Invitational Tourney [Part II]

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuerte,

Am ready to fight! I propose Jarmo rules:

Blind map; random side assignment by Treeburst155; we buy troops, then get map. He then draws again to determine whether a player fights with the forces he purchased or uses the other person's. I find this instantly resolves all kinds of force selection problems and adds to the pucker factor.

What say you?

Regards,

John Kettler

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Blind map; random side assignment by Treeburst155; we buy troops, then get map. He then draws again to determine whether a player fights with the forces he purchased or uses the other person's. I find this instantly resolves all kinds of force selection problems and adds to the pucker factor.<hr></blockquote>

I see... so if I want to have a chance to get a huge victory, I buy lousy units, and wish that you get them?? tongue.gif

Also if the forces are switched, then both of us know exactly what the other player has...

I don't know the meaning of "pucker", but this sounds funny enough, so let's do it!

Precisely!

This way, you either have perfect knowledge of what you are about to face, and thus can cower in terror

based on the certain horrors to come, or, you get to face the realization that you bought the wrong force for the terrain you got while having absolutely no idea what you're about to face.

Personally, I think this is one of my all time best wargaming ideas, in that it automatically and effortlessly works to level things out and saves a great deal of negotiation. People can buy incredibly nasty forces, but the purchase process is invariably tempered by the profoundly sobering thought that one's opponent may wind up wielding it instead of being pulped by it.

Treeburst155, who is who in the initial assignment of sides, please? Is there anything else I haven't covered? It's been quite some time since I last had to buy a force.

Regards,

John Kettler

So Fuerte is the real sporting type. Wonderful!! OK then, John buys the Germans and Fuerte buys the Allies. When I get the purchases I'll put them on the map assigned for the Kettler/Fuerte game. At that point I will toss a coin to decide sides. Once decided I will send the file to the German player who will begin the game in the setup phase. Remember, 1,500 pts total. It's gonna be good!

Treeburst155 out.

News from the front!!

CapitalistDogInChina has beaten Ben Galanti, 57-31, in a night battle. This will nudge CDIC's average up a little bit. Congratulations CapDog!!

I will update the website within 24 hours...and yes, M. Dorosh, I will let you know what unit types they chose. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

Sorry there, Shandorf. The scotch was being provided by Claymore who dropped out months ago. I wonder whatever happened to good old Claymore? I liked him, and he played well too.

The main prize, the wine, is still waiting for a winner to be determined. WineCape has already shipped 12 bottles to other tourney winners. His best wines are being put up for this tourney.

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

WineCape,

Fuerte and I still want to know if a "red blend" is the same thing as "rose".

Treeburst155 out.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry for the very late reply gentlemen. Been hectic here in South Africa with soccer season in full swing as well as the wine business.

No, a red blend is not the same as a Rose. I probably should have said "Bordeaux blend" to be exact, as the wine in question, the Vergelegen 1998, consist of 3 of the main varieties used in the top wines of that region in France. See the link in the previous page about the components of the Vergelegen 1998.

There is a debate to distinguish a Bordeaux Blend from a "Cape Blend" here in South African wine circles, the latter blend should supposedly havePinotage as the wine cultivar or as least an anchoring component of the final blend. Pinotage will then usually be blended with a particular estate's Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon or some other red variety.

In South Africa, most estates/wineries keep their best vineyard blocks and grapes for a particular Red Blend, which will then usually sell as the flagship wine of these estates. After all, these blends show the TRUE winemaking skills of a winemaker, where he has to "marry" different cultivars to produce a wine of hopefully good complexity.

Cultivars that are mainly used for these flagship wines blends are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot (pronounced Petty Werdou) and Shiraz.

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

referee.gif

------------------

Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.

-- Ernest Hemingway in "Death in the Afternoon"

O Fuerte, where art thou?

Thou didst challenge, wheedle, cajole and badger me for a game that thou mighteth finish the Invitational, and yea did I send unto thee a setup, to which thou hast not replied in the span of two risings of the sun.

Pray dispatch thy setup unto me, that battle might be joined.

Thy waffenbruder,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

[QB]O Fuerte, where art thou?

Thou didst challenge, wheedle, cajole and badger me for a game that thou mighteth finish the Invitational, and yea did I send unto thee a setup, to which thou hast not replied in the span of two risings of the sun.

Pray dispatch thy setup unto me, that battle might be joined.

That's ok, John. I have yea but you to play to finish up the tourney as well. So if it takes needling, consider yourself needled. I sent you a nice little challenge weeks back which vanished into cyberspace. So strap on your kilt and come out with your hands up! LOL.

Mick_Oz

First of all, Fuerte has now been heard from. He

apparently was so busy sorting out Windows XP's major graphical conflicts with CM that he was unable to fight at all for a bit. Not only did he send his setup, but I have already sent him the first turn.

Mick_Oz, I'm sorry if I've jammed you up, but I was on hiatus here for a while at Treeburst155's suggestion, that I might meet my rapidly approaching deadline in Rumblings to complete all eight mandatory Section II games. Also, as I recall, Fuerte challenged me first.

The good news is that I have only one unstarted game remaining in Section II and am about to complete two there. This means that you'll soon have your wish. To get you started, I wish to fight under Jarmo rules, just like in my current fight against Fuerte. If that's not a problem, then please have Treeburst155 randomly assign initial sides and notify me accordingly.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Mick_Oz, I'm sorry if I've jammed you up [not at all, John.. I'm merely re-advertising as you are now my only tourney opponent left.. not counting my game with Ben which is still underway]

To get you started, I wish to fight under Jarmo rules, just like in my current fight against Fuerte. [Actually, while I can see the charm of this, I would rather play with forces that I pick..that way if I lose, there's no one to blame but myself..lol. But I'm happy to play Short-75, Panther 76 etc and you can pick your desired side. E-mail me and we'll thrash it out..hopefully without undue hassle.]

Mick

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Jarmo,

Yes, I am waiting on Ben's purchases. I will get the game out to the German player promptly, once I receive the file from Ben.

Treeburst155 out.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry about this (and an appology to Mick and Fuerte as well). I've been having e-mail problems this week (as in, I can't send or read any). My ISP assures me it will be fixed today. Of course, that's what they said yesterday...

My purchases are sitting in my outbox, just waiting to be sent.

Ben

(typo's corrected)

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Ben Galanti ]</p>

The fight against Galanti is finally starting. A very nice looking map for "king of the hill". One big hill in the center and all the big flags on top of it. VERY uneven ground with patches of wood all around. Seems infantry friendly.

Since we shopped blind, there was no way to optimize your forces. We'll see what I'll be facing..

Red blend: Blend of different grape varieties? Usually the blend of the best grapes there are?

I have usually about 10 bottles of wine (mostly red) in my "cellar". 99% of them (hehe) are Spanish, but now I have one from Greece and one from France. "Cabernet Sauvignon" sounds familiar, but I didn't find it on any of my bottles. I found "Rioja", "Crianza", "Torres" and other things but perhaps they mean a different thing. The oldest bottle was 1992.

Anyway, it's Friday and I drink beer usually. :D