Good Russian Tank/Eastern Front Websites

We had the good books or CMBB, now we need good websites for CMBB! I dont recall seing this posted before, so here we go!

I have always visited Achtung Panzer!, but am looking for GOOD and ACCURATE websites which are comparable to Achtung Panzer!, but for russian armour. Also, any websites that have a good amount of information about the eastern front will be good.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

I spent the night looking for some, and found a few alright ones. Here are the links if anyone else is interested:

The Battle for Stalingrad

The Russian Battlefield

Operation Barbossa

Tanks on the Prowl

and here is the Achtung Panzer link that has great amounts of information on all german armour and vehicles of WWII:

Achtung Panzer!

But I have yet to be able to find any REALLY good Russian AFV sites. Does anyone know of any?

Chad Harrison

[ August 23, 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Chad Harrison ]

My GD site below has the following:

Sketch histories of all the Axis nations' military contributions to the eastern front, as well as Foreign Legions.

Sketch histories of all Soviet and allied national contributions to the eastern front.

Articles on the Soviet soldier in general, a Panzer Lehr vet's experiences in Russia, and a look at village fighting in the Soviet Union reprinted from a military circular of the time.

Lists of rank and responsibility for the German, Soviet, Finnish, Romanian, Italian, Hungarian and Slovakian armies (as well as Luftwaffe and SS).

Listing of the common bravery and campaign awards issued to Soviet, German, Finnish, Romanian, Hungarian and Italian troops, with info (where known) on numbers awarded (ie rarity), criterion, etc. - hopefully of use to campaign creators.

Lists of all Axis divisions that saw servive in the east, including date and location where possible - hopefully of use to scenario designers.

Weather chart for the GD front.

Information on German vehicle markings and uniforms for mod designers.

Plus extensive information on Pz Gren Div Grossdeutschland for anyone interested in the history of this formation.

As for the question of Russian AFVs - I find good sites on anything Russian are hard to come by, but the Russian Battlefield seems to be one of the best we've found so far.

[ August 23, 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

My GD site below has the following . . ..

I have been to your site, and it is indeed a good one!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As for the question of Russian AFVs - I find good sites on anything Russian are hard to come by, but the Russian Battlefield seems to be one of the best we've found so far.

That is the impression that I get. I have tried to find some more information, but did the NKVD kill all those who had cameras on the Eastern front so the civilians wouldnt know how bad combat was or something? Its like trying to find pictures taken by the Japanease!!!!

Anybody know of any else?

Chad Harrison

Just as a follow up, I have been looking over the The Russian Battlefield web site, and out of all the sites listed thus far, this is the one that I would suggest the most! It is very detailed and has a lot of good pics! So if you are not familiar with Russian armour, take a look around so you know what your up against when playing as the germans!

Chad,

You're welcome! Excellent idea capturing all this info in one place.

Here's part of a huge site on the history of Hungary. The parts concerning the Hungarians in World War II run from thou14.htm-thou17.htm. Might even please the resident historians.

www.hungary.com/corvinus/lib/thou/thou14.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 25, 2002, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

And more goodies...

Kursk OOB data from both sides. Soviet side newly declassified in early 1990s.

www.angelfire.com/wi2/foto/ww2/proh/page4.html

Soviet Storm Group Tactics at Stalingrad

www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/Fath.html

PDF files covering myriad meaty Eastern Front and other topics.

http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~funfacts/Page3.html

Search hint: Found all of the above several posts using Google Advanced Search under "antitank rifles." Tons more there.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Here's a site devoted to Finnish infantry weapons.

Don't panic. It's in English.

John,

You're an inexhaustible host of links ! Incredible ! And thanks for this site, I myself am Finnish and wasn't aware of this before you came along !

Thanks ! :cool:

[ August 27, 2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Prinz Eugen ]

Wow John, were you doing your own research on the Eastern Front? You have a wealth of sites! Thanks a lot. I will be posting this along with my most common tank information before the release of CMBB Demo, and I will make sure to give you (and everyone else) a big thanks for your help!

Any others please?

Chad Harrison