Game portal for CM?

Are there any plans to create a server dedicated for CM TCP/IP games? I am thinking of something similar to the GameSpy or MSN Gaming Zone.

The reason I would like one is to help players behind firewalls that don't give out an accessible IP addresses to play. If you are behind this firewall you can’t create a game on your computer, you can only join someone else. And what if both you and your friend (enemy) are behind firewalls?

Another good thing would be the possibility to see all players currently waiting for a game to play, a chat function and maybe some ranking and or game result database also?

I also have a private IP scheme (some combination of NAT and DHCP) with my DSL set-up from my ISP. I have heard there is a way to change the settings on my DSL router/modem, to let the public IP address be usable, for lack of a better word, but have not figured out how or if it is advisable.

To date I have not had a problem joining TCP/IP games as you say, but am wondering too when I will play someoene that has the same issues, what to do.

This might be a better topic on the "Tech Support" section, but if anyone has any ideas let me know please.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by von Schalburg:

Hi

Try Thouse: http://tournamenthouse.com/CM/Chat/index.shtml

The best ladder around :)

There's a chat, ranking and lot's of players.

Best regard

von Schalburg<hr></blockquote>

I must admit that I don't really understand how this works but I don't think it solves the problem: a game between 2 players behind firewalls. If it does please enlighten me...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Can't you just turn the firewall off?<hr></blockquote>

Never, ever turn your firewall off.

But if you have one, you should know how to configure it, because a default firewall is a bad firewall. If you can't figure out how to configure it enough to patch thru one port from one IP address, then you probably should not be on the internet in the first place.

NetAdmin has spoken.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

I also have a private IP scheme (some combination of NAT and DHCP) with my DSL set-up from my ISP. I have heard there is a way to change the settings on my DSL router/modem, to let the public IP address be usable, for lack of a better word, but have not figured out how or if it is advisable.

To date I have not had a problem joining TCP/IP games as you say, but am wondering too when I will play someoene that has the same issues, what to do.

This might be a better topic on the "Tech Support" section, but if anyone has any ideas let me know please.<hr></blockquote>

Uh, if you have a router/firewall running then you probably have a public IP, but your computers are on a private network (run by your router/firewall).

Try www.whatismyip.com and see what it tells you.

WWB

If I can live without a firewall, why can't they?<hr></blockquote>

Have fun when the 13-year-old l33t H4x0r d00dz strike.

At a minimum everyone on the 'net should get ZoneAlarm or another free firewall, there's just no reason not to, and they're fairly easy to configure to allow specific programs/ports through.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Specterx:

At a minimum everyone on the 'net should get ZoneAlarm or another free firewall, there's just no reason not to, and they're fairly easy to configure to allow specific programs/ports through.<hr></blockquote>

Me thingks they are talking about one of those little home switch/NAT proxy/DHCP dealies like the ones tat Linksys or Netgear sells... or maybe a real firewall they put up (GO Linux and ageing 386!)

If I can live without a firewall, why can't they?<hr></blockquote>

Hehe. Someone in russia probably read that on their SubSeven trojan logging your keystrokes and started laughing hysterically.

As has been pointed out, ZoneAlarm is free and easy, and actually provides half-decent protection.

As has also been pointed out, the best 'free' solution it to dredge up an old 486, install linux, and run that as a firewall. You can do amazing things, if you know what you are doing.

Place no faith in the WindowsXP embedded firewall, that is just waiting to be broken and is badly designed to begin with.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SpazManOught:

Why would I want a Firewall. The only thing a hacker is gona find on my PC is CMBO as I do most of my work on my iBook which I never connect to the net, I have to reformat reinstall windows regularly anyway.<hr></blockquote>

Most of the time the hacker isn't interested in reading your diary . He want's to use your computer to store, potentially illegal, information for him or use it as a steppingstone when attacking other computers and networks. In both cases those looking for a culprit will come looking for you...

M.

Ok, so how much hacking is he/she gona get done with my 56k dial up connected for 30 mins three days a week?

When you combine this advanced technology with my WinTV cards inspired trashing of my system files every time I use it requiring me to reinstall windows every weekend, and I can see this bad boy hacker getting some real action outa my machine.

Do these hackers realy exist? Has any home user been hacked? not just recieved some lame VBA virus as an attachment.

My work got that Nimda virus thing, brought down our email and web servers, productivity increased by 55% smile.gif .

The only other time the email server has gone down is when I set my email to auto reply. The next day a Unix server emailed me telling me one of my AT jobs had finished, I emailed the Unix machine saying that I had gone on holiday, the Unix machine emailed me back informing me that it was just a Unix machine and that I really shouldn't email it...I emailed back ect...ect...ect..ect...ect...

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: SpazManOught ]</p>

Ok, so how much hacking is he/she gona get done with my 56k dial up connected for 30 mins three days a week?

When you combine this advanced technology with my WinTV cards inspired trashing of my system files every time I use it requiring me to reinstall windows every weekend, and I can see this bad boy hacker getting some real action outa my machine.

Do these hackers realy exist? Has any home user been hacked? not just recieved some lame VBA virus as an attachment.[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: SpazManOught ]<hr></blockquote>

Well of course the risk is related to your exposure. Hardly surprising...

As to the volume of these attacks there are different opinions. Last month I read about a test done by one ISP here in Sweden, that estimated that as much as 75% of all adsl home users will be exposed to some kind of hostile intrusion. I can't remember over what period of time that number relates to but it was no more than a year.

Looking at ZoneAlarm now I can see that it has blocked 31 attempts to access my computer during this session. Most likely they were all "benign" but there definitely is a lot of signal exchange going on.

Another thing that ZoneAlarm does is that it puts you in charge of what programs on your computer that has access to the net. Running WindowsXP it is nice to be able to say "no" now and then instead of having fifty four different applications checking for updates and starting up Explorer etc etc.

M.

Do these hackers realy exist? Has any home user been hacked? not just recieved some lame VBA virus as an attachment.<hr></blockquote>

No, no, no! The Germans will newer attack us. We are friends. We even divided up Poland together... Hey what are those tanks doing here?

A little paranoia is healthy.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Uh, if you have a router/firewall running then you probably have a public IP, but your computers are on a private network (run by your router/firewall).

Try www.whatismyip.com and see what it tells you.

WWB<hr></blockquote>

Yes exactly, I have a public IP addy which is reported out by that web-site, I can also get it off my Cisco 67x commander utility. Guess I could try having someone join a TCP/IP game to that IP address and see what hapens.

And yes, as Compassion mentioned, the Cisco 678 is some sort of NAT/DHCP dealie that my ISP furnished with the DSL account.

I highly recommend a firewall if you have any any sort of 'always on' connection. The little linksys jobbies are only $100.00 or so, and even if they're beyond your capabilities or interest, most people 'know someone' that can help them set it up.

But I also have to agree with everyone who's recommended the 'old PC + Linux (or Solaris, whatever) solution.

-dale

Do these hackers realy exist? Has any home user been hacked? not just recieved some lame VBA virus as an attachment.

<hr></blockquote>

I installed Black Ice the week or so before I had my DSL line turned on. As you say, not a big deal for a dial up user. All was quiet. But man, within an hour after the DSL line was turned on I started seeing port scans at least 10 times a day and one outright whack-a-mole attempt and that was in the first week alone.

That was all I needed to see to know that a software firewall wasn't enough and I took the old 386 out of the closet and put it between my network and the dsl modem running Unix and a strong firewall.

Do these hackers realy exist? Has any home user been hacked?<hr></blockquote>

Just read about some research recently done on hacking.

One researcher set up a network of PCs. Two were connected without firewalls to the internet, with a version of Windows as OS on one, and Linux on the other. (The other PCs were used to monitor any access to these 2).

Within 24 hours the PC running windows was hacked, and the other withing 72 hours.

Just goes to show how important a firewall is.

Mace

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>By Dirtweasle: I also have a private IP scheme (some combination of NAT and DHCP) with my DSL set-up from my ISP. I have heard there is a way to change the settings on my DSL router/modem, to let the public IP address be usable, for lack of a better word, but have not figured out how or if it is advisable.

This might be a better topic on the "Tech Support" section, but if anyone has any ideas let me know please.

<hr></blockquote>

Dw, what you need to do is forward port # 7023 to the internal IP of whatever computer you play CM in, this is accomplished via the SUA/NAT function of your router.

Gyrene

My work got that Nimda virus thing, brought down our email and web servers, productivity increased by 55% smile.gif .

The only other time the email server has gone down is when I set my email to auto reply. The next day a Unix server emailed me telling me one of my AT jobs had finished, I emailed the Unix machine saying that I had gone on holiday, the Unix machine emailed me back informing me that it was just a Unix machine and that I really shouldn't email it...I emailed back ect...ect...ect..ect...ect...

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: SpazManOught ]<hr></blockquote>

Any Windows user must be concerned about hacking. Windows is essentially an open book to hacking, as I found out when a Freshman at my University demonstrated 11 ways to take over my old Dell from his lap top, including one where he did a search for CC numbers and another where he took desk-top level and root level control of my PC.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lindan:

So what is your best option (no I don't have an old 386 around, and know nothing about UNIX)for free firewall software:

Zonealarm?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Lindan ]<hr></blockquote>

A stand alone hardware firewall between you and the cable modem, or buying a cheap computer that uses another, more secure operating system to do your web surfing.

The problem with any soft firewall that rides on your computer is that it still rides on Windows, which is, as has been said, the problem. At the computer security course where I work, they said just the other day not to put anything on your computer which you would not mind the outside world seeing.

An even scarrier thought than your computer getting hacked:

The cruiser Ticronderoga was hacked from the Internet and the intruder was able to turn on the Cruiser's Aegis system, which ran Windows NT 4.0....

(BTW -- it was a government hacker, so no harm was done, but it was scary.)