Cows, Screenshots and those annoying Unit Markers

Originally posted by Madmatt:

What about vehicles? Won't it look odd to see a single soldier when it was a Panther a moment before it went behind that tree line?

"Always with them negative waves, always with them negative waves." :D

Seriously, yes. It looks odd when not only does that Panther turn into a single soldier, but it turns into the Jolly Green Soldier as the unit marker for vehicles are oversized!

However, if you can condition yourself into accepting the oversized soldier (in lieu of a star, cross, etc.) the overall visual realism is improved on the battlefield. This is especially true for massive infantry engagements. Note the Mod marker looks just fine when representing concealed infrantry. Conversely, I'll admit, the marker wouldn't be a good fit for a heavy duty armor engagement with few or no infantry.

I've sent Tom some screenshots that better portray the generic markers versus the soldier markers. Perhaps he'll post them.

Yes, one could also go the extreme FOW route and paint them pink as previously suggested. However, that misinforms you as to real information that should be available to your soldiers (previously spotted unit ducking out of sight).

I'm still testing it. I'm not totally sold but I'm getting close.

Forgive me for jumping in here, but you have excited me with this thread. The generic unit markers could be birds. Birds are supposed to be in the air. Birds come in little and big. Birds belong in an outdoor picture. Think of the modding possibilities...ducks, geese, hawks, parakeets, condors and vultures...I'm excited!

--Randl :D

Originally posted by Randl:

Forgive me for jumping in here, but you have excited me with this thread. The generic unit markers could be birds. Birds are supposed to be in the air. Birds come in little and big. Birds belong in an outdoor picture. Think of the modding possibilities...ducks, geese, hawks, parakeets, condors and vultures...I'm excited!

--Randl :D

Interesting...keep talking...Continental Swallows, perhaps,...or North African ones?

YOu know some bird grog would just tell you they don't match bird sounds, though....