Cows, Screenshots and those annoying Unit Markers

DOH - posted this in the General Forum by mistake. GAAAHHHHHH (Has a moderator EVER moved a post FROM the General Forum to the CM forum before??)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I thought I had the perfect solution to helping out with screenshots - those annoying enemy unit markers that you can't get rid of. I replaced the German cross, etc., with a cow - results look good, but then it dawned on me that these unit markers are also displayed inside of buildings....hmmmm delete.jpg

Who's laughing? I'm not laughing. That's funny Michael. I suppose a cow in a building isn't all that unusual. I knew Canada was cold but had no idea you guys brought your cow's in. Funny. That was a good laugh. Yes, that may be the first time they bumped a post from the general into this forum. Wow! you are lucky. smile.gif

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Maybe someone could make a CMMOS compatible mod for these things so that you can load transparent markers when you want to take a screenshot.

I know, it doesn't help the Mac people.

How about a shot-up civilian automobile for urban shots? With building transparencies turned off, it might look ok....

I remember reading a long time ago that it was customary in some place for people to build their dwellings above the barn so that the heat generated by the bodies of the livestock would help keep their homes warm. Don't remember where exactly this was, but it sounds vaguely Scandanavian somehow.

The thing about shot-up cars in urban settings doesn't sound quite right to me. Of all the wartime photos I've seen of combat in cities, almost the only ones of civilian vehicles I can recall were ones that had been pressed into service by the military, and there weren't many of them.

Michael

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Maybe someone could make a CMMOS compatible mod for these things so that you can load transparent markers when you want to take a screenshot.

I know, it doesn't help the Mac people.

Yes, yes, more cows and with CMMOS we'd get the option to have different camo cows:

Ayrshire

Barzona

Beefmaster

Black Baldy

Blonde d'Aquitaine

Braford

Brahman

Brangus

British White

Brown Swiss

Canadienne

Charolais

Chianina

Corriente

Danish Red

Devon

Dexter

Dutch Belted

Galloway

Gelbvieh

Guernsey

Hereford

Highland

Holstein

Jersey

Limousin

Lincoln Red

Maine-Anjou

Marchigiana

Milking Shorthorn

MRY

Murray Grey

Normande

Norwegian Red

Piedmont

Pinzgauer

Red Poll

Red Sindhi

Romagnola

Salers

Santa Gertrudis

Shorthorn

Simmental

South Devon

Sussex

Tarentaise

Texas Longhorn

Watusi

Welsh Black

White Park

... and, and with the option to have different brands on their rumps

Yeknod

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I remember reading a long time ago that it was customary in some place for people to build their dwellings above the barn so that the heat generated by the bodies of the livestock would help keep their homes warm. Don't remember where exactly this was, but it sounds vaguely Scandanavian somehow.

The thing about shot-up cars in urban settings doesn't sound quite right to me. Of all the wartime photos I've seen of combat in cities, almost the only ones of civilian vehicles I can recall were ones that had been pressed into service by the military, and there weren't many of them.

Michael

Well, I tried a shot up car mod, and it doesn't work - they are seriously underscale and look dumb next to a dead body, and worse, they float about 2 scale feet off the ground!

I guess the 64x64 pink square is the best solution for screen shots - CMMOS would be a nice way to do that, I guess!

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Michael

Yeah, it was quite common up at least to the 12th century all over Northern Europe.

Dorosh:

You've utterly done it! :D

Take your unit marker idea one step further and convert them into single soldiers. When they go into concealed mode, they'll appear as a single soldier. No longer does one have to area fire on an abstract unit marker. You can now area fire on a foot soldier that appears like any other.

I'll send you a test and see what you think.

The drawbacks are as follows:

1) Vehicles appears as oversized foot soldiers when they go concealed.

2) On some steep terrain, it looks like the unit is floating when viewed from the eye level perspective.

3) From the top-down view, the unit looks a bit goofy.

[ April 07, 2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: bfamily33 ]

Originally posted by bfamily33:

Dorosh:

You've utterly done it! :D

Take your unit marker idea one step further and convert them into a single soldiers. When they go into concealed mode, they'll appear as a single soldier. No longer does one have to area fire on a abstract unit marker. You can now area fire on a foot soldier that appears like any other.

I'll send you a test and see what you think.

The drawbacks are as follows:

1) Vehicles appears as oversized foot soldiers when they go concealed.

2) On some steep terrain, it looks like the unit is floating when view from the eye level perspective.

3) From the top-down view, the unit looks a bit goofy.

thats a GREAT idea

Some one should mod those unit markers into a generic Allied soldier (just one) and a generic Axis soldier (just one) and use them instead of the nationality identifier unit marker. I would assume they would show up WITHOUT a base (I always play with bases on smile.gif )so they would be immediatly identified as just a marker for "There used to be an enemy unit here" :D

GREAT IDEA!!

When will the mod be ready?

-tom w

Originally posted by Yeknodathon:

moo

What I meant was that the marker would be all pink and thus transparent so you wouldn't see anything. The idea is for uncluttered screenshots, not for gameplay. A while back someone suggested transparent markers to enhance FOW.

its in beta phase, OH! I should add here that Bfamily did the work on the mod and sent me the files, I just installed them in my game and posted a few screen shots.....

these are pics from playing as the Germans.

This is what the Marker looks like now:

http://homepage.mac.com/tcw/MarkerMOD_By_Bfamily/PhotoAlbum3.html

Picture%2066.jpg

Picture%2059.jpg

Picture%2060.jpg

how's that?

-tom w

[ April 08, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

its in beta phase

how's that?

-tom w

Two things..

#1 What about vehicles? Won't it look odd to see a single soldier when it was a Panther a moment before it went behind that tree line?

#17B5 In CMBB there is now a hot key toggle that will disable all game aid graphics which include targeting lines, the compass rose, padlocked unit outlines, TRP's and spotted markers in the action playback mode. Flags and bases can be turned off normally.

Madmatt

[ April 08, 2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

its in beta phase

how's that?

-tom w

Two things..

#1 What about vehicles? Won't it look odd to see a single soldier when it was a Panther a moment before it went behind that tree line?

#17B5 In CMBB there is now a hot key toggle that will disable all game aid graphics which include targeting lines, the compass rose, padlocked unit outlines, TRP's and spotted markers in the action playback mode. Flags and bases can be turned off normally.

Madmatt</font>

Hi,

Madmatt wrote,

"#17B5 In CMBB there is now a hot key toggle that will disable all game aid graphics which include targeting lines, the compass rose, padlocked unit outlines, TRP's and spotted markers in the action playback mode. Flags and bases can be turned off normally."

Great, it is my lucky day. Just about a week ago I posted requesting that one should be able to get rid of TRP and the like for an "all natural" look. As I say I am in luck.

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

its in beta phase

how's that?

-tom w

Two things..

Madmatt</font>