Movie mode, an important feature...

Since CMBB has no movie playback functionality, please help me convince BTS that the next wargame they build should have this incredibly important feature.

I want the ability to view a complete battle, start to finish with fog of war for either side (or disabled).

Why? Because that way people can learn strategy and tactics faster, and because there is so much miscommunication in these forums as a direct result of people trying to recount their actions in words.

Quite frankly, this is the key feature CM is missing.

Half of these forums are devoted to figuring out what the hell happened in a battle, its just stupid. Post a movie and the community can say "Aha, theres a flaw!" or "Thats the way it probably should have gone down."

Is nobody sickened because they don't get to show off their good work, their excellent strategy, their ignominious defeat (as in my case)?

I want moving pictures dammit!

Originally posted by yunfat:

Since CMBB has no movie playback functionality, please help me convince BTS that the next wargame they build should have this incredibly important feature.

I want the ability to view a complete battle, start to finish with fog of war for either side (or disabled).

Why? Because that way people can learn strategy and tactics faster, and because there is so much miscommunication in these forums as a direct result of people trying to recount their actions in words.

Quite frankly, this is the key feature CM is missing.

Half of these forums are devoted to figuring out what the hell happened in a battle, its just stupid. Post a movie and the community can say "Aha, theres a flaw!" or "Thats the way it probably should have gone down."

Is nobody sickened because they don't get to show off their good work, their excellent strategy, their ignominious defeat (as in my case)?

I want moving pictures dammit!

It would be my guess that they realize this is one of the MOST wanted features in their CMII engine re-write.

BUT I think we will have to wait 2.5 -3 years for it. :(

-tom w

You're probably one of those sickos that wants TV cameras in court houses too. Think of the courtroom sketch artists that people like you have put out of work.

tsk tsk

It would be a nice to have, but there are many people who would not rate full movie playback as "incredibly important." Sometimes a steep learning curve can be part of the appeal of the game itself, and faulty "battlefield reporting" can be an attraction of sorts.

I don't see the difference between reviewing old movie files, and watching them all at once, anyway. A full movie would look silly come to that, since the game pauses at the end of 60 seconds, but continues to play out any shells in flight, so there would be some weird lurches in the playback.

And you are not going to learn anything by reviewing old movies, since the commanders intent - indeed, his very orders - are not recorded. Just the outcome. I tried to write AARs for a tournament by reviewing old movie files and had no idea what was going on. Full movie playback won't make your memory any better, and it won't record the orders that were given.

Sorry.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

You're probably one of those sickos that wants TV cameras in court houses too. Think of the courtroom sketch artists that people like you have put out of work.

tsk tsk

It would be a nice to have, but there are many people who would not rate full movie playback as "incredibly important." Sometimes a steep learning curve can be part of the appeal of the game itself, and faulty "battlefield reporting" can be an attraction of sorts.

I don't see the difference between reviewing old movie files, and watching them all at once, anyway. A full movie would look silly come to that, since the game pauses at the end of 60 seconds, but continues to play out any shells in flight, so there would be some weird lurches in the playback.

And you are not going to learn anything by reviewing old movies, since the commanders intent - indeed, his very orders - are not recorded. Just the outcome. I tried to write AARs for a tournament by reviewing old movie files and had no idea what was going on. Full movie playback won't make your memory any better, and it won't record the orders that were given.

Sorry.

Im sorry, but I think you are wrong on every point you made. I am tired of faulty battlefied reporting, I have been reading it for 3 years now. I am also not alone when I say the learning curve for CM may be too steep, and that movies could decrease the time it takes a "newbie" to become proficient at the game. As for the resultant playback... those are minor issues on the technical side. Sure it wont record orders, but for that we can rely on the old standard, words, we merely have to post a comment asking the person who issued the orders: what did you order in turn 15?... was it an assault or a fast move, etc. As to your comments about not learning anything from a movie, "well, thats like, your opinion man."

;)