry, I already have DoD beta 2.0...

Just like the recently shown WWII RTS from Maddox this gives an indication of what we can expected or hope for, visually, from the next generation wargames.

As for the rest it sounds about as interesting as Sudden Strike, if the press release is any indication.

I mean read this for example..

Codemasters Studio Head Jonathan Smith says:

“World War II was about much more than abstract ‘units’ moving around in textbook tactical formations. It was about heroism, and panic, and courage, and fear about soldiers performing extraordinary actions in extraordinary circumstances. The Frontline system creates a game where real human emotions are just as important as strategy.”

Adds Bitmap Brothers’ Managing Director Mike Montgomery:

“With the Frontline system, this game will be the first action-RTS to deliver a true recreation of the battlefield experience; the first to portray the psychology of warfare, rather than the sterile theory of ‘wargaming’.”

--

Marketing stuff of course, but it still sounds like a very thin soup to me.

--

M.

[Edited to a nicer version]

[ April 06, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Thanks for the heads up but this should be posted in the General forum. Yes, very pretty. Reminds me of Sudden Strike which I played maybe 10 times or so but haven't played it since getting CM. They just aren't even close to playing like CM. But hey! it's pretty.